Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Genius is a kind of madness.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-01-29 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I don't think there is any madness linked with genius. Just the average stupid person not understanding what a genius really is and automatically assuming it's madness.

I would say that, without basing my opinion in any facts whatsoever, they don't cancel each other out. That's about all there is to it in my opinion. Anyone, even geniuses, could have some tragic event happen to them and loosen a screw or two. Or just be a bit twisted in the first place.

Some mental disorders may also amplify cognitive capabilities but that usually has side effects else where.

Btw, what's "neurotypical"? Sounds like someone made it up to feel a little more special about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    ...Being insane doesn't cause me to suddenly lose all capabilities of coherent writing.
    True but most people who are insane are oblivious to it. By admitting that you are insane you come off as attention whoring... not saying that's the case... just the cause of the skepticism.

Because genius not linked to madness doesn't make for as interesting of a story. You can be in MENSA and still allot of people won't say more than 'neat' unless your also 'weird', 'crazy', a 'loner' or something similar. Mind you that's not including how much various 'entertainment' and 'news' media like to play up the stereotype. Smart guys who aren't 'crazy' aren't front page news while certain parts of the entertainment industry seems to think smart-'wacky'=boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    True but most people who are insane are oblivious to it. By admitting that you are insane you come off as attention whoring... not saying that's the case... just the cause of the skepticism.
    Not the intention. I merely wanted to admit my own case as an argument against the whole 'genius' thing.
    I must admit that my focus on self-awareness does grant me the ability to live a relatively normal life. It's a feat, but by no means an indication of 'genius.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Madness and Genius are separated only by degrees of success.

I beg to differ... Knowledge is power... power corrupts... study hard... be evil.
    It doesn't mean knowledge can only be used to do evil. On the contrary, you can only fight evil with knowledge, for without it, you're at their mercy.

Modern society values attitude and confidence. But surprisingly, these are bad qualities for success and achievement.

To truly be great, to accomplish truly exceptional things, it requires having an open mind, doubt, and neuroticism. Most of the greatest people in their chosen profession share those qualities.

At the top of the game, you play by different rules.

To some it can look like they are crazy. But you must think different to be at the top.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-01-29 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    It doesn't mean knowledge can only be used to do evil. On the contrary, you can only fight evil with knowledge, for without it, you're at their mercy.
    This is slightly off topic but... one could argue you fight evil with faith and belief... rational thought be damned!

Back on topic... I like bunnies.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    the line between madness and genius is small. Not only does true genius typically come with some other mental baggage, imagine you lived in a world of retards, where everyone went so slow and couldn't figure things out and couldn't see what you can. I'm more shocked when genius people are sane.
    Damn that was a fine job hitting the nail on the head.

Not to sound arrogant, but when I'm around a number of folks who are obviously not as intelligent/smart as me, perhaps in a certain field, it can be infuriating.

Take for instance when I took the Intro to Computers class one year ago... hell half the time the professor was pissing me off with his archaic views on computer technology, plus teaching style, and having to sit there through all the extremely basic questions people were asking that really didn't need 10 minute explanations.

So yes, the more you know, the more easily you can go mad.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    the line between madness and genius is small. Not only does true genius typically come with some other mental baggage, imagine you lived in a world of retards, where everyone went so slow and couldn't figure things out and couldn't see what you can. I'm more shocked when genius people are sane.
    i feel like this a lot. Doesnt mean im a genius tho haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Because they both result from lefthandedness.
    Wait, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    i feel like this a lot. Doesnt mean im a genius tho haha
    That's how I feel when I'm driving near my university. "I live in a world of retards where nobody understands right of way at 4 way stops."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If you look back through history at famous poets, artists, mathematicians, writers, and physicists you would realize nearly all of them suffered from mental disorders, yet they accomplished astonishing things.

Why are these two polar opposites seemingly linked so deeply?
    There's just as many healthy intellectuals and insane idiots as there are the opposite :P

But I can give you a quote from myself, as someone who takes medication for my madness: The more I know, the less I understand.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-01-29 at 11:06 PM.

Most people bop through life living in the moment just looking to have fun. a few people truly enjoy learning and thinking. If your passion is in the latter, well, you ARE an oddball compared to the human race in general. some people may call them insane simply for having passions not aligned with the masses. Geniuses are highly likely to be found in the latter group.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Knowledge is Power !
    Knowledge is useful too. Having studied Thermodynamics, I was able to use my knowledge to open a jar of pickles that my parents couldn't open at all, and my dad is stronger than I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I am pretty smart. I have a passion for learning. But it means that in order to get along with people i dont DARE ever act naturally. People get wierded out by my passions. The problem is it means i have to fake being interested in a lot of stuff to get along, and its tiring.

One big problem i have is i personally find confidence and attitude to be unattractive. I think i developed that way because, from my view, its usually the complete idiots living that way and it often leads to some disaster that i may have to clean up. I love humility and doubt, those traits make people seem human. But i have to fake it to get along with people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Because dealing with the rest of society when you are a genius must be even more infuriating than when you are merely slightly above average.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Exactly, the pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake is something that many people find odd, which I am perplexed by.

Learning is the most amazing thing one can do, and I cannot fathom why someone would not want to know more.

Scientia Potentia Est

(If Google Translate is correct...)

Knowledge is Power !
    I may be wrong, but I think it's Scientia Potestas Est. Although my latin classes were many years ago.