Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How long would it take for USA to be popular/not hated anymore

Lets just say hypothetically USA stopped all the perceived negative political and military policies that so much of the world now condemns us for. How long would it take for USA to be regain favorable opinions from the many European nations that now so loathe us? Could you ever love a USA again? Or is something that will only change in a generation when the young ones did not live through it and only see the "perfect" USA. Much like how Germany/Japan has been forgiven for there past transgressions (it did not happen overnight).

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably nothing, people will always find a reason to hate us.
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

As an American, for us to be accepted by those who look down upon us, we'd have to become an America I want no part of, to be quite honest. I'd rather be hated than sell out my beliefs for political allies.

Probably 50 years or something.

The sad thing is a lot of the 'haters' hate us for helping them. Many of the vocal anti-US countries receive tons in aid from us (in the form of money and goods). Maybe if we stopped helped everyone else and started helping ourselves we'd lose some of the stigma.

The USA isn't as hated as some makes it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    As an American, for us to be accepted by those who look down upon us, we'd have to become an America I want no part of, to be quite honest. I'd rather be hated than sell out my beliefs for political allies.

Pretty much agree with ya.

Personally i think that many euros are plain jealous of america because they are no longer relevant on the global scene.

except the UK.....they still rock

Deleted
    I'm British and I love the US, hell I'd like to live there some day...just not it's people when looking at a global perspective. Too patriotic and arrogant with too much influence in modern society of smaller, less developed countries AKA Westernization. I don't hate america, it's probably the most important nation of the modern era but it's just patriotism is leaking out in droves and blinds many of it's less "intellectually competent" people to the truth. WW2 is the perfect example, average or dumb americans believe they single-handedly won the war or were the most important nation which couldn't be further from the truth.

It's good to be proud of your heritage but to bash others and claim themselves as superior although this is more of an internet thing tbh.

Also the fact that they suck at video games compared to EU and the east
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2013-01-29 at 03:19 AM.

Deleted
    Personally I don't have, and never have had and issue with the USA or Americans as a group. Just some of the time your countrymen go and say or do dumb shit which reflects badly on all of you. This can be said by all countries so nothing strange there.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will be hated by the world and our "friends" as long as we are the top military power. Even if we were less aggressive like I wished they would still find reasons to dislike us. We're under the microscope and our good qualities are ignored in favor of our bad ones. That doesnt stop me from liking other nations. In fact, I like the Anglosphere and France just as much as my own nation.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152735/am...al-allies.aspx
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Personally I don't have, and never have had and issue with the USA or Americans as a group. Just some of the time your countrymen go and say or do dumb shit which reflects badly on all of you. This can be said by all countries so nothing strange there.
    I'd agree siggma...every country has their loons.

In countries that we've hurt, I doubt we'll be forgiven in my lifetime.

In Europe, people that hate us don't hate us because of policies, they do so almost entirely for emotional reasons. Thankfully, this isn't near as common as it's made out to be in some areas.

(Please note, I'm referring to "hate". I have no problem with Europeans objecting to American policies, but that's a far cry from "hate".)

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Pretty much agree with ya.

Personally i think that many euros are plain jealous of america because they are no longer relevant on the global scene.

except the UK.....they still rock
    Europe is leagues ahead of North America on the global scene:

better gas mileage efficiency
    green house gas emission reductions are far better in Europe than in N.A.
    better economies
    more peaceful nations
    most countries have better health care
    most countries have more social freedom
    lesser dependency on foreign oil

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    This sounds about right. I think we might produce more than our fair share of stupid, but I've never really felt like I was treated poorly by folks from other countries (as an American). That might be because I don't generally walk around talking shit and disrespecting folks in whatever country I'm in.

Get your economy in shape, get your culture (music,movies) to where it was in 70s/80s and people will love you. Because as of now you have non of it.

Not sure about Germany but Japan has not been forgiven; at least not in the minds of the Chinese. The Japanese brutally killed, raped, and pillaged the Chinese when the two were at war and to this day, there's still tension with the obvious heated dispute over what the Japanese call the Senkaku Islands or what the Chinese call the Diaoyu Islands.

The day America is no longer hated is when democracy is eradicated.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    better gas mileage efficiency
    This is pretty small beans in terms of things people complain about.

green house gas emission reductions are far better in Europe than in N.A.
    No, Europe's output is lower, but the US has actually cut theirs by more over the last ~10 years.
    better economies
    Plainly false, the United States has a much higher per capita GDP than the EU.
    more peaceful nations
    This requires a very short run view to believe.

most countries have better health care
    Better health care, not so much. Better universal access to health care, absolutely. We should learn from Europe here.

most countries have more social freedom
    Many European countries have blasphemy laws. A woman in Ireland died from an abortion they refused to perform on the basis that they're a "Catholic country". Some European nations do better than the US on social freedom, some don't.

lesser dependency on foreign oil
    I'm ignorant on this point and too lazy to look it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take this forum as your basis on how the world views the US. A good portion of this forum dislikes it. I know tons of people not from here who absolutely love the country. And being from here, i honestly could care less what others think. We shouldn't be trying to impress them nor care that much about how they view us. No matter what we do the haters spin it negatively.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Why do you care?

I think its just easier for some people (with reinforcement from their respective medias) to direct their hatred toward the US than it is to point fingers at their own government or their neighboring countries for their own problems. Think about how many time you see stupid shit posted on these forums about the US with zero first hand knowledge of the country. If hating us helps the EU to get along and sleep better at night then I say go for it. Hate away.