Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Unhappy Your words don't make sense

    I've noticed a trend when people whisper me calling me bad and fail or flaming over my gear, whatever
    It's always the people who can't properly type, and why is that?

    I've never seen anyone whispering me about my gear like "Your gear is not so good, and it's affecting your performance" (example)
    Instead it's something like "loOl ur fhail GTFo u scr0b fuck" and that doesn't make any sense.

    I had one person whisper me today about me using Dual Wield instead of 2-handers in a BG, and his grammar was bad, and all in caps.


    I mean how hard is it to just type properly? I'm Finnish and I can do it fine. Sure, there are spelling errors here and there but it's nothing
    compared to flaming douchebags in the game and you can actually understand what I'm typing.


    Cheers ~ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I think MMO-C should be renamed "HJTC-C" - Hyperbolic Jumping To Conclusions Champion.

  2. #2
    Herald of the Titans Hanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida!
    Posts
    2,972
    You don't need to properly spoken in order to trash talk. It'd just be that much more amusing to me if it were to happen. I'd snap back with "At least I can carry on a written conversation knowing I've passed second grade."

    In short, don't let it bother you.

  3. #3
    That's why it's called trash talking. The people talking are trash.

  4. #4
    Because the whole point of language is communication and thus understanding said communication. You say these people typing to you make no sense, yet you clearly understand what they are saying regardless if it doesn't hold up to your grammar police standards! So if you understand what they are saying then the point of communication is complete.. and this shit is really pointless!

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk solvexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    I've noticed a trend when people whisper me calling me bad and fail or flaming over my gear, whatever
    It's always the people who can't properly type, and why is that?

    I've never seen anyone whispering me about my gear like "Your gear is not so good, and it's affecting your performance" (example)
    Instead it's something like "loOl ur fhail GTFo u scr0b fuck" and that doesn't make any sense.

    I had one person whisper me today about me using Dual Wield instead of 2-handers in a BG, and his grammar was bad, and all in caps.


    I mean how hard is it to just type properly? I'm Finnish and I can do it fine. Sure, there are spelling errors here and there but it's nothing
    compared to flaming douchebags in the game and you can actually understand what I'm typing.


    Cheers ~ Me
    That would be the best if people called me out eloquently.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,870
    Indeed, but not totally ^^


    One thing is to keep a proper grammar, there I agree. Other thing is to properly type... I write a lot of "thigns, teh, waht, jsut" I hate it, but it happens because I write way too fast. It's curious because I've started doing so just 1 year ago and it's quite hard to correct it as it comes on it's own as I can't really type any slower.



    Then about people crying out... just ignore those idiots.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's why it's called trash talking. The people talking are trash.
    QFT

    You don't need to properly spoken in order to trash talk
    Was that intended?

    Yeah, you just have to deal with the fact that the dumbest people around are the most vocal ones, unfortunately.

  8. #8
    I like how you use an example with words spelled that way purposefully, really nothing to do with grammar and more to do with kids thinking l33t speak is new.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's why it's called trash talking. The people talking are trash.
    Never heard that one before >,< Nailed it!
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  10. #10
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    I've noticed a trend when people whisper me calling me bad and fail or flaming over my gear, whatever
    It's always the people who can't properly type, and why is that?

    I've never seen anyone whispering me about my gear like "Your gear is not so good, and it's affecting your performance" (example)
    Instead it's something like "loOl ur fhail GTFo u scr0b fuck" and that doesn't make any sense.

    I had one person whisper me today about me using Dual Wield instead of 2-handers in a BG, and his grammar was bad, and all in caps.


    I mean how hard is it to just type properly? I'm Finnish and I can do it fine. Sure, there are spelling errors here and there but it's nothing
    compared to flaming douchebags in the game and you can actually understand what I'm typing.


    Cheers ~ Me
    They are most likely just as capable as using proper grammar as any of us, except they are just trolling you and choose to act like a retard.

    Some advice for people who find themselves the recipient of L2P statements that I'd heavily advise using is to always be as cordial, apologetic, and sincere as possible, as if their complaints about your playstyle/gear/etc. we're completely legitimate. Example:

    Random: L2P u nubtard, maybie go bak 2 helo kittie iland adventur wher u were aktualy gewd"
    Me: "I know I'm not a great healer, you're right. Holy is my off-spec, and I'm pretty new to the game as well. Usually I play with some more experienced friends so that my inexperience doesn't impact the group too much, but none of them were on and I am just trying to grind out my Honor set. The loss was my fault, and I am sorry for negatively impacting your battleground experience. Hopefully I won't drag you down again in the future. Best of luck to you.

    Works every time. Trust me sometimes these people frequently are mad at you, and this kind of reply immediately neuters any and all negative feelings they had towards you and your future offspring. It also works in the professional world as well if you have an overbearing boss or something like that.

    It's very hard for people like this to agree with you about sucking, mostly because they are looking for an argument. Believe it or not, after a response like that, most of these people will actually try to argue that you weren't the sole reason for why you just lost that BG, they actually crave argument THAT MUCH.

    In summary, take credit for as many failures/screw-ups/losses as is physically possible. People naturally will find it impossible to argue with you if you are trying to agree with them by taking responsibility for all the blame (and then some) they attempt to place on you.

  11. #11
    i like calling people out with a long an detailed explanation as to why exactly they fail. i'm a big fan of pointing out that the obvious hand eye coordination issues that prevent them from playing the game effectively might actually be a sign of something more serious. you should see a doctor!

    yes, i'm kind of a jerk.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire S Blieft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SoPoCo
    Posts
    475
    If it comes up again that you get a tell from someone "talking trash" about you or your gear
    just try responding with some nonsense...

    I had just got my tier legs, didn't have a leg kit on them b/c none in the AH and the guild
    LW wasn't online. Literally had these pants 5 minutes when I got a tell from some "kind"
    fellow letting me know I was shit for not having a leg kit on them...

    My reply was simple; "The weather's been weird lately, lots of fog but that's a good sign for spring."
    He didn't reply back to that and I was able to go on about my day without dealing much more with him.


    -"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
    -"Damn, have you ever had a foot so itchy you thought it might drive you mad?"
    -"The electric yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

    ^^All equally good nonsense responses^^
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire CoolHwip46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kil'Jaeden
    Posts
    384
    ever consider the fact that its not only 18+ year olds playing wow? (i always have to remind myself because i really only play with other adults 20+.) to me, it feels like more and more younger kids are playing wow. personally, i have a friend whose 8 year old son plays. so who knows, if the person trying to talk shit to you is an adult, the jokes on them - but if you dont know them, dont assume theyre acting retarded because theyre immature, they may just be a 10 year old or something lol.

    and btw, i dont punctuate/capitalize because i dont want to, not because im a kid or something. i do make it a point though to make sure i spell correctly as the words you mentioned that people misspell annoy the shit out of me too.
    Why are you putting so much emphasis on the H?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Ulchi/simple

  14. #14
    When people talk shit they generally want to piss you off as quick as possible so they use bad language. Usually best to just ignore them. Nothing wrong with a good ol' "You mad bro?" if you want to piss them off.

    People without gear are supposed to suck so anyone calling you bad for being undergeared is ridiculous, however they decide to say it. The best one I've had was someone telling me to get better gear scrub, and im like thats what im in this fucking bg for...

    I often give "advice" for geared people who are sucking in bgs, however 90% of the time apparently they think im talking trash because they usually reply with a "wTf r U stupidz??" Generally I would look at someones rating or achievements to tell if you should take their advice or even talk to them. Having the top dmg frost dk with a pocket healer facerolling people thinking hes hot shit call you out when hes never been over 1500 is always good for a laugh.

  15. #15
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by thisnamesucks View Post
    Having the top dmg frost dk with a pocket healer facerolling people thinking hes hot shit call you out when hes never been over 1500 is always good for a laugh.
    But.. But.. I'm that Death Knight :/

    And didn't you hear? Top damage is all that matters bro! How you like dat cleave damage?!?!?1?
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  16. #16
    Idiots only bother me, when I choose to associate with them. It's for this reason, WoW is pretty much a single player game to me. I rarely interact with anyone else in the game because I refuse to associate with people of lesser intelligence.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  18. #18
    When all my friends/guildies left and I realized I didn't really care to speak to anyone, I stripped my UI down to a single mod to hide my chat. I'm lucky in other aspects of life, not so much in my gaming abilities. Good luck trying to insult me about being bad at video games (The entire notion is laughable to begin with), better luck trying to do it when I can't see my chat.

  19. #19
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Jengan View Post
    Because the whole point of language is communication and thus understanding said communication. You say these people typing to you make no sense, yet you clearly understand what they are saying regardless if it doesn't hold up to your grammar police standards! So if you understand what they are saying then the point of communication is complete.. and this shit is really pointless!
    This is true to a point, but not entirely; If it takes extra effort to decode what they've said, they are attacking your time and thus it's rude/selfish.

    In general though, if it's understandable without undue effort or ambiguity, communication has succeeded - and rules are irrelevant.

    "Me and Bob are going to the shop" may be wrong, but I've yet to meet someone who doesn't know exactly what me mean by it.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,243
    I really can't imagine an intelligent being giving such incomprehensible feedback, so right click -> report for language, because there isn't yet a feature to report for idiocy.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

    Battletag - Whitey#2918 - feel free to add me, I'm a social animal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •