Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Give PVP matches tutorials already

We don't need new interfaces, we need something more useful for new players. This is the second PVP tab interface change.

Global Agenda has a simple feature which consists of 1-2 min video tutorials for each of their PVP types. It clearly outlines the objectives and specifics of every map in such a way that as soon as you step in, you know what to do.

They should make something like this for AV, Isle, AB/Gilneas, WSG/TP, to stop this endless cycle of new players who join BGs and have no idea what to do and have people screaming at them and crap.

IT'S NOT HARD. YOU DON'T NEED "MAJOR RESSOURCES" TO DO THIS. I can do this with FRAPS ffs in a day if they'd let me.

"The purpose of Alterac Valley is to kill the enemy general before they kill yours, or to force the enemy team to reach 0 reinforcements before yours does. There are 4 enemy towers whose destruction cause the enemy to lose 100 reinforcements. They must be claimed by your team then defended for x minutes without being retaken before they are destroyed.
    Capturing enemy graveyards allows your team to spawn closer to your objectives, etc..........
    Each mine gives your team a small reinforcement replenishment boost, which can be helpful in the event referred to as a turtle, etc........... "
    Last edited by ragnarokvr1; 2013-01-28 at 01:42 PM.

While this sounds like a nice feature, Battlegrounds are no rocket science. You will be clueless the first time, but you will figure it out quickly. Those who don't wouldn't bother to watch the tutorial anyways, because they already didn't bother to figure it out on their own.

Deleted
    Warsong Gultch pvp tutorial : take the flag!
    The name of the bg is longer than the tutorial itself lol.

Outside of AV i don't see any need for it, in AV the reinforcement mechanic may be a bit unclear for new players.

I mean the bigger problem are just people who know what to do and still do the wrong thing because they don't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjeska View Post
    While this sounds like a nice feature, Battlegrounds are no rocket science. You will be clueless the first time, but you will figure it out quickly. Those who don't wouldn't bother to watch the tutorial anyways, because they already didn't bother to figure it out on their own.
    True, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people that fight pointlessly in mid during a WSG, not contributing to the procurement of the flag in any way, shape, or form. Or the infamous "road Rambos" of Arathi Basin.

I think a tutorial like this would be fine (we've got them for the PVE heroics and raids now, and that saves us an ALT-TAB to Wowhead); then again, I do agree with your point on whether they'd bother to watch it or not. Be funny if Blizzard made it so that BGs were locked until you watched the tutorial, but then people would probably just let the video play while they grabbed a sandwich or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Really? I thought it was "fight by yourself in the middle somewhere and don't defend the FC!"
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    You'd be surprised at how many people have no idea what some battlegrounds are about and just keep running with the group. Katmogu is a bad offender when it comes to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    The name of the bg is longer than the tutorial itself lol.
    That's not even close to accurate on how WSG works....you have EFC team, FC team, even one or two people you want to try to lure the other side into fighting in mid.

I wouldn't mind something like this for new players getting into battlegrounds. The only issue is the nuances of every battleground is something you can't exactly capture in a short tutorial that would keep their attention focused.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    True, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people that fight pointlessly in mid during a WSG, not contributing to the procurement of the flag in any way, shape, or form. Or the infamous "road Rambos" of Arathi Basin.

I think a tutorial like this would be fine (we've got them for the PVE heroics and raids now, and that saves us an ALT-TAB to Wowhead); then again, I do agree with your point on whether they'd bother to watch it or not. Be funny if Blizzard made it so that BGs were locked until you watched the tutorial, but then people would probably just let the video play while they grabbed a sandwich or something.
    I've rarely met people so stubborn as they would so "NO, I SHALL NOT WATCH A 2 MINUTE VIDEO TO BETTER HELP ME UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY YOU CAN'T FORCE ME *HIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*".

No point in giving tutorials. Even if you somehow forced people to watch them they aren't necessarily gonna care about any of the information they received.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I've rarely met people so stubborn as they would so "NO, I SHALL NOT WATCH A 2 MINUTE VIDEO TO BETTER HELP ME UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY YOU CAN'T FORCE ME *HIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*".
    Are you kidding? People always complain about having to watch cinematics so I doubt they would somehow not complain when they are "forced" to watch a tutorial.

I am also convinced the vast majority of players skip tutorials in pretty much every game if they are able to do so.

Deleted
    Those who refuse instruction are always those who need it the most. You cannot change this, and this will never change on its own.

Of course, however, this would still be insanely helpful to so many people.

They should make them like school loans now a days and test you on them directly afterward, lol. Win some free honor.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    None of the BGs are compliciated enough for this to be worthwhile.

Players that want to ignore objectives will do so regardless of a tutorial.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

I'd just like it if they added skirmishes back. Their excuse that not enough people played them was utter bullshit. And they could pretty easily extend skirmishes into would-be tutorials for bgs.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem isn't people not knowing how to play the battleground, the problem is people ignoring objectives in favor of honor kills.

My suggestion is to make honor exclusively objective based when it comes to battlegrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The problem isn't people not knowing how to play the battleground, the problem is people ignoring objectives in favor of honor kills.

My suggestion is to make honor exclusively objective based when it comes to battlegrounds.
    AND increase honor gains from kills in the open world a thousand fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ToR even does this. Shouldn't be hard to make a 30 second video that says "Defend this, capture this, hold X."

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 10:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    AND increase honor gains from kills in the open world a thousand fold.
    Hundred fold and I'll gladly agree.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

really? blizz needs devote time they could better utilize on important content to write tutorials in how to jump around in circles to be behind your opponent pew pewing away?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I'm pretty sure they talked about adding some kind of Dungeon Journal to PVP.
    And by the way, PVP is getting new UI in 5.2