Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Which, really, is absolutely mindboggling. How the fuck do people that stupid get elected to public offices? I suppose because they're representative of their electorate.
    Political apathy, I suppose.

Which, really, is absolutely mindboggling. How the fuck do people that stupid get elected to public offices? I suppose because they're representative of their electorate.
    Which is why Bachmann got reelected.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    What if that guy and this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8gFXt5MFY8) got together?
    = the best argument against gay adoption

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    he said something about genetically modified animals? is this what gmo is? if so... what the fuck is so bad about that?
    A GMO is a Genetically Modified Organism. It can be a plant or animal.

Someone needs to teach people with this belief the history of marriage. Up until the rise of the middle class in the 17th century, marriage was mostly only for the upper classes as a method of doing business.

Its also pretty stupid to compare two totally different issues. "People dont like terrorism. I dont think its a good idea to raise taxes at this time."

This was pretty much the point I wanted to make.
    Maybe it's time for elections not to be about shinies, but actually about important stuff. People like this get elected because they shout strong things while people are feeling strongly about something; usually, the people are looking for someone to blame, and the populist hands them that person. It's really, really bad politics. As much as we all love democracy, you simply cannot run a country democratically by listening to the voters. It's ironic, but it's true: You have to make voters listen to YOU, and think critically about it. Doing things the other way around will only lead to disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Did he just outright say he's a racist? How the hell is this guy allowed to hold office?
    Yep, he came right out and said that black people ruined Minneapolis. Or at least that mixing black people and white people did. Seriously, that absolutely enrages me. What an awful human being.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Political apathy, I suppose.
    I wish I thought that was the answer. My usual plan to assume that damned near everyone is stupid is probably more responsible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    This was pretty much the point I wanted to make.
    Maybe it's time for elections not to be about shinies, but actually about important stuff. People like this get elected because they shout strong things while people are feeling strongly about something; usually, the people are looking for someone to blame, and the populist hands them that person. It's really, really bad politics. As much as we all love democracy, you simply cannot run a country democratically by listening to the voters. It's ironic, but it's true: You have to make voters listen to YOU, and think critically about it. Doing things the other way around will only lead to disaster.
    Hes a state senator. He gets elected because hes in a Republican district and has an "R" next to his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    Which is why Bachmann got reelected.
    Have you seen the 6th district? Outside of St. Cloud, it's...well, I don't think I can really say without being infracted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    = the best argument against gay adoption
    To which I can always link this: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...dration-death/

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Hes a state senator. He gets elected because hes in a Republican district and has an "R" next to his name.
    Okay... And what do other Republicans do to stop that? I mean: You've got party leaders, a council, boards, members, voters and somesuch... Right? There's tons of opportunities not to let this thingy become senator.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could say this is the stupidest thing to come out of a senator's mouth recently . . . but alas this is the United States and our politicians are dumber than a box of rocks.

This doesn't even make the top ten.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    That's all well and good as far as it goes, but I'm sure they could find an intelligent Republican in the district. Please, no snide remarks about the intellect of Republicans as a generality, there's plenty of smart people that affiliate with the party.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's all well and good as far as it goes, but I'm sure they could find an intelligent Republican in the district. Please, no snide remarks about the intellect of Republicans as a generality, there's plenty of smart people that affiliate with the party.
    There are, but they keep being marginalized as RINOs or ignored by the media.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    There are, but they keep being marginalized as RINOs or ignored by the media.
    I just find it bizarre, that no one said, "hey, let's pass on this open racist whose only qualification is preaching".

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wow... can you spell "dodging the question?"
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I just find it bizarre, that no one said, "hey, let's pass on this open racist whose only qualification is preaching".
    ... And, admittedly, not even that. Splendid idea! Here, have another biscuit with your tea. How do you like it? It's the new blend from Chasing the Dragon Opiates.

"Hey you, you support gay marriage but you don't like monsanto gmo soy beans? What's up with that?"

Sent him an email. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but it made me feel better.

To: sen.dan.hall@senate.mn
    Sent: Mon 1/28/13 11:26 PM
    Subject: RE: Marriage Equality in Minnesota

Dear Senator Dan Hall,

In regards to your response to a Ms. Meyer's inquiry on marriage equality in Minnesota, I can only express immense disappointment that you would find "crops" more pertinent than basic human civil liberties. Especially in the wake our our state's historic rejection of an amendment banning homosexual marriage, I find it absolutely perplexing that an official sworn to serve the people could stray so far from those for you you serve. Homosexuals are not some mutants "corrupting" our society. They are our family, our friends; those who have stuck by us through thick and thin. I implore you to imagine a life in their shoes; a life where basic civil liberties are denied due to some inconsequential attribute only because a dwindling minority decided it was to be so.

Our current marriage suppression laws affect me on a very personal level. When my closest friend (and resident of the 56th) admitted to me that he was homosexual, I will admit that I once had the same trepidations that plague many of our lawmakers and justices. However I came to realize the obviousness of the truth: he is a human being, equal in the eyes of the law and our Maker. How could I look him in the eye and deny him a basic civil liberty because of my personal discomfort? It's frivolous; and I am ashamed it took more than a second of thought for me to realize this.

I beseech you to find some time for serious moral introspection. Please do not let partisan politics deter you from doing what is morally and ethically just. I impart upon you the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, hero during one of the darkest ages of our country's history: "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and liveout the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to beself-evident; that all men are created equal." Please dwell on this, Senator. Our country has been through enough bigotry; enough hate. It's time for us to set our differences aside and build the greatest state in our union.

Good day,
    <My name hurr>
    <My city hurr>, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    "Hey you, you support gay marriage but you don't like monsanto gmo soy beans? What's up with that?"
    This pretty much sums it up. Reads even better in Andy Rooney's voice.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Sent him an email. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but it made me feel better.
    Nice work on the E-mail. I know that feeling - I sent what I thought was an eloquently belligerent E-mail to GEICO today regarding my insurance rates. Does it doing anything? Not shit! But it's cathartic.

10+ Year Old Account
    you sure thats an email from the senator himself and not something his secretary wrote? they do have secretaries for that.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.