Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    A smartphone doesn't change the way you live unless you rely on it far more than you should. It is also not a practically necessary part of current society much like any of the other revolutionizing inventions mentioned. Those inventions are considered revolutionary because they literally help form the world we live in today. Smart phones let people play angry birds and allow the person on the other end of the phone see the funny faces you make at them. They are not required for society to go on, and would not significantly change the world if they were to suddenly disappear. Try saying the same for cars, planes, electricity, the internet, etc.

    They do have uses, and have been a result of innovation. But the same could be said of Sporks, Jeans made out of Sweatpants, and non-stick ketchup bottles... it doesn't make any of those other things required by society any more or less than smart phones though.
    I don't think you know what smartphones can and are being used for right now.

  2. #82
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't think you know what smartphones can and are being used for right now.
    Seriously? Remove smartphones from earth right now, nothing will happen.

    Remove all cars and we all die.

    Clear enough now?

  3. #83
    nano-technology
    nuclear fusion power plants
    computer-neural interfaces
    artificial intelligence

    as for when.... no clue

  4. #84
    The Lightbringer Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,004
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It's your brain that makes you human. Or would you say that a guy without arms is human, but with an arm prosthesis he becomes suddenly less of a human?
    Well technically he would be less human in terms of biomass :P

    Anyways,I think the next big thing will be quantum computing.

    As for teleportation, they already teleported a photon in Japan a couple years back - it doesn't take much imagination to realize the practical uses for that (namely teleporting large amounts of energy to any location such as across the world or into a space station).

    For quantum locking I don't see it being used for everyday cars but perhaps for transporting large amounts of industrial material with no fuel costs or possibly public transit, things that are on fixed tracks. Would cost way too much to magnetize all the roads and use expensive superconductors for cars imo.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Seriously? Remove smartphones from earth right now, nothing will happen.

    Remove all cars and we all die.

    Clear enough now?
    Utterly not true. At all.

  6. #86
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Utterly not true. At all.
    Absolutely true. Completely.

  7. #87
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    We would still have trains and aerial vehicles. Also bikes and legs.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    We would still have trains and aerial vehicles. Also bikes and legs.
    You don't understand. EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!!1! But nothing is going to happen if all smartphones are suddenly gone from society. Yet StayTuned lists GPS as one of huge life-changing inventions.

  9. #89
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    Carbon Nanotube Neural Scaffolding. This scaffolding will allow you to encase a Neural implant in a protein cover allowing it to directly interface with the brain. It will serve as a bridge between fully functional artificial implants and the brain. This will allow for allowing for tactile feedback on artificial eyes and limbs to become a reality. It can also be used to serve as a neural interface so upload a VR interface directly into the brain, bypassing the need for cumbersome headsets that only provide a visual input.

    http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=24447.php

    They have already been fabricated, and tests have shown that brain tissue has very little problems with linking directly with the implants. I expect a real breakthrough in the next 10-15 years and a revolution in neural implants and VR interfaces within the next 30 that will change every industry from entertainment to R&D on advanced technologies.
    Is it bad i want this tech to be used in real world giant robots....

    Also I'd say once people stop buying this impossible BS and realize that NOTHING is impossible. also get over their paranoia about things like what i quoted and genetic engineering.

  10. #90
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You don't understand. EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!!1! But nothing is going to happen if all smartphones are suddenly gone from society. Yet StayTuned lists GPS as one of huge life-changing inventions.
    Our whole transportation system would fail, nobody could go anywhere anymore. Our train, bus and plane system would be completely overburdened. It would require massive changes in our society to make it work without cars.

    My dad would immediately lose his company if he would lose his car because he couldn't attend any of his meetings for example.

    Throw your smartphone away and a regular mobile phone will do the job just fine.


    And yeah, I don't see an issue with me listing GPS but not smartphones. GPS is used for so much more than just Google maps, you know? In fact, a smartphone is only a tiny part of where GPS is used.

  11. #91
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Utterly not true. At all.

    Hyerboble and extreme maybe but e IS right that removing cars would do FAR more harm then removing smart phones.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Is it bad i want this tech to be used in real world giant robots....

    Also I'd say once people stop buying this impossible BS and realize that NOTHING is impossible. also get over their paranoia about things like what i quoted and genetic engineering.
    I believe Japan is funding an initiative to make Gundam-style robots as part of their defense plans.

  13. #93
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Our whole transportation system would fail, nobody could go anywhere anymore. Our train, bus and plane system would be completely overburdened. It would require massive changes in our society to make it work without cars.

    My dad would immediately lose his company if he would lose his car because he couldn't attend any of his meetings for example.

    Throw your smartphone away and a regular mobile phone will do the job just fine.
    BUT BUT HOW WILL THEY CHECK THEIR EMAIL ON THE GO OR OR WATCH YOUTUBE WHILE ON THE TRAIN!!!!! It would be the end of the world man the end of the world.

    But seriously this pretty much.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Our whole transportation system would fail, nobody could go anywhere anymore. Our train, bus and plane system would be completely overburdened. It would require massive changes in our society to make it work without cars.

    My dad would immediately lose his company if he would lose his car because he couldn't attend any of his meetings for example.

    Throw your smartphone away and a regular mobile phone will do the job just fine.


    And yeah, I don't see an issue with me listing GPS but not smartphones. GPS is used for so much more than just Google maps, you know? In fact, a smartphone is only a tiny part of where GPS is used.
    Funny that you don't see life-changing effects of losing your smartphones but you do with losing GPS, because you use one more than the other. Protip: Not everyone is like you.

    Another protip: I attend work meetings on my smartphone. I discuss planning and creation of corporate infrastructure using my smartphone. I answer calls, receive files, and deal with issues that arise regardless of where I am, with my smartphone. My life would drastically change without it.

    Ironically, I live within biking distance (and do often ride my bike) to work as well as numerous farms and farmers markets. Although losing my car would be an imposition on me, it would be less of one than losing my smartphone.

  15. #95
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Funny that you don't see life-changing effects of losing your smartphones but you do with losing GPS, because you use one more than the other. Protip: Not everyone is like you.

    Another protip: I attend work meetings on my smartphone. I discuss planning and creation of corporate infrastructure using my smartphone. I answer calls, receive files, and deal with issues that arise regardless of where I am, with my smartphone. My life would drastically change without it.

    Ironically, I live within biking distance (and do often ride my bike) to work as well as numerous farms and farmers markets. Although losing my car would be an imposition on me, it would be less of one than losing my smartphone.
    Oh, really? So you are telling me that you can't answer emails on your laptop on the go, or answer your calls on a regular phone? How do you attend those meetings? Via Skype? Use a laptop or tablet. By voice chat? Use a regular mobile phone.

    Regarding GPS... I don't even use it at all. At least not actively. However, losing GPS would also mean the loss of navigational system for boats and planes, for example. GPS also has applications in climate research. Please tell me more how Smartphones are used to determine the climate and navigate boats.

    A bike can only carry you so far until you get exhausted. Oh, what's that? You have to be in a specific place in a few hours some 400km away and you also have to bring 100kg of equipment with you? GG riding that on your bike.

    Protip: Not everyone is like you. Oh wait...
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-01-29 at 05:48 AM.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Oh, really? So you are telling me that you can't answer emails on your laptop on the go, or answer your calls on a regular phone? How do you attend those meetings? Via Skype? Use a laptop or tablet. By voice chat? Use a regular mobile phone.
    Actually it is a video conference using specialized software. I'm not going to carry a laptop or tablet with me everywhere I go.
    Regarding GPS... I don't even use it at all. At least not actively. However, losing GPS would also mean the loss of navigational system for boats and planes, for example. GPS also has applications in climate research. Please tell me more how Smartphones are used to determine the climate and navigate boats.
    Your argument that apparently boats and planes just crashed into mountains before GPS is funny, but wrong.
    A bike can only carry you so far until you get exhausted. Oh, what's that? You have to be in a specific place in a few hours some 400km away and you also have to bring 100kg of equipment with you? GG riding that on your bike
    I guess I'd get a horse and a carriage. Or use a train. Or an airplane.

  17. #97
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Actually it is a video conference using specialized software. I'm not going to carry a laptop or tablet with me everywhere I go.
    Your argument that apparently boats and planes just crashed into mountains before GPS is funny, but wrong.

    I guess I'd get a horse and a carriage. Or use a train. Or an airplane.
    You are just confirming what I am saying. You can't freaking carry 100kg of equipment with you on an airplane, or a train. Maybe it would work on a horse and a carriage, but lol... here we go, back to the stone age.

    Just because you want to hold your conferences on your smartphone instead of a tablet (which would work just fine) doesn't make the smartphone ground breaking.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    You are just confirming what I am saying. You can't freaking carry 100kg of equipment with you on an airplane, or a train. Maybe it would work on a horse and a carriage, but lol... here we go, back to the stone age.

    Just because you want to hold your conferences on your smartphone instead of a tablet (which would work just fine) doesn't make the smartphone ground breaking.
    Just because you don't use current technology the way others do doesn't make it not a life changing invention.

  19. #99
    I am Murloc! StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Just because you don't use current technology the way others do doesn't make it not a life changing invention.
    Just because it is a life changing invention for you doesn't mean that society as a whole could not live without it and suffer basically zero forfeitures losses.

    Edit: I feel like walking in circles. Lets call it a tie and move back to the topic?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-01-29 at 06:03 AM.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Just because it is a life changing invention for you doesn't mean that society as a whole could not live without it and suffer basically zero forfeitures.
    I don't think the word forfeiture means what you think it means, at least in this context. More on topic, using a mobile device to use GPS, Internet, and a ton of other things, is really a life changing invention for a lot of people. I find it much more important than say, Television, which I don't use.

    I would love to hear the argument that Television is more important than a smartphone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •