Radeon 7870 or 660ti

I am looking to upgrading my gpu and am trying to decide which one of these to get. I have always had ati cards so I kind of am leaning towards that. A friend of mine has the 660ti and swears by nvidia. I was just curious what the mmoc community thought about the comparison.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    AMD Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE.

It *is* a different card from the normal 7870 and pretty much is equatable in performance to the 7950, if not better.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=647

They are quite equal but overall the 660ti comes out better. barely

I would recommend sticking with card you are used to.

Also you have to take into consideration if your mobo supports ati or Nvidia cards better.

Edit:

Don't know where you are from but the prices can be a contributing factor. Here the 7870 (245,96 Euro(330,67 USD) is allot cheaper than the 660ti (298,10 Euro(400,77 USD)
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/s...d-7128070.aspx
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/c...4.aspx?q=660ti
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2013-01-29 at 04:59 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you re-paste those links? They are terribly broken.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah sorry posting from a phone is a pain in the ass, hopefully these are better.

ATI
    Nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    Also you have to take into consideration if your mobo supports ati or Nvidia cards better.
    Motherboards do not support any cards better or worse since mid 90's, don't perpetuate that bullshit myth.

Games however vary in how well AMD or Nvidia card works, and your favourite game might be leaning clearly towards one side. All Blizzard games for example work better on Nvidia than AMD cards with fewer mysterious driver problems.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I would take into account as well that the Radeon 7000 series have great capacity for overclocking, compared to NVidias cards which tend to be overclocked out the box (in comparison). Combine that with the cheaper price and I would recommend leaning toward the 7870.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well mate, my advice is to go with Nvidia since the game performs better and as an old Nvidia user i have no problems either with drivers or the game itself, running atm gtx260. If you intend to play other games and you want to save money go to ATI since they perform almost equally and you will save some bucks.

Deleted
    depends what games you play i'd pick a 660Ti if blizzard games is what you mostly play.
    also farcry 3 is/was nvidia win even though it was a ATI powered game which was kinda fun. (unless drivers fixed it)

Deleted
    if you really want AMD, don't get the double D. they run really hot (55+ idle), are loud and they can barely overclock at all. I just returned my 7950 DD the other day and I am going to buy an Asus 660ti DirectCU OC for £20 more.