Page 1 of 3
LastLast

To commit the Taboo

Lets say hypothetically because I haven't heard of any instance where it was performed except in one shitty movie, You were given the opportunity to be killed under controlled circumstances in a doctors office
    (Though it is in many opinions [EXTREMELY] Unethical and very few doctors today would probably do it)
    , Left dead for 30 seconds or more and then revived just to experience what "Death" Is and Inb4 The obvious, Yes I know that depriving the brain of fresh blood and oxygen for any period of time can result in extreme damage to the brain, but again Hypothetically They developed a way to keep you from behind hurt in any way,

Would you attempt this, Or would what ever belief keep you from this.

My answer would be I would jump at the chance to do this, I am always thirsting for new scientific knowledge and this is one of the most ultimate answers to existence which in itself does not make sense. Even If I were to discover that you simply return to the gaping void of black-nothingness you came from before you were born, I could still easily continue living.

The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Technically I view death as brain death, so realistically it would be impossible to experience "death" until it actually is my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

If it was a guaranteed dead/come back with no damage done then I would try it for sure! Would be one hell of an experience!

I think I would like it too much, so no.

No thanks... Im pretty sure drugs would be safer than that.

The op said it was hypothetical and that no harm would come to you... anyway

I dont think death is something you can be brought back from, so whatever you experience would be nothing more than unchained imagination, shaped by blahblahindividualbeliefsblahblah. So no, this would hold no intrigue for me.

I'd say death is pretty overrated.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

If you are coming back then you are never truly dead, and therefor will never see the hypothetical end. You cannot go to heaven, have a quick look around then come back to describe it.

Yes, if I wouldn´t get any lasting damage from it. I´ve always wondered how death is.

Herald of the Titans
    its probably the same as falling asleep and waking up again, its just your bodys way of dealing with traumatic experiences (falling unconscious)

Why is this a taboo ?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    If you are coming back then you are never truly dead, and therefor will never see the hypothetical end. You cannot go to heaven, have a quick look around then come back to describe it.
    I'd do it if it would disprove this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'd do it if it would disprove this statement.
    What if you went to hell for those 30 seconds. Some believe those 30 seconds would last an eternity. That would be a very shitty experience, and probably leave you messed up forever. The same can be said for going to Heaven for 30 seconds and then be forced to come back to life which, in theory, is way worst than heaven. So you would probably be messed up either way.

Or you would experience nothing and have your beliefs shattered. All around not seeming like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by applejuice007 View Post
    Or you would experience nothing and have your beliefs shattered.
    Who said I had beliefs?

No, I imagine death is like when I am sleeping without dreams, this sometimes causes insomnia where I can not go to sleep. I don't think anything special happens when you die, you just die.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If I knew 100% I'd make a full and speedy recovery, sure.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

Pretty sure I'd be traumatized for the rest of my life, regardless of what I experienced in that minute. I'm already fighting the idea that it's a nothingness, that you'd be aware of, which is just terrifying to me.
    Also known as Faulchu

Everyone knows what death is like. You "experience" it every day (most likely) when you sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    Pretty sure I'd be traumatized for the rest of my life, regardless of what I experienced in that minute. I'm already fighting the idea that it's a nothingness, that you'd be aware of, which is just terrifying to me.
    Why though? If you think hard enough you can remember the time before you existed, There was no hot, no cold, no up, No down, No right, no wrong, No happy, No sad. It's very much likely you return there.