Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Never had any problems with ADSL tbf, got slightly higher ping than friends with cable, but I'm also on wireless.

Also, lucky people. Fastest I can get in Belgium is 100/50 cable (60-ish EUR/mo) and 25/5 DSL (50 EUR/mo).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    100/100 Fiber ftw. No second thoughts.
    Yeah 100/100 fiber is all you'll ever need and it's extremely stable.

Deleted
    off topic, i wish my country would provide internet tv and phone, with them speeds for that price!

100/100 Fibre. Not even a contest really.

It's unlikely you will need more bandwidth anyway.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Yeah 100/100 fiber is all you'll ever need and it's extremely stable.
    Ever need makes it sound like 20 years from now the internet will be the same.

Files have been getting bigger over the years, don't forget! :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Stability matters and fiber will likely provide better latency.

Quote Originally Posted by Camo View Post
    off topic, i wish my country would provide internet tv and phone, with them speeds for that price!
    me too man, i would have to pay 90-100 USD for basic tv, phone and a 10/1 connection here
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ever need makes it sound like 20 years from now the internet will be the same.

Files have been getting bigger over the years, don't forget! :P
    I can tell you I'm getting a bit tired of 100Mbit, been using it for almost 10 years.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Fiber for sure, its the most stable and best future-prof

xDSL has loads of overhead and alot of error-correction have to occur, one may not notice but its there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Stability matters and fiber will likely provide better latency.

me too man, i would have to pay 90-100 USD for basic tv, phone and a 10/1 connection here
    Currently have 24/1(In reality it's like 10/0.7 :/), it never crashes or DCs and always same DL speed/ping(assuming I'm not downloading anything while playing) and costs 29€ per month.
    My phone has a 16/5 connection and it can reach to like 12 Mb DL when I'm in a good 3G area, and it costs 16€ with unlimited DL/UL bandwidth.

Kind of awkward to have a faster phone connection lol... Well, nothing I can do about this BS "copper cable" wiring that limits the speed that much

imo: Stability is the thing you want from your ISP, mine has never crashed or have I had any disconnect/ping issues during the ~10 year period I've used the ISP.

15+ Year Old Account
    The fiber solutions usually brings way better pings and stability and I personally dont want to have less that 100mbit upload as well.
    100/10, 250/30 is less appealing.
    With 10,3mb/sec download/upload anything will go fast enough as it is.

100/100 fiber in Sweden and I've had as little as 5ms to German CS servers and 3ms to Danish, try to beat that shitty ComHem.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-01-29 at 10:39 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

It really depends on the age of your local fiber buildout. If you're in a BPON network it can be god awful. Myself and my neighbors have had nothing but horror stories with FIOS because of BPON's inherent capacity problems. Half of our street is back on cable with their old Verizon ONTs still hanging off the side of their houses.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Imo, pick whichever connection and provider that gives you the most reliable and best quality of service. There's no point having a super fast connection if the network is congested and runs slowly. You may need to check your speeds, ADSL2+ doesn't go beyond 24Mbps. It may be a different variety of DSL (VDSL2 for example) but you should check, it seems you may be confused at the moment.

I have ADSL2+ running at 17Mbps down, 1.1Mbps up. It's perfectly reliable and my provider is excellent. I always get maximum speeds at any time in the day, low latency and I can directly call them if I need to. Sure, I pay a premium for the quality but it's worthwhile to me. You'll have to decide if you want quality over speed. I'd be very reluctant to take a faster connection unless I had the same service level.

DSL can be very reliable. Here's my last resync in the log:

Nov 30 04:02:53 dsl-7800n.home.gateway dsl-7800n pppd[11556]: Connection terminated.
    Nov 30 04:02:53 dsl-7800n.home.gateway dsl-7800n pppd[11556]: Connect time 125373.3 minutes.
    Nov 30 04:02:53 dsl-7800n.home.gateway dsl-7800n pppd[11556]: Sent 16622784836 bytes, received 188389209896 bytes.

(The DSL didn't even lose sync, it was just the PPP session dropping due to some maintenance work)
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-01-29 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Can ADSL even be that fast? I thought it was limited to 24 or 32 mbits max.
    You are right, not sure whats it called on english. It's through the TV output (kabel broadband I suppose?)

Maybe a mod could change the title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Can ADSL even be that fast? I thought it was limited to 24 or 32 mbits max.
    Lots of "ADSL" is actually VDSL or VDSL2.

VDSL2 is capable of 100Mbps up and down if you run it on a 500m loop, though in most circumstances, the money you'd spend getting the loop that short would be almost as much as you'd spend going to end-to-end fibre. Around here, they never bothered getting the maximum loop length shorter than 900m (Which gives you ~60Mbps to play with) and are rolling out fibre in the major cities currently.

Hello!

So I decided to go for the Fiber, so today I called up the internet provider to get it.. and just to make sure I asked what speed they promis me, they answered me that they'll promis me any speed between 50-100/50-100mbit.

I told them I'd get back because this changes things.

Should I still go for the fiber even tho they only can promis me 50-100/50-100 ?

I mean, if Im unlucky Ill end up with a 50/50 fiber. If Id go for the cable broadband atleast the worst thing I can get is 150/30. (I spoke to them and they said if its lower, they will fix it for me).

Thoughts?

I would still go with the fiber, I don't know anyone that doesn't get at least 90Mbit with their "100Mbit" connection.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450