Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Extended point cap - more punishment then reward?

Oh look at my point cap for this week and currently I am at 1300/3602. Somehow having an extended point cap does not give my the feeling of getting rewarded, it isn't exciting nor fun it's more akin to being punished for having a higher rating.

The problem is that as higher your cap as more time you're forced to invest to actually make it each week. In the past the number of games stayed the same as your reward was increased alongside the extended cap thus keeping the number of games required the same. Now with the change from 1350 > 1800/2200 without any kind of rating and said change it becomes longer and more and more tedious to cap each week.

Shouldn't having a higher cap be something desirable and good instead of this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Part of me wonders why you're playing if you don't enjoy it. If you don't enjoy playing, then play as much as you can handle and don't worry about the cap. If you enjoy playing, then the increased cap means you can continue enjoying playing and continue to be rewarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was better when you only needed x wins (i think it was 7) regardless of how many points you earned yourself for the week, so that no matter what your play level, it only took x amount of wins to get capped for the week. i feel your pain though op, pretty shitty the way it is right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Part of me wonders why you're playing if you don't enjoy it. If you don't enjoy playing, then play as much as you can handle and don't worry about the cap. If you enjoy playing, then the increased cap means you can continue enjoying playing and continue to be rewarded.
    The problem is having to play a lot each week, especially when people from the normal group aren't available and you're forced to stack up on randoms. Making to cap is important to stay competitive as the season goes on, otherwise you'd fall behind. We had a system previously where both the ammount you get per game and the ammount you CAN earn went up simultaneously and it was a good system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Exactly. If you don't like PVPing that much, don't push yourself to do more than you feel like doing. You'll just end up not liking it at all. If Blizzard raised points gained per game, that wouldn't really help people who like to PVP. That only helps people who put up with it.

The problem is having to play a lot each week, especially when people from the normal group aren't available and you're forced to stack up on randoms. Making to cap is important to stay competitive as the season goes on, otherwise you'd fall behind. We had a system previously where both the ammount you get per game and the ammount you CAN earn went up simultaneously and it was a good system.
    The extended cap is to help players catch up.

There is a finite amount of Conquest that any player can get at any given time. With the current caps, if you do not cap you fall behind and do so each week that you don't.

Those that are competitive will always be capping their points until they have all their gear, whereas another player, whom say only plays half as much will only ever half as many points and take twice as long to get geared.

With the extended cap, the points become available to all, now this does not mean that each and every person will get every piece of gear. Everyone still needs to play the expected amount of time needed, but now you can choose.

For example, say one week you go on holidays or just want to take a break from the game. You can then use the next week to catch up and farm the points you would have lost and not fall behind in the gear curve at all.

Blizzard reduced the grind in WotLK and Cataclysm because players felt forced whenever they had the opportunity to do something. That was the entire reason for the daily caps as well as the removal of separate 25 man and 10 man lockouts. Going back to a playstyle which they very well know players feel like is "forced grinding" is a terrible call.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: going back on precedents you have set is going to hit Blizzard where it hurts. I'm honestly expecting sub losses rivaling Cataclysm this quarterly report.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look at my point cap for this week and currently I am at 1300/3602. Somehow having an extended point cap does not give my the feeling of getting rewarded, it isn't exciting nor fun it's more akin to being punished for having a higher rating.

The problem is that as higher your cap as more time you're forced to invest to actually make it each week. In the past the number of games stayed the same as your reward was increased alongside the extended cap thus keeping the number of games required the same. Now with the change from 1350 > 1800/2200 without any kind of rating and said change it becomes longer and more and more tedious to cap each week.

This is the same argument Blizzard used for capping VP the way they did. Not everyone agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: going back on precedents you have set is going to hit Blizzard where it hurts. I'm honestly expecting sub losses rivaling Cataclysm this quarterly report.
    Except you are looking at it wrong. Everyone that plays regularly will still cap as they have always done, all the extended cap it for it to allow others to catch up easier, rather then always being behind the gear curve.

If you don't play for a few weeks, and have 0/21000 conquest to grind out, then yes, it could be a bit daunting, but no one says you have to grind it all at once, that is the players choice.

Blizzard gives us the choice with how much we want to play and now the open to be able to catch up... Fuck them right ?

Filling a 3700 point cap is a nightmare. Takes 5-6 hours. Still remember the days where you'd get points after 10 games. I miss.

Alright, say you ONLY do RBGs, and your Arena cap is still the default 1800. That's like 10 Arena wins and 5 RBG wins. How is that very hard?

Hell, you could do 5 Arena wins one day, then the other 5 the next. Then, for the next 5 days, win one RBG, and you'll have your cap each week.

If you try to get it all in one day, then yes, you might burn out. Otherwise, you should be fine. It's really not that hard to cap. Space it out.
    Last edited by Syh; 2013-01-29 at 12:50 AM.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about the catch up mechanism to come, but I'll guess most of you don't have an increased point cap or at least nowhere near 3k+.

I'm not talking about the catch up mechanism to come, but I'll guess most of you don't have an increased point cap or at least nowhere near 3k+.
    Nobody who likes PVP complains about having a high cap.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Reith;20019764]Nobody who likes PVP complains about having a high cap.[/QUOTE
    Well obviously you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    Alright, say you ONLY do RBGs, and your Arena cap is still the default 1800. That's like 10 Arena wins and 5 RBG wins. How is that very hard?

Hell, you could do 5 Arena wins one day, then the other 5 the next. Then, for the next 5 days, win one RBG, and you'll have your cap each week.

If you try to get it all in one day, then yes, you might burn out. Otherwise, you should be fine. It's really not that hard to cap. Space it out.
    Wait what? My cap is 3,6k+.

play as much as you want, i dont understand why people complain. if you complain that you want to be competitive and cap points, then you have to choose.

haven't heard about this catchup system? would be nice seeing i missed 1 week of capping and now it cost me a itemupgrade!

still even if you have 3K rating. and you need to arena allot to cap it. you have 3K rating! your getting dubble the points ppl without 1600+ rating get.
    thus you have the points to buy and upgrade a ton.

if you dislike your rating because of the grinds ill happely take it off your shoulders. seeing i like to pvp but wish i could get malevolent gear quicker!
    and no. atm with 4 pieces of malev gear and a pvp weapon i'm struggling to beat 1500 rating because we keep getting put up against T2 geared ppl that made a new 2vs2 team...
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Wait what? My cap is 3,6k+.
    Yeah, I know. I'm saying if you got the 3600+ solely from RBGs with no arena (so your Arena cap would be 1800) then you'd need to do 10 arenas and 5 RBGs which isn't really all that hard, it becomes easier if you just do some Arena (even holding onto a 1800 2s team makes it easier).

Personally my Arena cap is like 2600 and RBGs is 3750, so I only have to do 3 RBGs each week (as long as I do Arena cap first). That's why I don't really see it as a hassle since I do Arena anyway, and I just wait for a group that I know is good to do the RBGs so I don't have to waste too much time. :S That's why I'm saying, I really don't get why people are saying it's hard to cap.
    Last edited by Syh; 2013-01-29 at 04:55 AM.

Forcing highly ranked players to play more games was probably intended. This system prevents players from coasting on their success at the beginning of the season. The new system gives 'late start' players a chance to topple highly ranked players.

Plus, Blizzard likes to reward dedication.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-01-29 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Assuming you already have your full set of gear, did it feel like punishment when you had gear to shoot for...or did it feel like punishment after you were fully geared? Could just be that you don't have anything 'exciting' to spend your points on. If there's nothing left that you need or want, won't you still be able to keep your cap at around 3602 for the next week, even if you don't max it out this week. If that's the case just play as many games as you want.
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, people complaining they need to put effort into their gear... You realize that grinding is a big part of pretty much every single mmorpg right?
    It makes me wonder if people only PvP for the gear, or because they actually enjoy it.