10+ Year Old Account

Question New GPU, Temperature Query.

Hello MMO-Championeers,

I have recently purchased an EVGA Nvidia GTX 660Ti 2GB and I have been testing it with some games. I am aware that most GPU's are alright until about 80°C and over that could cause problems, I have read that this card in question can only get to 97°C before causing damage so I wonder, under load (by load I mean playing GW2 on max settings) I am sitting at 72°C - 75°C, while totally idle my card sits at 47°C - 49°C. Is this alright or should I invest in a better fan for my pc case?

I am probably being too cautious but it's not often I get enough money to upgrade my pc so I'd rather not damage it. Thank you for your time, friends.
    Last edited by Hezron; 2013-01-29 at 03:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those seem like normal levels. I start to look into things when it goes above 80

That does seem a bit higher, depending on your ambient temperatures. Are you perhaps running multiple monitors? When I run a 2nd monitor, my idle goes up to 44 from the normal 33. Plus I always go with some of the best cooling solutions, so it's generally a bit lower than that. Overclocked, my Gigabyte 7950 runs at 50c maximum because I tend to run a higher fan speed curve to keep it cool since I cannot hear it at all through my headphones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I am currently using a second monitor, I use it for browsing the net and stuff while gaming. I would have a higher fan speed on curve but I don't have headphones and this card can get a bit loud due to it being a 'blow' fan rather then the alternative.

47 to 49c is absurdly high for idle. You should be closer to 30ish. Make sure your card is downclocking at idle and that you have proper airflow. 75c may be ok now but during the summer you'll be well above 80.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    47 to 49c is absurdly high for idle. You should be closer to 30ish. Make sure your card is downclocking at idle and that you have proper airflow.
    I am tentative about this too, may I inquire as to how I would set it to downclock at idle?

EDIT: I just checked in EVGA Precision X and my card is downclocked at idle slightly, it's at 914Mhz from 1084Mhz when under load.

Tomshardware recently reviewed these cards (Seven GeForce GTX 660 Ti cards)

You'll have to google the review tho - I cant post the link - post count is too low :/

Not sure if your card manufacturer was covered in that review (or not), but the temps you are getting (72-75 degrees under load) is perfectly fine even tho its a little higher than the temp charts in the review (average of 70 degrees under load).

Fun fact: the card specification (on the nivida website) claims that its rated to 105 degrees (crazy, right?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArPharazon View Post
    Tomshardware recently reviewed these cards (Seven GeForce GTX 660 Ti cards)

You'll have to google the review tho - I cant post the link - post count is too low :/

Not sure if your card manufacturer was covered in that review (or not), but the temps you are getting (72-75 degrees under load) is perfectly fine even tho its a little higher than the temp charts in the review (average of 70 degrees under load).

Fun fact: the card specification (on the nivida website) claims that its rated to 105 degrees (crazy, right?)
    Thanks, I assume you mean this? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...sing,3283.html

I just read it and my model isn't there, I should have specified earlier so I'll update the OP but I have the EVGA model.

those temps are far higher than what is normal for a gtx 660ti http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/n...pler-family/16

try removing the second monitor to test if the temps drop at all

Yep thats the review.

I found another review by AnandTech, and your model is covered there. (The GeForce GTX 660 Ti Review) [damn post counts...]

Anyhoo - the good news is that your card temp is bang on target while under load (75 degrees according to their review) but as Glo says above, your idle temp needs investigating for sure - they measured it at 32 degrees (yours is 47, so deffo too high)

did you check the temperature when the gpu is under high load? as long as the fan regulation is working everything is fine, use something like furmark and watch the temperature and fan speed

Yep thats the review.

I found another review by AnandTech, and your model is covered there. (The GeForce GTX 660 Ti Review) [damn post counts...]

Anyhoo - the good news is that your card temp is bang on target while under load (75 degrees according to their review) but as Glo says above, your idle temp needs investigating for sure - they measured it at 32 degrees (yours is 47, so deffo too high)
    those tests are done on a single monitor set up its not uncommon when adding a second monitor for the temps to rise between 15 and 20 degrees also the 75 degrees that the card gets to is on metro 2033 a game that is far mor gpu heavy than gw2

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep thats the review.

Quote Originally Posted by prankstar View Post
    those temps are far higher than what is normal for a gtx 660ti http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/n...pler-family/16

try removing the second monitor to test if the temps drop at all
    I removed my second moniter and the temp has dropped right down to 33°C, I didn't expect a second monitor to be so impacting on the temperature. (I'm still a bit of a nub sadly)

10+ Year Old Account
    the highest temp ive seen my 680 at is 52c so even though they are alright they do seem high

Second monitors can often prevent cards from downclocking to 50Mhz at idle.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured something out which is pretty obvious so I feel bad for only realizing it now. I usually watch streams on the other screen while gaming and I realized that I had Hardware Acceleration turned on so my card was using ~600Mhz on the video, and as such was causing the temp to rocket.

I feel like such a bad now. Ugh. Thank you all for your help though. (:
    Last edited by Hezron; 2013-01-29 at 04:23 AM.

you can keep the temps low by having the monitor you use for gaming attached to the gpu and by connecting the monitor you use for browsing to your motherboard

80 is definitely high.. Sounds like a case issue.

Quote Originally Posted by basmastersix View Post
    80 is definitely high.. Sounds like a case issue.
    the issue has been found and is nothing to do with the case