Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.

    Isolation makes us crazy.

  2. #102
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.

    Isolation makes us crazy.
    Again whether smart or not i DEFINITELY know that feeling.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    The amount of hubris in this topic is disturbing.
    Personally, I don't buy the "dealing with 'average' society makes them crazy" hypothesis. If you are so smart, dealing with stupid people shouldn't be a problem - barring the presence of other mental disorders.

    There are geniuses who are perfect sane and well adjusted members of society.

    However there seem to be an unusually high number of weird people (and outright nutters) amount geniuses though - especially in the mathematical community it appears.

    http://youtu.be/pnCrUroeVlI

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Personally, I don't buy the "dealing with 'average' society makes them crazy" hypothesis. If you are so smart, dealing with stupid people shouldn't be a problem - barring the presence of other mental disorders.

    There are geniuses who are perfect sane and well adjusted members of society.

    However there seem to be an unusually high number of weird people (and outright nutters) amount geniuses though - especially in the mathematical community it appears.

    http://youtu.be/pnCrUroeVlI
    Yea I was having a bad day and that post was sort of a joke. I certainly get frustrated when people can't 'grasp' things that I find easy, however I would guess that most of the extreme cases of IQ deviation are not because their brains are just better, but different parts of their brain have different levels of activity than most 'normal' people, which would cause them to relate and understand differently, and make a lot of them seem weird.

    I'm also of the opinion that everyone is completely odd, some just hide it better than others.

    Edit -> I recall reading a stat that a high majority of serial murderers have extremely high IQ's, but that just might be because it is required to avoid being figured out and tracked down by the police after one or two...

  5. #105
    What I really find depressing is all of these kids I run into who have college degrees, and they are about as anti-intellectual as they come. They have absolutely no interest in discussing any highbrow topic. They talk about getting drunk, tattoos, partying, and nothing else. They are constant screwups and don't care.

    There's this one 28 year old woman with a degree I have to interact with regularly. Tattoos all over, she dates convicts, she is like "eeewww" when discussing anything intellectual. She doesn't do her job well, either. She goofs off constantly. But, she has a degree. I have nothing, nothing in common with this woman.

  6. #106
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    What I really find depressing is all of these kids I run into who have college degrees, and they are about as anti-intellectual as they come. They have absolutely no interest in discussing any highbrow topic. They talk about getting drunk, tattoos, partying, and nothing else. They are constant screwups and don't care.

    There's this one 28 year old woman with a degree I have to interact with regularly. Tattoos all over, she dates convicts, she is like "eeewww" when discussing anything intellectual. She doesn't do her job well, either. She goofs off constantly. But, she has a degree. I have nothing, nothing in common with this woman.
    While people like me don't enjoy drinking or partying/clubbing, would rather discuss various topics ranging from science, politics and the human race and where it's going to media i enjoy as well as postulating all manner of things.

    Yet i lack a degree and may never get one....Really is an interesting point....Could it be college has become so "mainstrem" that it is now at least in some areas actually against intelligence...For lack of a better term..Hmmm fascinating idea you've given me...

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.
    Isolation makes us crazy.
    You don't know you're above average until you're in a situation where you've got to fight like a man, stay isolated and you don't know where you are. There are brainy people out there shopping in the pound shops putting on a facade like the rest of us.

  8. #108
    Warchief Tzalix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,116
    When you know you are right, and everyone else is wrong, but everyone else thinks they're right and they think that you are wrong and there is no way to convince them otherwise...

    Would make me go nuts if I had to live with that constantly, for sure.

    But I actually have it on paper that I am mentally sane, so HA!
    The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it... You can only face it. The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    When you know you are right, and everyone else is wrong, but everyone else thinks they're right and they think that you are wrong and there is no way to convince them otherwise...
    I'm no psychologist but that must be a basis for insanity. Like when you are trained for a new job you are taught all the right procedures for doing things but when you actually start you find everyone does things their own way anyway and they tell you you're doing it wrong even though you know you're right. Then you start doing things their way, the wrong way in order to fit in and you dumb yourself down.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If you look back through history at famous poets, artists, mathematicians, writers, and physicists you would realize nearly all of them suffered from mental disorders, yet they accomplished astonishing things.

    Why are these two polar opposites seemingly linked so deeply?
    They arent, there is no "genius" there is simply 'dedication" and "obsession"
    The only thing that separates a jersey shore idiot from a genius is his/her interests and the time they spend doing something.

    All brains are pretty much alike, they are shaped by the persons life however.
    Mental disorder people usually have very little to relate with other people and as such they tend to be a bit more secluded, which makes their hobbies/interests/passions turn into learning and understanding, turning them into great scientists many times.

    And then you have the closest thing to a real "genius" which are people suffering from some sort of autism, which basically rewires their brain from a multi tasking computer to a very focused one, making them meh at almost anything but exceptionally good at a certain area, beyond levels of what even obsessed people can go.

    Quoting our favorite "genius"

    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
    Albert Einstein


    Everyone has the same potential, interests vary, some people simply dont give a crap about looking intelligent or spending time with things that dont interest them, many of them are quite good, even geniuses at the things they do however, if they do it with passion and obsession.
    Most people however are uninterested in most things, they have no real passion, no real interest, so they dont reach their potentials.

    This is however, going to be contradicted by a lot of people, usually people who consider themselves very intelligent and use it as a badge of honour, so they refuse to acknowledge that even jersey shore cast could be as intelligent as them if they cared about it as much as he/she does.

    All a matter of interests, all a matter of caring, all a matter of obsession *shrugs*

  11. #111
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post

    This is however, going to be contradicted by a lot of people, usually people who consider themselves very intelligent and use it as a badge of honour, so they refuse to acknowledge that even jersey shore cast could be as intelligent as them if they cared about it as much as he/she does.
    Dunning-Kruger effect right there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.[1]
    Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. David Dunning and Justin Kruger conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  12. #112
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.

    Isolation makes us crazy.
    Im not alone. I have my trusty leprechaun Sparky. He sometimes tell me to burn things. I mostly don't listen to him.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 08:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Dunning-Kruger effect right there.
    But how do i knows if i haz the smarts then!?

  13. #113
    The Patient Mehbooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    311
    I feel alone even when I am with other humans. Genius?? nah, just a thick weirdo being a burden on society!
    Funny Bunny

  14. #114
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Dunning-Kruger effect right there.
    Yeah pretty much why i realize i'm a bit of an idiot in areas outside of my personal interests and even in em. I'm just surrounded by easily impressed individuals it seems LOL.

  15. #115
    Because both are misunderstood
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  16. #116
    The Patient Mehbooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    311
    Dunno if I am bad or just mad? :/
    Funny Bunny

  17. #117
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah pretty much why i realize i'm a bit of an idiot in areas outside of my personal interests and even in em. I'm just surrounded by easily impressed individuals it seems LOL.
    *insert joke about alaska*

  18. #118
    It is believe that Newton, Einstein, Mozart and many other big names in science and art had aspergers syndrome, hence their specialization in certain, but narrow, fields of expertise.

  19. #119
    Yes... the more you know and understand the more you doubt and less assured you are of yourself... the more you listen to other ideas and sometimes out tracked...

    Only a fool can be a zealot, as they have a certainty that is not possible without ignorance.

  20. #120
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Yes... the more you know and understand the more you doubt and less assured you are of yourself... the more you listen to other ideas and sometimes out tracked...

    Only a fool can be a zealot, as they have a certainty that is not possible without ignorance.
    And this is the reason i doubt my being an idiot LOL. Circular logic at it's finest.


    Oh and crack jokes about alaska we DO have a fair number of idiots....But at least we respect rights and individual libert better than most places.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •