Poll: Would you like Vanilla-like 5 mans back?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    5 man dungeon with a "raid" difficulty was what we got in vanilla. I hoped that challenge mode was that, but it turned into a trash speed run

To avoid the casuals crying their balls off (wonder if I'll get warned again for using the term casuals), Blizzard would have to label them "Challenge Instances" or "InsaneHeroicNoCasualsAllowedNoFreeLootHere Instances.

aka, won't happen. Blizzard is a business and casuals give them more money than hardcore players. So they will cater to them.

Deleted
    I'd like to say: Sure, 1 or 2 and plenty of modern (short and easy) ones. I will never, ever, ever run those Vanilla like dungeons, I hate them with all my heart (I level alts solely through dungeons, except during the BRD levels), but I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 for the people that like them.

Everything about the current 5-mans is way better. They're more reasonable in terms of time investment, they look way better, the gameplay and encounter design is far more interesting ... why would I want to play something that holds 2004 standards.

My favorite dungeon in the game is BRD.

I did complete every single quest there before Cataclysm revamp. It required 3 or 4 runs. And it wasn't even Dungeon Finder days, I did had to pick a group each time. AND I did all of that with level apropriate players, someone over level 56 would not come to my group. It was glorious.

But nowadays, a dungeon that long would not work. It just takes too long.

I would wnjoy some sort of middle ground. A good example of a middle ground would be revamped Scholomance. It is not so short as most modern dungeons, but it also doesn't take forever as BRD back in the day.

Well, maybe A LITTLE longer... Since I would kind of enjoy having some wings to explore, and the new Scholo is totally atreamlined...

No one in today's WoW playerbase would have the patience to run an instance like BrD or Maraudon the way it used to be 5 - 6 years ago. Like Kangodo said, they'd either bitch and moan about being FORCED to run it for upgrades...or just not touch it because it had nothing they wanted.

That said I'm not sure I could run BrD again the old way, with the trash fixed to the level it used to be...I used to have to set aside the better part of a day to full clear that place.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

I feel Looking for dungeons destroyed the feel of classic, tbc, and early wotlk dungeons...
    It was true it was hard to gte groups for low lvl dungeons with so many players at endcap, which happened for most players at wotlk big time,
    since the xp requirements for lvling old stuff was lowered big time. But the introduction of lfd gave so much benefit (so much easier to find the tanks an healers) that doing normal dungeonss starting dying out.... I sometimes queue with a couple of friends but never a full group anymore

Everything had to be faster and people in lfd have far less patience then your guildies, and friends you made while trying to fill the missing spot(s) in the party... You could choose the players that did not give up easily and add them to your friends

My favorite dungeons were nearly everything from TBC (we did not appreciate everything in auchi)
    Classic: Deadmines, Scarlet Monestery (with the complicated key system), Uldaman (a big favorite), Dire Maul, BRD (as big a favorite as ulda) , Scholomance (and yes i got the complicated key), Stratholme we did often too. We even did the too complicated Maraudon.... took a long time not to get lost there

Did not take Blizzard long to cut a place like Maraudon in pieces, but the way it is done you also miss parts of the story.

In after dungeonfinder I still Icecrown citadel most. Catas pre Deathwing story did not accomplish the same as Icecrown citadel did. MOP does not have anything like this at all, bu considering it was for bot exp packs the last dungeon release I still hope stuff like this is coming.

I am dissapointed about no new dungeons in 5.2 atm.
    Last edited by Amazone; 2013-01-29 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Everything about the current 5-mans is way better. They're more reasonable in terms of time investment, they look way better, the gameplay and encounter design is far more interesting ... why would I want to play something that holds 2004 standards.
    Sigh... guess people just don't read or understand the poll + OP. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "Vanilla" in the text, perhaps then people wouldn't be crying like: Oh the big bad OP wants to go back to the boring Vanilla instances where there were no skills involved / no encounter design compared to now and everything was ugly compared to now.

Geez learn to comprehend... I won't even bother explaining myself for the 3rd time. You do have a point about time // reward issue. But hey I never said anything at all about that and guess what... if this even would be implemented - it is up to Blizzard to make something nice of it isn't it. Perhaps they could adjust?? OMG really?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    While i did enjoy difficult and long 5-mans back in Vanilla (With nostalgia making it all seem more fun and less aggravating than it was), i don't think it would work, in any way, at all...

Spending well over an hour in one instance (Over 2 hours if unlucky, and often unlucky) to get nothing out of it (Remember, this was before JPs/badges) was frustrating back then, and i find that i have less tolerance for needless frustration nowadays than i must have had 8 years ago, and that's just me, the rest of the playerbase has gotten a more... let's say "Businesslike" attitude with regards to WoW than back then, instances as long, difficult and likely unrewarding as back in Vanilla would put me off the game entirely, and i daresay i wouldn't be the only one...
    You're forgetting about this thing called "fun".
    That's what you got out of it. There's also the aspect of satisfaction from working towards a goal and achieving it. That's sort of lost nowadays. Everything needs to be instantly gratifying.

15+ Year Old Account
    They upped the cata 5-man dungeons to a modest difficulty and ppl didn't like it for some reason so i doubt you'll get anymore of them

Deleted
    You people actually have enough time to do hours long dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by Modify View Post
    They upped the cata 5-man dungeons to a modest difficulty and ppl didn't like it for some reason so i doubt you'll get anymore of them
    It is not about the difficulty But I wouldn't mind having a bit more stress during 5 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Vanilla Challenge Mode Dungeons bring them on !!!
    This is basically what I came into this thread to say, but stretch it across all the expansions. Shattered Halls, the original Challenge mode!

I don't want the length. I want the difficulty and cc'ing back. Instead of the pull groups and faceroll.

I used to farm heroic 5 mans in BC for the Isle badges for the awesome gear outside of raiding.. Doing that with a bunch of friends i used to play with was pretty close to the best time i've had in the game.. You needed a good tank and healer, you needed to cc and a couple wipes were a part of the run unless you played it well. It made you feel like your skills were worth something.. And the rewards were good.

I don't want to turn this into a BC vs current WoW post, but BC was epic.
    Last edited by Chareoss; 2013-01-29 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, one or two would be GREAT. LOVE BRD, BRS, all them big instances. However, they would need to do a few things...

1: You gain valor for, say, every 3rd or so boss you down, and a bigger amount after downing the end boss.

2: the last boss must drop higher ilvl loot- if it was introduced in mists, the last boss would drop ilvl 476 epics.

3: Good lore. Downing the bosses shouldnt be "lol lewtz", it should be "man, that was an awesome fight. I wonder what his background is".

Throw in a random mount drop from all the bosses (Lets say it was a Troll 5-man. Each boss would have a very small chance of dropping a bat mount), and its gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Yeah Shattered Halls was insane when it wasn't nerfed. I loved it. But again this isn't a thread about difficulty. But again if that came with it.. by all means.

I would prefer the BC model. Dungeons were not as long as in Vanilla, but not as short as Wrath and unwards either. I think they stroke a nice balance back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Yes, one or two would be GREAT. LOVE BRD, BRS, all them big instances. However, they would need to do a few things...

1: You gain valor for, say, every 3rd or so boss you down, and a bigger amount after downing the end boss.

2: the last boss must drop higher ilvl loot- if it was introduced in mists, the last boss would drop ilvl 476 epics.

3: Good lore. Downing the bosses shouldnt be "lol lewtz", it should be "man, that was an awesome fight. I wonder what his background is".

Throw in a random mount drop from all the bosses (Lets say it was a Troll 5-man. Each boss would have a very small chance of dropping a bat mount), and its gold.
    Oh nice. But I wouldn't say "epics". I think those end bosses should drop a weapon of 476. Nothing else. So a lot of people will actually do these dungeons when they are still in heroic gear and since you cannot buy any weapons with Valor... + Sha crystals are also nice to have.

I sure do miss the days of coming home and doing Ubrs 2-3 times a day mixed in with a 45 minute baron run! Those sure were some good times. Oh can't forget my favorite jailbreak run in BRD!

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I would prefer the BC model. Dungeons were not as long as in Vanilla, but not as short as Wrath and unwards either. I think they stroke a nice balance back then.
    They did have some very short dungeons, Ramparts being the shortest afk. they also had some long dungeons (not BRD size) shadowlabs ¬_¬ the horror of trash in that place.

I would like there to be some longer dungeons, but I would actually like some more 5man content. If they brought out a 5man dungeon as large as Kara (I know I know) split it to 4 parts in LFD but you can go to the dungeon in another format where you face all of the bosses in one run but the rewards are slightly better or you just get extra loot at the end of the run. I'd be in for doing that a few times and if I dont have time I can always do the LFD quick runs!