What is a mouse-over macro...and other noob questions

It seems self explanatory, but I setup a mouse-over macro to place living bomb on the target that my mouse is over...but it didnt work.

#showtooltip Living Bomb
    /cast [@mouseover, harm] [ ] Living Bomb

So, what exactly is a mouseover macro, how does it work, how do I set it up correctly, and do I need to do anything like hit a key for it to work? I apologize for being a noob about this, but I've never used macros much.

/cast [@mouseover, exists, harm] Shadow Word: Death; Shadow Word: Death

Deleted
    Your macro looks good. Maybe drop a few spaces, I'm not sure how sensitive the macro engine is with these:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover,harm][]Living Bomb
    Should cast LB on your mouseover as long as it is an enemy.

You might try this instead:

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover]Living Bomb

I appreciate the input, but nobody answered my questions:

So, what exactly is a mouseover macro, how does it work, how do I set it up correctly, and do I need to do anything like hit a key for it to work?

Have the same question myself... I hope someone answer this fast

Deleted
    It allows you to cast a spell at the unit that your mouse is currently over - this can either be the actual unit in the game world or its unit frame.
    This is done by using the "target=unitid" macro option, which can be shortened to "@unitid" as demonstrated above. The unitID used is "mouseover", which, as you might've guessed, refers to the unit your mouse is currently hovering over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post

So, what exactly is a mouseover macro, how does it work, how do I set it up correctly, and do I need to do anything like hit a key for it to work?
    If i remember correctly you do need to bind the macro to a key or mousebutton for it to work.

Deleted
    You bind it to a key on your keyboard, let's say the "r" key. You then move your mouse over the unit you want to cast the spell on, and press the "r" key. The spell is cast at the unit you were mousing over without changing your current target.

Mouseover macros mostly used by healers in PvE, as they readily have the raid frames available for mousing over.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-01-18 at 07:48 PM.

Treeston's macro is the most efficient way to write this macro. Also the empty bracket box after the mouseover means basically, if none of the previous conditions were true, (you didnt have your mouse over an enemy when you hit the keybind) then it will 'cast the spell as normal' on your current target.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post

mouseover macro is when your cursor is over amob, player, or unit frame and you press a hotkey to use an ability on whatever youre cursor is hovering over.

I use them for healing. I mouseover the raid frames and use hotkeys to heal that way. the only drawback is they dont really work well when you are required to move a lot.

example of a mouseover macro: /cast [target=mouseover] healing wave

then bind that macro to a hotkey and theres your mouseover heal. works great because you dont have to target anyone to heal them.

ok, thanks...i think I have a better understanding of how a mouseover macro could help with some like applying Living Bomb without having to target the unit....it will apply it quicker with a mousover macro

Deleted
    Also use enemy name plates, so its easier to mouseover them. But i wouldn't use living bomb or other dots with a mouseover macro. It will screw you over if there are several targets stacked or walking infront of each other, and you could maybe accidentally put living bomb on the wrong target.

Wow...this mouse-over macro is amazing! I just tested it, and put NT on like 12 targets with ease!!!

Deleted
    While were on the topic of mouseover macros I'll post this here.

Does anyone have any clue why /focus mouseover wouldn't be allowing me to focus targets from frames (for example party frame, arena frames, boss frames etc). Seems I'm only able to focus when I'm mouseovered the actual units and not when I'm mouseovering a frame.

Deleted
    What is it bound to? If it's a mouse button, see my post in this thread.