Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Looking for sci-fi/fantasy recommendations

I'm needing to find more books to read as I've run out again and none of my followed series seem to have books imminently forthcoming.

Series I've read recently and liked

- Mercy Thompson
    - Kitty Norville
    - Dresden Files
    - Temeraire
    - Wearing the Cape
    - Honor Harrington

Tried starting on the Garret PI series, but after the 1st book part of the second, I just found I couldn't really get into it.

Suggestions should be available as ebooks, either from the google play market or Amazon or somewhere that provides DRM-free epubs or has a decent android app.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wheel Of Time Series. first book is Eye of the World.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson.
    Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Seven Erikson/Ian Esslemont.
    Game of Throne series by George RR Martin.
    Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

All series I have read several times and greatly enjoyed.

Well, your list is trending to Urban Fantasy, so here are some recommendations along those lines:

Spider's Web series by Jennifer Estep
    October Daye series by Seanan Mcguire
    Cast series by Michelle Sagara
    Retrievers/PSI series by Laura Anne Gilman
    Hollows series by Kim Harrison
    Last edited by RohanV; 2013-01-28 at 09:56 PM.

Sci fi book
    Dune saga, Frank Herbert. You probably know the name, the first rts came from it, dune 2 was called, from westwood company, the same that make c&c.

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

Quote Originally Posted by Velorian View Post
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    I just couldn't get into the first wheel of time book.

The Alex Verus novels are a Dresden-like (and even reference him in the first chapter) except Alex is a Diviner and not a battle-mage. All three (so far) are out for Kindle. The author is Benedict Jacka. Not quite as good as the Dresden Files stuff, but certainly better than a lot of the stuff out there.

Ben Aaronovitch is doing an urban fantasy series named after the main character, Peter Grant. I've not read it but a number of friends who have seem to have enjoyed it.
    I think he has three books out for it as well.

You could also try the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey, which was entertaining enough for me to get a couple of them, if not the height of the Genre.

If you want to move away from Urban Fantasy, you could read the Codex Alera stuff by Jim Butcher, the First Law trilogy by Abercrombie, or the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K Morgan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend Dune. I enjoyed it and read every sequel. It is a classic.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 09:51 PM ----------

Or read Ender's Game and all of its sequels. I loved them all!

Monster-Blood-Tattoo

READ IT.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I'm needing to find more books to read as I've run out again and none of my followed series seem to have books imminently forthcoming.

Series I've read recently and liked

- Mercy Thompson
    - Kitty Norville
    - Dresden Files
    - Temeraire
    - Wearing the Cape
    - Honor Harrington

Tried starting on the Garret PI series, but after the 1st book part of the second, I just found I couldn't really get into it.

Suggestions should be available as ebooks, either from the google play market or Amazon or somewhere that provides DRM-free epubs or has a decent android app.
    Fantasy,

i really really enjoyed the Demon Cycle [2/5 books so far - 3rd book released in feb] - peter v brett - probably my favorite book series to date. i also read a book recently that was actually quite good considering she wrote the 4 books id most want to wipe off the face of the planet as she destroyed one one of my favorite genres by turning them into delicate snowflaks, the host by stephanie mayer was good i generally stay away from sci fi as fantasy is my thing.

Well, lets go with some sci-fi condensation...

You said you read Honor Harrington and liked it. Weber's other big project right now is the Safehold series. Go check it out. It's sort of a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court sort of story.

If you want space battles and cool shit like that check out the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell.

For Good space opera Peter Hamilton is good. I would say start with the Nights Dawn Trilogy, then Commonwealth books. The void trilogy is sort of a sequel to the Commonwealth books, but honestly I didn't care for them.

Hard Sci-Fi. Alistair Reynolds, Greg Benford, Stephen Baxter, Poul Anderson, and Ben Bova (ugh not my kind of thing is Ben's work, but people love it).

Big Dumb Object. Larry Niven's Ringworld and it's sequels are worth checking out. Also Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and it's sequels. Both start off good but some of the latter books get kind of "meh."

That should get you started. Hope this helps

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 05:59 PM ----------

Oh and I forgot...Jack McDevitt I found to be exciting. The Academy and Alex Benedict series were really good. Benedict more so than the Academy. It's sort of like Indiana Jones with space ships.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Based on what you liked, I think you should try these:
    Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. The first book is Magic Bites.
    Elfhome series by Wen Spencer. The first book is Tinker.
    Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. The first book is Mutineer.
    The Twelve Houses series by Sharon Shinn. The first book is Mystic and Rider.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

And although they are a little different from what you have said you liked, I think you should try some of these:
    A Trial of Blood and Steel series by Joel Shepherd. First book is Sasha.
    The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. The first book is The Lies of Locke Lamora.
    The Final Encyclopedia by Gordon R. Dickson. Part of his Childe Cycle series, it is not the first book but that shouldn't be a problem.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Frank Herbert is my favorite author, so I'm going to recommend a few of his books. His themes usually revolve around ideas of philosophy, religion, psychology, politics and ecology. Incredible character development as well:

The original Dune series (not the crap that his kid has rolled out in the past 10 years). Start with "Dune", and progress from there.
    The White Plague
    Destination: Void
    The Jesus Incident (sequel to Destination: Void)
    Man of Two Worlds

15+ Year Old Account
    Well ofcourse Wheel of Time as mentioned, but I have recently started reading the Mistborn series and it is really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Frank Herbert is my favorite author, so I'm going to recommend a few of his books. His themes usually revolve around ideas of philosophy, religion, psychology, politics and ecology. Incredible character development as well:

The original Dune series (not the crap that his kid has rolled out in the past 10 years). Start with "Dune", and progress from there.
    The White Plague
    Destination: Void
    The Jesus Incident (sequel to Destination: Void)
    Man of Two Worlds
    Chris Herbert's stuff isn't TOO bad. It's certainly not on the level of Frank's work, but I've found the few I've read to be mostly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Chris Herbert's stuff isn't TOO bad. It's certainly not on the level of Frank's work, but I've found the few I've read to be mostly enjoyable.
    Brian Herbert you mean?
    I personally hated them, but it's probably because I expected Brian's storytelling to have as much depth as his father's storytelling. Maybe my expectations were set too high? I dunno. I'm sure I'll go back and re-read them one of these days. I should probably do it with as few expectations as possible.
    I can't say I hated them all, actually - the books about the Butlerian Jihad were a good read.
    Last edited by fooliuscaesar13; 2013-01-31 at 07:03 PM. Reason: grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Brian Herbert you mean?
    I personally hated them, but it's probably because I expected Brian's storytelling to have as much depth as his father's storytelling. Maybe my expectations were set too high? I dunno. I'm sure I'll go back and re-read them one of these days. I should probably do it with as few expectations as possible.
    I can't say I hated them all, actually - the books about the Butlerian Jihad were a good read.
    LOL yeah apparently I had Christopher Tolkien and the mind for some reason.. How embarrassing.

Yeah, they certainly aren't great. Very much Genre fiction, but they can be an entertaining read. The butlerian jihad series is primarily what I am talking about.

WOOL by Hugh Howey. You don't know what you're missing.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Wheel of Time as other have already mentioned. The Sword of Truth series is great, first book of that is Wizard's First Rule. Also, look into the Way of Kings by Robert Jordan. Only the first one is out so far, but the second one comes out Fall 2013 I believe.