Deleted

Big "Noob" looking for help for a budget build.

Hiya,

As the title says, I'm rather clueless when it comes to computer builds, and I've never built a computer my self before.

I'm currently looking for a build that costs around £600 (preferably not more than £630-650). I already have a decent monitor, mouse and keyboard so all I'd really need is the actual components. I also have a MSDNA version of Vista 64-bit so the OS is covered. If you were able to link me towards a decent and well priced component website for the UK I would also appreciate it.

What I'm looking to do is mostly play WoW on Ultra settings during 25 man raids at around 50+ FPS preferably (if that's not possible for around £600 it would be fine if I were to turn down shadows and view distance down). I don't really play any other games apart from WoW so that would really be all my gaming needs. I'd love to be able to maybe record and possibly stream once I get better internet too but those 2 things aren't a big priority of mine.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Did a bit of juggling around and came up with this build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£76.20 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£36.98 @ Dabs)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£161.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.95 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£36.98 @ Novatech)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£17.63 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £634.16
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 16:37 GMT+0000)

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly suggest going with what is linked above, it's very similar to what these guys on the forums suggested to me, built it on Friday and it runs WoW like a dream, along with other more graphically demanding games too like BF3!!!
    If it HAS to be under £630, and you don't plan to overclock, you can skip on the CPU cooler, as the I5 comes with one. Alhough I went with the cooler, as it looks gorgeous and at least gives the option of a better overclock in the future!

Edit: Wouldn't the Western Digital Caviar Blue be a cheaper option, without losing out on any performance?
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2013-01-28 at 04:50 PM.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Edit: Wouldn't the Western Digital Caviar Blue be a cheaper option, without losing out on any performance?
    It is cheaper yes but you lose some performance.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah fair enough. (Clueless noob here myself). I ask as it's what I went for out of reading a random thread on here. I will probably go for a 2nd one soon and have it a black one. Pretty much only storage on my part currently, although excitement of new rig may try doing some videos. I'm guessing the fact the OP will be recording, then the OP might actually see this performance gain.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Deleted
    Thanks jhold, the price is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for. Will have my income in a few weeks and than I'll start looking into buying those components. If I were to get some extra money, would it be worth buying a SSD or would it be better for in game performance to just upgrade something like the processor/graphics card?

And also I don't really have much of a clue about overclocking other than the fact that it's got something to do with changing some settings in the BIOS, if I were to bother to look into it and did it, would it be risky for the CPU since I use my computer close to all day atm?
    Last edited by mmoc1a4db8ee37; 2013-01-28 at 05:09 PM.

The 660 is enough for WoW.
    Adding a SSD later on is a good idea but it won't effect in-game performance, it will however make everything else better when it comes to using the computer.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

If you do get some extra money then yes I would say go for a SSD. The CPU is great for gaming so you should need to change it and as for over clocking it there should be no risk unless you really, really mess up(which is kinda hard to do). You could upgrade the graphics card to like a 660 ti or maybe a 670. I'm using the same cpu and cooler but with a different motherboard and a gtx 660. With the cpu OC'ed at 4.5ghz I'm able to run WoW on ultra with no trouble. Granted I haven't done any 25 man raids yet since my highest lvl toon is lvl 88.

The SSD would speed up load times and boot times. I would also recommend getting a better OS. I would get a new OS before the SSD if you only have the money for one or the other imho.

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    The SSD would speed up load times and boot times. I would also recommend getting a better OS. I would get a new OS before the SSD if you only have the money for one or the other imho.
    You have 3 days left to get the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $15. http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You have 3 days left to get the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $15. http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com
    So if you can get a little extra money saved up I would go with

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£76.20 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£36.98 @ Dabs)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£80.54 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£161.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.95 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£36.98 @ Novatech)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£17.63 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £714.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-28 20:10 GMT+0000)

Plus the 15 for the Win 8 upgrade