Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    You don't even have to be a genius to run into this issue. Even being only somewhat above average intelligence will result in variety of social issues as you have trouble fitting in and communicating with others.

  2. #122
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    982
    "For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." I think it holds true to some degree and could be a contribution to madness.

    At the same time, some of your brightest minds were autistic, high intelligence can often be associated with savant syndrome.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...dered_autistic
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

    "They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

  3. #123
    Because if your IQ is higher you're more likely to have some kind of social disorder.
    Prey on the weak and you will survive, prey on the strong and you will live.

  4. #124
    There is a lot of nasty truth out there. Some concepts don't really weigh on you unless you truly understand them - for example, you might read a figure describing the size of the known universe, but most people won't get close to actually grasping the meaning of such a large space. Someone who did, a genius, would be struck by the reality of our insignificance in a way that others wouldn't. That's just an example, but it applies to just about everything. Understanding can haunt a person.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    Because if your IQ is higher you're more likely to have some kind of social disorder.
    its the reverse, because you have a social disorder you refuge yourself in non social activities which in turn will train your brain towards a specific type of work which will make you better than anyone else at it.

    In the end, EVERYTHING in life is about only one thing, repetition and training.
    The edge in "iq" is not biological, it is due to training and years of learning/thinking.

    There are some biological components but they are minor, they are what will make a gold medal winner and a silver medal winner, they are enough to give you an edge but not enough to make an actual difference.
    Aside from the autism spectrum, which again, it is a rewiring of the brain which focuses almost all its resources into a specific area, neglecting all others.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    its the reverse, because you have a social disorder you refuge yourself in non social activities which in turn will train your brain towards a specific type of work which will make you better than anyone else at it.

    In the end, EVERYTHING in life is about only one thing, repetition and training.
    The edge in "iq" is not biological, it is due to training and years of learning/thinking.

    There are some biological components but they are minor, they are what will make a gold medal winner and a silver medal winner, they are enough to give you an edge but not enough to make an actual difference.
    Aside from the autism spectrum, which again, it is a rewiring of the brain which focuses almost all its resources into a specific area, neglecting all others.
    o.0

    Do you seriously believe what you're saying? Do you seriously believe that I put more effort into classes that I slept the entirety through and got A's on every test than someone who went home and studied every night and got a C?

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    o.0

    Do you seriously believe what you're saying? Do you seriously believe that I put more effort into classes that I slept the entirety through and got A's on every test than someone who went home and studied every night and got a C?
    I can see that making sense. Think about it this way, you find the material in your class simple enough to just snooze through it because you have a pretty good understanding of it. Where as the people who struggle can't understand it or have trouble understanding it.

    I pulled the same thing in my classes, I played on my phone most of the time waiting for the lecture to end while other people were stressing on the things they couldn't grasp.

    It just means you pick things up far easier than other people and can focus your attention elsewhere.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    o.0

    Do you seriously believe what you're saying? Do you seriously believe that I put more effort into classes that I slept the entirety through and got A's on every test than someone who went home and studied every night and got a C?
    yep.

    I am one of those who sleeps through the class and gets above 90 scores, always was.
    The difference is that we retain the information we clear during class and that is in most cases enough, it is out of interest believe me or curiosity or openness/willingness to learn.
    The "rest", specially those who study all night long either arent interested into the subjects or they try it to hard, trying to force information inside your mind will simply make it reject it and will make you hate the subject, which then makes learning it reaaaally hard.

    Not to mention that people arent all alike and have different learning methods/requirements which sadly it is not only not taught in schools, but schools assume everyone learn the same way, which in turn is the cause for a lot of problems in schools, not "lack of intelligence"
    Those who thrive in the system are simply naturally geared towards learning that way, those who arent are screwed and have to put a lot of effort to learn in a way that isnt optimal to them instead of being given options.

    Even those people who get A's while sleeping in class, like me, have subjects we dislike and even hate, and in those we do have to put effort and many times the grades there are quite inferior to the other ones.
    Can only talk from experience, observation, reading, listening, but i dont believe that any human is inherently "more intelligent" than another in a way that is perceived by most people, outside of "freaks" ofc such as i mentioned spectrums of autism. (Not using that word in derogatory terms btw)

    Your brain develops and adapts to what you do, much like your muscles, if you have an uprising full of stimulus towards learning you will have such preferences and such preferences will make you superior to others in those fields (my mother is a doctor of biology and father is a geology mining engineer, i read encyclopedias while growing up instead of playing with toys, well until i got a computer... :P), a lot of people have uprisings towards more social aspects or simply lack those same stimulae when growing up, thus their brain allocates more resources so to say towards social aspects, thus they are perceived as "dumber" due to not having high grades (high grades are not inherently a sign of intelligence btw) but are visibly far better at social aspects than the "nerdy kids" (again, not meant as derogatory).

    You can say that life will shape them differently and due to that some will be more knowledgeable and faster thinkers (also neither is a "sign" of intelligence, simple result of studying and training the mind to make quick decisions, such as video games do)
    There was this very interesting research on how older people dont really think slower than younger people, they tested seniors and teens/young adults, all had about the same level of correct answers (slightly more so on seniors) but seniors took longer, the conclusion was not that the seniors were less educated (older education systems) or had lower brain capacity, but that they simply took longer thinking on the answers due to "growing up" and life experience teaching them that quick decisions usually go wrong, not to mention they are at an age that they have nothing to prove nor they care about flaunting their skills. (or lack of)

    Anyway i start to rant as always...
    Short version: we all have about the same potential, just as muscles it all depends on what you spend more time on, and "genius" level people are usually obsessed with the work, thus spend all their time with it, so obviously someone who doesnt cant compare.

    Go to a boxing ring and pick a play fight with a champion or a good boxer, doesnt matter if you are "genetically superior", you are going down simply from virtue of the boxer spending his days doing that, and you dont (assuming ofc that you dont)

    That analogy transfers towards learning and "intelligence" a lot of it is purely perceived and flaunted, a lot of people who appear very intelligent simply dedicate more time towards that goal, or spend more time trying to prove it to others, thus appear smarter but not necessarily.
    People like to feel superior in any way, jocks will be towards physical activities, nerds will be towards intellectual activities, if either group spent as much time as the other doing their things, they could switch places and hardly be noticable.
    Unless ofc inherent problems such as asthma would affect greately physical performance (i have it) but with enough training you can overcome it (i have) although you wont be as good as someone without it, its a handycap.

    Anyway fuck im ranting.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-31 at 05:08 AM.

  9. #129
    Of his knowledge a man should never boast,
    Rather be sparing of speech
    When to his house a wiser comes:
    Seldom do those who are silent Make mistakes;
    mother wit Is ever a faithful friend.

    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.
    Hávamál.
    It's still bloody true.

  10. #130
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,632
    Madness allows the genius to see things that others are taught to ignore. Would you seek hidden meaning in bending staples? No, it's unreasonable. But what if it's there and you don't look for it because you don't think it's there? Madness doesn't know words "unreasonable" or "impossible".
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

  11. #131
    The Lightbringer Kuja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    City of Judgement
    Posts
    3,031
    Maybe geniuses have higher brain functioning. I bet that can come with side effects eventually, like insanity. That's the only logical reason I can come up with.

    My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!


  12. #132
    because when you see the true evil that which is humanity, you tend to isolate yourself a bit. isolation leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to insanity.

  13. #133
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,040
    Because sanity is a term that describes normal behaviour. The most normal and average person is also the sanest.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Oh gods don't i know it...and then those who THINK they're smart but are really below average are ESPECIALLY annoying...I know someone like that...Oh gods SOOOOOO IRISH WIFE.
    I read the thread up to this point and then lol'd at the irony.

  15. #135
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    I read the thread up to this point and then lol'd at the irony.
    No no i mean as in LITERALLY subpar IQ. Not internet smart guy being dumb or using the internet to hide their idiocy.

    I know a woman who is honestly VERY annoying and quite dumb. Anyone who spends time with her agrees.

    But TBH i've found a fair number of people on this forum to be rather intelligent. Even if i disagree with them every so often or most of the time for that matter.

  16. #136
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    171
    What is considered being sane and/or insane isn’t something solid, it’s something that is very much based on time and space, what is being considered insane today have very likely been considered to have been sane at some place in some time earlier and will probably be considered sane again at some place in some time. What you consider to be insane might very well be sane from another perspective not to mention what we all consider sane or real might be entirely wrong due to lack of perfect information and limitation to our senses.
    So guys stop faceroll come to todays seemingly fotm conclusion of “blab la leeds to isiolation which leads to incanity, this is how it is!”

    yes I'm writing from my phone and no English isn't my first language so go ahead and bash and or totally dismiss my entire post, something we've become so great at due to the "he don't think as me so he is a troll" atitude

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Platon View Post
    yes I'm writing from my phone and no English isn't my first language so go ahead and bash and or totally dismiss my entire post, something we've become so great at due to the "he don't think as me so he is a troll" atitude
    Wow; passive aggressive much?

    I'm sorry, but such hostility was not justified.

  18. #138
    Bloodsail Admiral KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Seventyseven sea's.
    Posts
    1,017
    Because normal people do not understand such things, thats it, there is no other reason.

    But no they are not, I would say, nearly no "genius" is mad.

    Right now thousands of theoretical physicians are out there achieving things that no normal human without this education would understand or atleast comprehend. If someone tells you about the string theory, you would call him mad, most likely I would call him mad, for I dont understand him.

    If we don't understand, the problems is in us, not the genius.
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •