Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

When is the next revolutionizing invention coming?

I'm talking about something that will make our life fundamentally different.

Inventions of the same category as printing press, cars, trains, planes, lightbulbs, internet, television, GPS...

If I think back in the last 10 years we haven't seen anything really new. Everything just got smaller and faster, some things became hybrids like phone-cameras. However, both were nothing new; phones and cameras both existed before...

I think we've reached a point in which we cannot really invent something completely new which has never been seen before. All we can do now is to work on what we have and refine it to the point that it somehow becomes revolutionizing (Like, hardcore fast 1TB/s internet for example).

I think the next big thing is the self driving car and the 3D printer... but again that's nothing 100% new.

Have we already reached our limits? Your thoughts?

if we keep finding wars to fight my money is on some major breakthroughs in prosthetics and biotech
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    if we keep finding wars to fight my money is on some major breakthroughs in prosthetics and biotech
    Or space exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    I don't know. I think while it is going to help those who are disabled, both prosthetics and biotech aren't going to fundamentally change everyone's lives.

As long as I have both legs, how can I profit from a hyper modern leg prosthesis?

I am talking about FTL travel, teleportation, alien-like force shields which can withstand severe attacks.... things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Or space exploration.
    would be nice, but im kind of doubting it right now

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I don't know. I think while it is going to help those who are disabled, both prosthetics and biotech aren't going to fundamentally change everyone's lives.

As long as I have both legs, how can I profit from a hyper modern leg prosthesis?

I am talking about FTL travel, teleportation, alien-like force shields which can withstand severe attacks.... things like that.
    because better prosthetics and better human/tech interface go hand in hand. and if there is a breakthrough in making the nervous system interact directly with a computer interface or powering a prosthetic by biological function the sky is the limit. scary as hell, but enormous potential
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Flux Pinning or Quantum Locking

Yeah, it could honestly make for some awesome super fast mass transit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nanobots to fix shit in your body!

Deleted
    Going to go with something within biological engineering or robotics but I doubt whatever it is will be commercially available for quite a long time.

Something that uses this:

Nanotechnology or genetic manipulation of an existing organism which would be kinda like the new form of plastic surgery but its able to be passed on to your children meaning we shape our own "evolution".

That or sex robots.

Deleted
    The smartphone might not be something new, but it certainly is something for us people growing up in the 00s to be proud of technologically. Don't you remember as a kid when you watched a cartoon about the future and there was always some kind of wristband or something portable that had absoutely every tool? Yeah, I think it's fun we at least got that part over with.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    That or sex robots.

Are tablets not new? Do you really consider smart phones not new just because phones were invented?

What do you specifically want? Why would we try to build teleporting or force shields lol? That isn't practical in every day life. (Not that we're close to teleporting, but it wouldn't be available to the public anywhere soon.)

Carbon Nanotube Neural Scaffolding. This scaffolding will allow you to encase a Neural implant in a protein cover allowing it to directly interface with the brain. It will serve as a bridge between fully functional artificial implants and the brain. This will allow for allowing for tactile feedback on artificial eyes and limbs to become a reality. It can also be used to serve as a neural interface so upload a VR interface directly into the brain, bypassing the need for cumbersome headsets that only provide a visual input.

http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=24447.php

They have already been fabricated, and tests have shown that brain tissue has very little problems with linking directly with the implants. I expect a real breakthrough in the next 10-15 years and a revolution in neural implants and VR interfaces within the next 30 that will change every industry from entertainment to R&D on advanced technologies.
    Last edited by lizon; 2013-01-29 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no clue what the next big thing could be to be honest.

Have we reached our limits? Hell no, there is always room for improvement on just about anything.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smartphone is pretty revolutionary in a lot of ways.

Deleted
    If we knew the answer I doubt we would post it here, we'd be knocking on Bill Gates' door asking for an investment :P

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Inventions of the same category as printing press, cars, trains, planes, lightbulbs, internet, television, GPS...

If I think back in the last 10 years we haven't seen anything really new. Everything just got smaller and faster, some things became hybrids like phone-cameras. However, both were nothing new; phones and cameras both existed before...

I think we've reached a point in which we cannot really invent something completely new which has never been seen before. All we can do now is to work on what we have and refine it to the point that it somehow becomes revolutionizing (Like, hardcore fast 1TB/s internet for example).

I think the next big thing is the self driving car and the 3D printer... but again that's nothing 100% new.

Most things were built on something else, revolutionary or otherwise, and then up-sized or downsized to be integrated with existing technology.

We had pictures before we had film. We had bicycles before we had cars. We had the hobby horse before we had bicycles. We had phones before smartphones. We had cartographers and sextants before GPS.

I think you are mistaken on what 'revolutionary' is in the context you are using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Or space exploration.
    Won't really change the ways we live our lives, at least not anywhere in the foreseeable future. It's fun to hear about those things, but it won't change our lives any yet.

10+ Year Old Account

Adam Jensen style prosthetics are MUCH closer to reality than FTL, teleportation (above the quantum level) and force fields. Prosthetics can really benefit society. Imagine being a pianist and having elongated fingers that never tire and can hit keys at faster beats for much longer, revolutionizing music. Imagine being a soldier with powerful arms and legs who can sprint faster, have superhuman reflexes, and isn't affected as much by recoil or weapon weight.
    Putin khuliyo

printing press - 1440
    cars - 1672
    trains - 1550
    planes - 1903
    lightbulbs - 1879
    internet - 1973
    television - 1925
    GPS - 1993

After googling I found these as approximate dates of invention for these things. Now, what makes you think 10 years between huge inventions is anywhere near realistic? I think the real question is, what hasn't been fulfilled in your life that you think something new needs to fix it? Go out there and fix it.