Thread: PSU for GTX690

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PSU for GTX690

Just making sure that this PSU will be enough to run this (below) set up for a friend of mine:
    the PSU --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087

The specs will be:
    i5-3750k
    8 gigs of ram
    noctua nh-d14
    250g SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 690
    blu-ray disc drive
    corsair 600t case
    gigabyte z77-ud3h mobo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by trauk10 View Post
    Just making sure that this PSU will be enough to run this (below) set up for a friend of mine:
    the PSU --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087

The specs will be:
    i5-3750k
    8 gigs of ram
    noctua nh-d14
    250g SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 690
    blu-ray disc drive
    corsair 600t case
    gigabyte z77-ud3h mobo
    well yes it will the tdp of a 690 isn't that high and seasonic makes top notch psu units.
    better question what is that rig gonna be used for or is it a case more money then sense?

honestly i'd almost consider the GTX 690 before i would going SLI.
    But i play games more than wow and diablo, on my 570 Far Cry 3 is helluva demanding and I'm sure a 690 would lock it at 60 im getting mid 30's to 40s on my card with MSAA at 2. everything else maxed. So it the 690 can be useful im sure. even at 1080 I would think.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

750w gold will run gtx 690 like its nothing, I run with 850w gold and gtx 690 and it's an overkill.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    honestly i'd almost consider the GTX 690 before i would going SLI.
    But i play games more than wow and diablo, on my 570 Far Cry 3 is helluva demanding and I'm sure a 690 would lock it at 60 im getting mid 30's to 40s on my card with MSAA at 2. everything else maxed. So it the 690 can be useful im sure. even at 1080 I would think.
    I run with i5 2500k at 4ghz, 8 gig 1600 ram and gtx 690, I can run any game on max np, wow locks at 120 with vsync and max graphics and never dips below it in regular play and LFR, so the gtx 690 does a lot to compensate for lack of CPU power I assume.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    750w gold will run gtx 690 like its nothing, I run with 850w gold and gtx 690 and it's an overkill.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:14 PM ----------

I run with i5 2500k at 4ghz, 8 gig 1600 ram and gtx 690, I can run any game on max np, wow locks at 120 with vsync and max graphics and never dips below it in regular play and LFR, so the gtx 690 does a lot to compensate for lack of CPU power I assume.
    well that is true it can't imagine it being worthwhile to get a 690 now with geforce titan around the corner and 7xx and 8xxx are expected within 3-6 months (maybe even sooner on some cards depending on how they are released)

also 120 fps in 25man raid? i highly doubt that

well my friend wants 'the best' and i'm building it for him and he's paying me so ya haha, it's mainly for gaming since that's all he really does but he wants it to last him a long time so i threw this together for him. But thanks for the replys!
    Also on a side note, 120hz monitors.. is 120hz 1080p monitor > 60hz 1440p monitor? or how's that work, not so knowledgeable with monitors.

I would take a 60Hz 2560x1440 IPS monitor over a 120Hz 1920x1080 TN monitor, without a doubt.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    well my friend wants 'the best' and i'm building it for him and he's paying me so ya haha, it's mainly for gaming since that's all he really does but he wants it to last him a long time so i threw this together for him. But thanks for the replys!
    Also on a side note, 120hz monitors.. is 120hz 1080p monitor > 60hz 1440p monitor? or how's that work, not so knowledgeable with monitors.
    well if that is what he is after why not get some nice hydrocopper classified cards?
    we could compile a total overkill setup easy around here if you provide some more details on what is needed :P
    as for monitors there aren't any 1440p 120Hz screens out there. (there was some old catleap series that could be overclocked but was unstable iirc)
    what type of monitor depends on what kind of games he plays, shooters favor 120Hz slighltly but i can imagine a MMO being way better on a 1440p 60Hz screen.
    (Hz is the refresh rate of the screen, maximum amount of fps it can show aka anything above 60 can't be seen on a 60Hz monitor)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well that is true it can't imagine it being worthwhile to get a 690 now with geforce titan around the corner and 7xx and 8xxx are expected within 3-6 months (maybe even sooner on some cards depending on how they are released)

also 120 fps in 25man raid? i highly doubt that
    Thats fine

well he's not rich haha i put together the best i could with the money he wanted to spend that i felt wasn't too overkill on specs or on money. he plays mainly WoW and wants to play this total rome or total war game coming out, i forget name of it, it's like a huge RTS somewhat i guess, and then just whatever games he wants to play in the future. alright so 1440 it is

If he wants "the best" then shouldn't you be getting a Corsair psu? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010 It's cheaper anyway. Customer support>product. Also http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp works well for figuring out your psu needs.

Deleted
    well he's not rich haha i put together the best i could with the money he wanted to spend that i felt wasn't too overkill on specs or on money.
    Then be a good friend and get a 7970 GHz edition for him, that will be more than enough for him. A 690 will be complete and utter overkill for him.

Im running a 7970 @ stock on 1440p and im running everything on ultra except for MSAA and stuff like that (you dont need it as much as on 1080p, because you have more pixels on 1440p )

Quote Originally Posted by tekk88 View Post
    If he wants "the best" then shouldn't you be getting a Corsair psu? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010 It's cheaper anyway. Customer support>product. Also http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp works well for figuring out your psu needs.
    the seasonic is cheaper atm with the -45 discount and also is the corsair full modular or just semi? i know seasonic is full cause i have one for myself. I know corsair prolly has better products and for sure customer support but i haven't had any trouble with this seasonic one as of yet. And they seem to be identical other than brand, and price.

Also he's stuck on the 690, i tried to talk him down to the 680 and it was a no go lol. he doesn't wnat to have to upgrade anything for a long time, 5-10 years lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Thats fine
    well it's flat out impossible so either it does dip below 120 fps or settings aren't maxed out take a pick i'd say .
    because false claims in performance help noone.

as for the OP with mainly wow and RTS games pick a 1440p and a nice 670/680 or 7970 Ghz should work more then fine for that. (cpu matter more but with an i5 you should be covered you could however spend the money saved from not getting a 690 on a i7-3770k)

a 690 likely pales in 5 years with whatever card will be out on the market at that time, talk some sense in him and suggest buying a new card every +- 3 years should give better performance in the long run and likely saves money.

he doesn't wnat to have to upgrade anything for a long time, 5-10 years lol
    Try to beat some sense into the guy. Nothing lasts 5-10 years besides case/psu/monitor. 3 years is what I'd give for GTX690. In 2016 you no longer can play everything at max and need to turn video settings down in crysis5. Maybe 4-5 years if he never plays any first person shooters but in that case the card is insane waste of money.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i already talked him down from an i7 cause all he does is game and an i5 is enough for that, especially if I OC it a little. I might try to talk him down from 690 but we'll see. My last question would be about SSD, the samsung 830 vs 840 vs 840 pro, what's the main differences there if any?

Deleted
    840 uses less durable NANDs and is bit lower performance. Samsung 830/Crucial M4 is great and reliable. If you don't mind the extra premium then the Samsung 840Pro is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    840 uses less durable NANDs and is bit lower performance. Samsung 830/crucial is great and reliable. If you don't mind the extra premium then the Samsung 840Pro is the way to go.
    840 is lower performance than 830? that's odd. Alright then i'll go with 830, he doesn't need no 840 pro lol.
    Might aswell ask you guys about sound cards too cause i've never looked into them and he wants one badly because he has one now and loves it so how does this one look? or do you guys have any suggestions on that?
    http://www.soundblaster.com/products...aster-zxr.aspx
    looks pretty ridiculous just from the preview of it lol

840 is lower performance than 830? that's odd. Alright then i'll go with 830, he doesn't need no 840 pro lol.
    Might aswell ask you guys about sound cards too cause i've never looked into them and he wants one badly because he has one now and loves it so how does this one look? or do you guys have any suggestions on that?
    The Corsiar one is not fully modular. The 24 and 8 pin connectors for the mobo are hard wired, but you'll need them anyway. I understand why you would want a fully modular one though. I never delt with Seasonic support, so was just throwing Corsair out there. 690 would be nice, but like shroudster said, new gpu's aren't far away. I have a 680 and it blows everything out of the water (wow, skyrim, bf3), but if he's made up his mind then atleast he's future proof for a while.

btw good choice on the noctua. That thing cools better than some liquid cooling loops (h100i to name one).
    The ZXR would be overkill for him. Go for the Z or ZX. ZXR will come with a tag of 250$ fyi.

Deleted
    well samsung ssd's make no sense imo. (i'd suggest a vertex4/vector from ocz)
    what kind of headphones/speakers does he want to power with a soundcard? (got a feeling onboard will suffice)