Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Acceptable fps and latency for pvp

Coming back to WoW after a very long break and I want to try more pvp this time around. I'm in CA and I have friends who play on an East Coast server. When I log in, my fps is around 40-60 and my latency goes between 70 and 200. What is acceptable to actually be competitive at pvp? On West Coast servers it's a lot better, but I would like to play with my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewp View Post
    Coming back to WoW after a very long break and I want to try more pvp this time around. I'm in CA and I have friends who play on an East Coast server. When I log in, my fps is around 40-60 and my latency goes between 70 and 200. What is acceptable to actually be competitive at pvp? On West Coast servers it's a lot better, but I would like to play with my friends.
    I've played around 2400 rating with 170MS for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by solvexx; 2013-01-29 at 05:51 AM.

the lower the better obviously

i play with around 400-500ms so no way i can play competitive, peak hour its about 600ish

i would assume the 150 mark is acceptable

i live on the east coast and i play on west coast servers almost exclusively, i also live in the boonies and have third world internet. my latency can be anywhere from 150 to 300 depending on the time of day. i'm a solid 2.2k player, i know quite a few players who are far better then me who play at much higher ms then i do and have actually learned to use their lag to their advantage. if you are a good player with good reflexes i think you can probably compensate for up to 500ms.

frame rate lag is another matter entirely, you can play at low resolution quite easily, i've arenaed at around 20fps before, its not fun, but its not impossible. however if you suffer from frequent frame rate stutters and lag spikes i wouldn't recommend it at all, an inopportune spike can win or lose matches.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Khwaj View Post
    the lower the better obviously

i play with around 400-500ms so no way i can play competitive, peak hour its about 600ish

i would assume the 150 mark is acceptable
    I really feel bad for you man. I'm usually at about 25-30, anything above 50 would currently be unplayable for me..

I play between 210 and 240

I remember in Wotlk,Cata my ms would hover around 30-60 home and world. Now I have 100-200 ALL THE TIME. On the same servers as I allways have. I don't notice to much in game, sometimes there can be a little lag. As in arena, running "ontop" of a target and can't get a single hamstring in annoys me....

Deleted
    Just got new internet, I run a stable 31-32 MS World/Home all the time and a 70+ FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    30-40 MS, constant 120 fps on ultra setting, even 25 man raids.
    Sub 100 MS is perfect, under 300 is still "ok", above 300 it gets a bit troublesome but there are players who still manage to get a nice rating with such high MS.

If it's just latency and your connection is otherwise fine in terms of stability and bandwidth, I'd think you could get away with some pretty high latency. Aside from interrupts, there really isn't much in this game that requires reflexes or fast reactions. It's just annoying when anything is slower than you're accustomed to.

My connection sits around 40ms at its best, which I actually though was pretty terrible. Sometimes it'll get slower though, and I usually quit playing if it gets up around 100ms.

A different server really shouldn't have any impact on framerate, but as for that you should be aiming for a smooth game. If I'm playing on a machine that isn't processing a solid 60fps, I turn down graphics settings until I get that. Aside from projected textures and particle density, none of the graphics settings will give you any benefits and a choppy computer will hinder your play more than anything.
    Last edited by asb; 2013-01-29 at 05:13 PM.

70-200 is fine, but some classes start to glitch out (the higher your MS is) and you would have to get used to that. It's playable though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I've played around 2200 rating with 170MS for as long as I can remember.
    fixed that for ya.

I personally play on Ultra view distance while Good-High settings on the rest, netting me aroud 50-60 fps. I use ultra for rbgs so i can see the whole map. I play with around 25-30ms. Try playing on a server that is hosted near you in order to achieve lowest possible MS. My friend used to play on a west coast server and he had around 120 ms constantly. He transferred to an east coast server that was hosted literally down the street with him, he only plays with 5-10 ms now.

I'm in the same boat with about 180ms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    I really feel bad for you man. I'm usually at about 25-30, anything above 50 would currently be unplayable for me..
    This. I despise any latency over 80. The feeling of mashing a button because it won't go off instantly is probably the worst feeling in an online game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    under 85ms and your fine, but high ms has its advantages

as an aussie, i would say under 200ms is ok. less is always going to be better. i've never experienced any better than 190, so i can't really say.

you don't need that much for fps. anything 30 or more and it's not going to affect your gameplay.

Deleted
    I'm staying in India for 6 months, and playing with 230-330 MS. So far it has suprised me how playable the game still was. At home, i allways got around 30 to 40 MS. Even though the game is very playable with 300ms, i think for competitive play, 170 or lower is required, but thats maybe because i still have to get used to the MS ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I get 43/43 on comcast cable broadband with between 70-110 fps.

There really isnt much difference between 50 and 150.