Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    The tol'vir built the Ulduar structures as well as the Uldum ones. They were turned into obsidian destroyers by the nerubians, hence why they aren't in Northrend anymore.

Who knows what, if any, titan-architecture we've seen is the 'real' titan style.
    Well judging from the earliest artwork drawn by blizzard artists the titans were pretty much designed around norse mythology though the earliest artwork i can find is from warcraft2.

My guess is that the artistic styling of Uldum has nothing to do with the titans themselves and the design was simply used because Blizz went hrm lets give it an ancient Egyptian theme and just say the entire zone was a failed titan experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Well judging from the earliest artwork drawn by blizzard artists the titans were pretty much designed around norse mythology though the earliest artwork i can find is from warcraft2.
    The Titans didn't exist in WC2. They were conceptualized for WC3, and they were originally presented as greco-roman, most specifically closer to the Greek side. For instance, Aman'Thul is for all intents and purposes "Zeus", as the both the leader of the Pantheon (Mount Olympus), and being presented as having power over lightening.

When WoW was first released, all the Titan structures and constructs we found had greco-roman flare, from the marble and pillar design of the halls and vaults, all the way down to the fact the constructs like Archaedas and Ironaya had leg wrap sandals. It was WOTLK that first added any Norse undertones, and that was because they wanted to branch out the Titans as largely a representation of all older polytheistic religions rather then a single one and thus added designs that fit the cold north presentation of Northrend, which is why they took it further in Cataclysm by making Uldum a representation of Egyptian polytheistic design.
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2013-01-29 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Val'kyr - vrykul who turned into undead and gained special powers. Not the same as a race who have wings while they're alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    After reading dome posts, I've made a nice theory (at least to me) :P

We have seen in the warlock questline dialogue posted not long ago that the Doomguards were originally Titanic creations purposed to guard the magical ways. Here s where my speculation comes in:

Let's say the Titans find a great Darkness "under" the planets or even the Twisting Nether itself, and then create a race to guard it off. They make them angelic beings, with wings and all, just like angels as we know them, and send them to all worlds (in secret, perhaps, so even the Tribunal of Ages does not know it) to retrieve the souls of those who are pulled to this Darkness before their time. The Titans name this race the Nathrezim.

Just like Sargeras made the Eredar into Man'ari, he makes the pure form of the Nathrezim into Dreadlords, who then join the Burning Legion, forgetting their original purpose. However, those sent to Azeroth are still pure, and are the Spirit Healers we know today. Then, long after, the Lich King, guarded by the Dreadlords, learns their secrets and is able to morph the Vrykul into a different form of corrupted Nathrezim, and calls them Val'kyr.

Or maybe its got nothing to do with this. A man can dream :P
    Not impossible, with the latest Doomguard revelation. Though I think it'd make a better twist if the Nathrezim fell to darkness first like the Doomguard did.

It'd make you wonder how many of Sargeras' demon round-ups were really him cleaning up the messes the Pantheon. Small wonder he lost faith in them, if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

My guess is that the artistic styling of Uldum has nothing to do with the titans themselves and the design was simply used because Blizz went hrm lets give it an ancient Egyptian theme and just say the entire zone was a failed titan experiment.
    As some posts have already pointed out, the titans seem to borrow from various 'regal pantheon' cultures to create their structures - egyptian, norse, etc. The titans themselves have always been depicted as kind've greco-roman inspired - modeled after Zeus, Ares, Neptune, and other such deities.

They might ultimately be a mash-up of all of them, when we see them face to face at last. The most recent art of non-corrupt Sargeras makes him appear egyptian-styled.

Personally, I think that the tol'vir and other builders heavily influence the titan structures they design and construct. The titans say what they need, and leave the personally flourishes to their servitor races. Hence why you get such a wide variety in the different regions - aesthetic preferences from the various tol'vir architects.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2013-01-29 at 08:34 PM.