Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Im officially broke

The purpose of this thread is to share the pains at the bookstore and give advice to fellow gamers in higher edumacation. So last week I believe I bought the most expensive textbook in the bookstore, a whooping $340 for a useless chem book. I nearly cried but wait there more my book total came to be $1240.22, all science and math books with lab crap stuff. Im so broke its not funny. I despise of students whose parents pay for everything. Lucky for me I dont have to pay full tuition, so take that rich kids! Sorry I kid myself. But still anysites out there that have cheap books or pdf files? Anyone else have a total similar to mine?

PDFs of copyrighted books are protected under copyright laws. Often times one can buy books secondhand from other students at a significant discount.

Also, in the future don't actually buy a book until its need actually arises in that class.

Usually reading lists are put up in advance, try and buy the books you need for next year second hand right after exams as most people just want to unload them, and resell the ones you no longer need close to the starting period of the next year/semester. Pretty sustainable.

And one wondor's why education isn't a right but a previlige. Damn sad to hear you haft to pay that much just for books, I mean for just 1k dollars you could build a stabel gaming rig that could last 3-4 years np :s

//So glad to live inn country where education is mostly free (Well taxes). One thing I will never understand about USA is the good old College trough, I keep hearing its not good enough for what one pays (Witch from what I know is quit a huge ammount), but it also feels mandatory to have a college degress inn order to get a job.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Why don't you just xero a book from your friend or go to library, get book, xero it. Like seriously in Europe you just do that you don't have to buy shit.

There should be lots of notices around schools of people selling their old books. Often time this year's edition only has a few modifications compared to last years. Also, If you have a roomie or a friend share a book and just cover half the costs.

I still have my books from 12 years ago. Wonder if they still use the same book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I mean for just 1k dollars you could build a stabel gaming rig that could last 3-4 years np :s
    I loled . (at the part of "Why spend so much money on books, better buy gaming PC")
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

You're mad because some kids responsible parents plan and save for their ed?

Only buy the "required" books. Some courses will require you to buy a new textbook just because it comes with a code to use for the online assignments or whatever. Other than that, don't bother buying books. Buy them used from other students if you want to or just download PDF and print out the chapters you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    If I have to buy a textbook I buy it on amazon usually they are cheaper that and since you are a student you can qualify for the free year of Amazon Prime which gives you free 2 day shipping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    no, he's mad that he has to pay so much for books
    the word for what he feels towards rich kids is actually BITTER, as i, too, am a bit bitter that other kid's parents had the forethought to put money towards their kid's future (but at no point have i ever been mad at them, their parents, or my parents)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    We don't get to pick our parents but when you see the rich kids getting everything handed to them it does tend to get old.

The education system is such a scam, does it really cost that much to make a book? Why are they allowed to make such profits on something that is vital? Id love to see some gov regulation in our education system, but that wont happen since they just give it back to democrat party. Circular money flow and everyone gets rich except the student.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The education system is such a scam, does it really cost that much to make a book? Why are they allowed to make such profits on something that is vital? Id love to see some gov regulation in our education system, but that wont happen since they just give it back to democrat party. Circular money flow and everyone gets rich except the student.
    Why students don't xero the books then. Do you have xero police in USA or what?

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The education system is such a scam, does it really cost that much to make a book? Why are they allowed to make such profits on something that is vital?
    Well then why are oil and electric companies allowed to make such profits on something that is vital?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    I loled . (at the part of "Why spend so much money on books, better buy gaming PC")
    We'll Im a gaming nerd Can't help it, haha - But yea I see what you mean! Books>PC if you actually have the option off getting an education or whatever
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Well then why are oil and electric companies allowed to make such profits on something that is vital?
    Umm, oil is only allowed 3% profit, they are regulated. Electric companys are pretty much gov subcontractors. Area's are regulated like school districts. You have no choice on who your electric provider is.

Never buy new books.

Always double and tripple check if you can buy them 2nd hand from older students.

Facebook is always a good site to check for this. Many universities have facebook pages dedicated to 2nd hand book sales. Also, nobody cares if you make yourself a .pdf out of a textbook. Even teachers know that 300€ for one book is ridiculous.

Op why don't for next semester buy a scanner for like I don't know 50$ and scan all the books you need from friends/library. It will take a bit of time but you will save tons of money and you can even share it with some close friends...

To ill silk with you OP. spent $500 on books this semester and I got to of them off eBay super cheap.