Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I always felt it's because their "madness" sometime gives them unusual insights hence they are considered genius.

    /shrug

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I always felt it's because their "madness" sometime gives them unusual insights hence they are considered genius.

    /shrug
    Read much about Nikola Tesla?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  3. #43
    When your ideas are frequently stifled by the norms society creates, you start to lash out against those norms. Any hard working person can have knowledge, true geniuses are creative and don't even have a box that they think in.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Are you asking because you're worried you're falling into a descent of madness with your genius? That's the usual conclusion with your threads.
    I swear that pretty much every topic he makes.

  5. #45
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    When your ideas are frequently stifled by the norms society creates, you start to lash out against those norms. Any hard working person can have knowledge, true geniuses are creative and don't even have a box that they think in.
    Here here...I wish more people did this.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Read much about Nikola Tesla?
    Isn't he the poster boy for the "Mad Scientist" archetype?

  7. #47
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If you look back through history at famous poets, artists, mathematicians, writers, and physicists you would realize nearly all of them suffered from mental disorders, yet they accomplished astonishing things.

    Why are these two polar opposites seemingly linked so deeply?
    Selection bias.

  8. #48
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Read much about Nikola Tesla?
    Just reminded me how a friend once asked if i was his clone or reincarnation LOL....You should hear some of the stuff i come up with.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Isn't he the poster boy for the "Mad Scientist" archetype?
    That's the one. There's a theory that he enjoyed a mental 'condition' which allowed him to vividly envision physical mechanics.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  10. #50
    Warchief Knight Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,230
    Ignorance is bliss
    Ignorance is the root of all evils

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    That's the one. There's a theory that he enjoyed a mental 'condition' which allowed him to vividly envision physical mechanics.
    Well, my "hypothesis" is "crazy" people think along slightly different lines of thought, sometimes this lead them to ideas that normal people don't think about.

  12. #52
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    That's the one. There's a theory that he enjoyed a mental 'condition' which allowed him to vividly envision physical mechanics.
    LOL that sounds like fun..And why conditioning couldn't he have just done that innately?

  13. #53
    Brewmaster Caninese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,434
    I think those of use that bear more intellect than the average human being lose sanity when dealing with those that are considered unintelligent.

  14. #54
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,993
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...dered_autistic

    I resent the term 'madness' in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  15. #55
    Anyone who claims to be sane in this insane world is clearly insane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Ignorance is the root of all evils
    I beg to differ... Knowledge is power... power corrupts... study hard... be evil.

  16. #56
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    I think those of use that bear more intellect than the average human being lose sanity when dealing with those that are considered unintelligent.
    Oh gods don't i know it...and then those who THINK they're smart but are really below average are ESPECIALLY annoying...I know someone like that...Oh gods SOOOOOO IRISH WIFE.

  17. #57
    OP:
    I'm very clearly mad.
    Why can't I be a genius, too?

    The two aren't linked. Madness, however, can give some insights that sane people don't get. That is mostly because sane people don't have to look beyond the safe borders, and when you're mad, 'safe borders' aren't actually present.

    So my hypothesis is: Madness and genius aren't linked. Madness is sometimes mistaken for genius. As it was in my case. I was clearly labelled 'genius' by several psychologists and tutors, but in reality, I am of average intelligence. I'm just also insane.

  18. #58
    Bloodsail Admiral Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,062
    You'll never know, geniuses wouldn't touch this forum with a barge pole, in fact they don't even go anywhere near the internet with a barge pole .

  19. #59
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    OP:
    I'm very clearly mad.
    Why can't I be a genius, too?

    The two aren't linked. Madness, however, can give some insights that sane people don't get. That is mostly because sane people don't have to look beyond the safe borders, and when you're mad, 'safe borders' aren't actually present.

    So my hypothesis is: Madness and genius aren't linked. Madness is sometimes mistaken for genius. As it was in my case. I was clearly labelled 'genius' by several psychologists and tutors, but in reality, I am of average intelligence. I'm just also insane.
    My questions are

    A why aren't they linked
    and B why do you say you're mad?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    My questions are

    A why aren't they linked
    and B why do you say you're mad?
    A: Because there's a much easier explanation, which I gave in that post.
    B: Personal reasons, but I could give you quite a long list that starts somewhere with 'depression' and ends somewhere with 'psychotic displacement episodes.'
    Being insane doesn't cause me to suddenly lose all capabilities of coherent writing.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-01-29 at 04:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •