Page 1 of 2
LastLast

College - Am I screwed because I failed a few classes?

It was my first semester and it just wasn't the right time for me to go. I was going through a lot of stuff that I didn't anticipate when I registered for college and I ended up failing all 3 of the classes I was in which led to me being academically dismissed. I don't know if it would have helped if I just withdrew instead of failing, to be honest I didn't really consider it because then I would have had to pay my student loans back which I can't afford since I'm unemployed and the burden would fall on my family.
    But anyways, since I was academically dismissed my college sent a letter saying I have to sit out for a full semester and then petition them for readmission. It's a community college, so what are the chances of me getting back in?
    Also I want to pursue a career in the medical field and I know nursing programs are hard to get into which is what I want to do, so how will having 3 failed classes effect that if I shape up from here on out?
    I realize I made a mistake by letting myself slip so far behind in classes that I failed and I want to own up to it and start fresh. Anyone have any ideas what my options are?

The community college will let you back in, 100% sure.

Retake the classes and your failing grades will be replaced with your new grades.

Your transcript will look like you never screwed up.

Ehhhhhh medical field is hard to get into....if you're trying to be a doctor. If you get your act together, your college will probably readmit you since it's just a community college. A nursing program? Good luck with that lol. Maybe if you get some hands on experience and try to do some volunteer/internship following a nurse in a hospital it'll look good enough to help you get in. (And I'm not talking an hour here and there, I'm talking a real commitment.)

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would highly recommend that you talk to your advisor as they can give you the best explanation since no one here knows the rules at your college. I was suspended before and talked to my advisor and he suggested that I took some non credit courses to show that i was interested in but, I do not know how your college does things.

Quote Originally Posted by xtiiina View Post
    It was my first semester and it just wasn't the right time for me to go. I was going through a lot of stuff that I didn't anticipate when I registered for college and I ended up failing all 3 of the classes I was in which led to me being academically dismissed. I don't know if it would have helped if I just withdrew instead of failing, to be honest I didn't really consider it because then I would have had to pay my student loans back which I can't afford since I'm unemployed and the burden would fall on my family.
    But anyways, since I was academically dismissed my college sent a letter saying I have to sit out for a full semester and then petition them for readmission. It's a community college, so what are the chances of me getting back in?
    Also I want to pursue a career in the medical field and I know nursing programs are hard to get into which is what I want to do, so how will having 3 failed classes effect that if I shape up from here on out?
    I realize I made a mistake by letting myself slip so far behind in classes that I failed and I want to own up to it and start fresh. Anyone have any ideas what my options are?
    Take the classes again, ace them or do the best you can. But do NOT fail or do poorly again. You've eaten your safety net. Your letter of readmission needs to show you've matured and you need to talk to a counselor at your school. It's harder to dismiss you if they see you're willing and trying to get face time to fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post

Retake the classes and your failing grades will be replaced with your new grades.

I'm fairly sure this is correct. Community colleges aren't exactly known for rigorous standards of admission, and they're really not supposed to be.

Honestly, join the military, go into the medical field of it, get certified in a lot of the stuff the military will pay for, get college credits that way and do online classes for free, you get experience, education, a job and benefits.

And if you had that much personal stuff really effect you and it was just school, how do you plan on being a stressful sched of medical and be able to maintain a healthy job/life, if school was problems for you for some personal issues...

It's a community college, yeah, they'll definitely let you back in.

This. Community colleges are by no means exclusive systems, they want to get you in classes. Drop into your counseling office and get some advice from them, half the time you'll get a decent enough person who is happy enough to help you outline your next couple semesters.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have to sit out for a full semester and then petition them for readmission.
    That is your option if you want to go back.

Alternately you could petition for a hardship release if the issues you had were real enough to warrant it. My daughter was diagnosed with cancer while I was studying and the university had a few options available to me if I struggled with my classes to help assist me with a passing grade under difficult circumstances.

Generally here if you withdraw before 25% of the class is complete you get a full refund as well. If you withdraw before 75% you don't get a refund but also don't get a fail mark on your academic record. In retrospect it would have been better to withdraw but then I am not 100% sure about the American academic system.

Your best bet would be to contact the college and explain the problems you had if they warrant it. I don't mean to sound rude but if you are failing first year courses and not under extreme pressure from outside influences then a different career choice might be more suited. If you were under pressure/difficult circumstances then all you can do is pick yourself up and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by velspine View Post
    Honestly, join the military, go into the medical field of it, get certified in a lot of the stuff the military will pay for, get college credits that way and do online classes for free, you get experience, education, a job and benefits.

And if you had that much personal stuff really effect you and it was just school, how do you plan on being a stressful sched of medical and be able to maintain a healthy job/life, if school was problems for you for some personal issues...
    I don't think I'm eligible to join the military because I have BiPolar disorder

If kid who are 18 years old and probably on their own for the fist time in their lives could ruin their lives with a few bad life decisions the world would be FULL of failures.

Don't sweat it. Get your shit together and you will be fine.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

You might want to figure out why you failed 3 classes and fix that first before you move forward. I taught for a community college for 15+ years, they will take you, even with being dismissed.
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

I am in and people lie... but yeah if you told them about it, especially with how cut backs are going, that would most likely end up being the scenario.

And I am not sure how old you are, but maybe getting a job somewhere, taking smaller amounts of classes and weening your way into school would be a better decision than just jumping in and getting all huff and puffed over it, it might take longer to get a degree but if something big happens you are always able to maintain a stable life because you aren't stressing out with the amount of classes.

Most likely it will. The transcript will probably have the original grade (but won't factor it into the cumulative GPA; GPA for that semester won't be affected) and a repeat status flag saying you retook the class in a later semester.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

It depends on where you go but when I was in school, the grades werent replaced. Basically the transcript would always show you failed the class and your GPA would reflect failing credits.

Basically you should talk to a counselor about what your options are and dont fail any more classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    Most likely it will. The transcript will probably have the original grade (but won't factor it into the cumulative GPA; GPA for that semester won't be affected) and a repeat status flag saying you retook the class in a later semester.
    Why wouldn't GPA for that semester be added?

Community colleges will 100% accept you back. Community college standards are significantly lower than 4 year colleges. If you think you're in danger of failing a course again, withdraw. That safety net is there for a reason. Better to repay some money than have permanent failing grades on your academic record. If possible, try to find a different college that offers a nursing program or an entry program that allows easy transition to a 4 year college upon completing the program for the medical field.

There are worse things than being academically dismissed so don't panic. If you're scared of paying back loans, look into financial aid in terms of grants like FAFSA.

Don't waste your second chance. Get your act together and if you're serious, then reapply to get back in. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

If you're in the US and you are/were on financial aid, you need to be aware that the financial aid rules changed majorly, no matter what kind of school you're at, where you only get *1* chance at that institution to fix things. In most cases now, you have to commit to a specific academic plan, are not permitted to deviate from it, nor can you withdraw from any courses or receive anything lower than a C after that point - at that institution. Otherwise, you will lose your aid permanently at that college (but can apply to another one and have it reset for that institution). While not all colleges and universities have gone quite as specific, the funding model changed at the federal level, which has led the institutions to create stricter standards of progression.

Grades are generally only replaced if you retake the course once; after that, the two most recent grades will count on your transcript.

It's best to come back with a plan and a reasonable set of expectations. For instance, you will want to avoid a full load of course when coming back to ensure that you have adequate time to focus on the ones you are retaking. You also have to come up with a plan whereby you have some idea of what you will do if something else arises to hinder you. While you cannot plan for every contingency, most of the time a lack of resources and planning create the bigger issue; that, and not being willing to do what is necessary for you at that time, rather than getting too caught up in the what if's of it all.

For the record, I teach at a community college. I deal with students who hit these kinds of issues all the time. You're not doomed; it's just that you've wasted your ability to easily get back on track in the future if something else goes wrong in the future (many of our students come to us because they had too much fun at a standard 4 year university; they've screwed up and have to come here to get back on track first before the other institution will let them back in).

In many cases, it can be a better choice to shift institutions, especially with the field you are interested in. Bluntly put - any medical program aside from a basic medical assistant is going to have gateways to pass through and a limited number of slots available for a large number of students. In many cases, I have recommended that my students skip community college and go straight to the 4 year - it's actually easier to get into those nursing programs because they have more spaces available.

But it comes down to balancing things and being reasonable/realistic in your assessment of what you can do versus what you want to do. Getting back on track by trying to take a full load of classes, for instance, is often a bad choice, especially for students for whom time management is an issue. Don't set artificial goals and timelines at this point - you have to be realistic in your assessment of what you can do to start, and then add more to it later.

They really wont know this unless you tell them or its obvious when you go to MEPS.