Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Planned Parenthood @ Factcheck.org

In another thread I mentioned how I am a long-time supporter of Planned Parenthood.

Here's a link to how Factcheck.org sees them:
    http://www.factcheck.org/2011/04/planned-parenthood/
    We received several questions on this topic during the recent budget debate in Congress, after Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl claimed this month on the Senate floor that "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does" is provide abortion services. That figure was wildly incorrect. Planned Parenthood says only 3 percent of its total services in 2009 were abortions. The other 97 percent of services were for contraception, treatment and tests for sexually transmitted diseases, cancer screenings, and other women’s health services.
    Why do I support them? Well, it's low or no cost health services that help keep the population down. I just happen to think that the last thing we need is a lot of unwanted kids being added to society.

That's just fascinating.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    That's just fascinating.
    Republican pulling numbers out of his ass? not surprising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kyl

10+ Year Old Account
    Planned parenthood has really been demonized by the right. Which is a shame as it does a lot of good that isn't even remotely related to abortion or even birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Planned parenthood has really been demonized by the right. Which is a shame as it does a lot of good that isn't even remotely related to abortion or even birth control.
    Yep, they keep complaining that tax dollars goes to funding abortion which isn't even REMOTELY true. Considering there is a LAW the specifically states that planned parenthood cannot do that. It is called the Hyde amendment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Amendment And only 3% of Planned Parenthood's budget goes towards abortions and its mostly for consultations and referrals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    And only 3% of Planned Parenthood's budget goes towards abortions and its mostly for consultations and referrals.
    Yes, but they're also against most of the other 97%, e.g. contraceptives and STD screening/treatment.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes, but they're also against most of the other 97%, e.g. contraceptives and STD screening/treatment.
    Why would they be against STD screening and treatment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Because they think that in an environment where kids are encouraged to screen and treat their STDs, they'll be encouraged to have lots of sex too, which for some reason is sinful and shameful in their minds.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Because STD screening and treatment allows filthy sluts to have immoral sex without the horrifying consequences they deserve.

Just to be clear, the above isn't my actual opinion.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Reeve said. That if this stuff is available, it encourages kids to have sex. I'm sure it does, to a very small degree but I'd wager our society's demonizing of sex and sexuality to be a bigger reason why kids engage in it.

i thought planned parenthood was funded by the religious right or something weird...
    probably remembering wrong, but don't the actually persuade against abortions because:jeebus?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    i thought planned parenthood was funded by the religious right or something weird...
    probably remembering wrong, but don't the actually persuade against abortions because:jeebus?
    No. You seems to be confusing them with crisis pregnancy centres.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    I don't know if they actively persuade against abortions, but the work they do providing contraceptives prevents more abortions than anything the religious right gets up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What Reeve said. That if this stuff is available, it encourages kids to have sex. I'm sure it does, to a very small degree but I'd wager our society's demonizing of sex and sexuality to be a bigger reason why kids engage in it.
    Teens engage in sex because that's what humans do. I agree that the demonization you speak of is extremely harmful, and leads to more unsafe sex, but I don't think it leads to more sex in general.
    Last edited by Julian Rayne; 2015-04-24 at 09:28 PM.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Why do I support them? Well, it's low or no cost health services that help keep the population down. I just happen to think that the last thing we need is a lot of unwanted kids being added to society.
    Sounds like an idea with some allure to me actually..
    That way mankind gets eventually rid of that breed of people, and when they're extinct the rest of the human race can start over without them and has a chance to continue for thousands of years to come, with a real chance of a reasonably enjoyable future.

That's about the one positive aspect I get from this nonsense.. Socially awkward people not wanting to breed, that's a good thing.

I am not pro-life movement. By far not.. But the anti-birth/children extreme is just as bad....
    It's like I'd had to decide who's dumber the stupid or the idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Prohibited fun always had an exaggerated allure....
    Remember the cherries in the neighbors backyard.. They clearly taste better than the ones in your own yard..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That way mankind gets eventually rid of that breed of people, and when they're extinct the rest of the human race can start over without them and has a chance to continue for thousands of years to come, with a real chance of a reasonably enjoyable future.

That's about the one positive aspect I get from this nonsense.. Socially awkward people not wanting to breed, that's a good thing.

I am not pro-life movement. By far not.. But the anti-birth/children extreme is just as bad....
    Which is why the religious right and conservatives hate it. They hate "hand outs" like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a woman doesn't want to have a child she can discuss that with God.

I just think the OP side tracks the issue.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-04-24 at 09:34 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Prohibited fun always had an exaggerated allure....
    Remember the cherries in the neighbors backyard.. They clearly taste better than the ones in your own yard..
    I'm...not entirely sure what is being said here. You want for people that have sex and not procreate to die off?
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I don't hear god stating any objections to abortion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No, she can discuss that with the man that would be the father, and with her doctor...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I'm...not entirely sure what is being said here. You want for people that have sex and not procreate to die off?
    No, I want people that want to keep the population down, to die out.
    I think I've made that pretty clear when I said "anti-birth/children extreme
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    No, I want people that want to keep the population down, to die out.
    I think I've made that pretty clear when I said "anti-birth/children extreme
    This is still kind of a strange concept for me. Are you proposing that the people who fear overpopulation should die off in order to solve overpopulation, or just that they should die because you disagree with them?
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.