Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

GC's tweet for lack of a dps burst cd for shadow priests

"Surge of Darkness and Mindbender are decent burst buttons and we're trying to redesign Insanity to provide a third."

Sorry, I know that this has been discussed thousands of times before, but I read this just now and it gave me the urge to go on top of a mountain and scream how stupid of an answer this is from the top of my lungs.

This is actually an answer to somebody's tweet concerning the lack of a dps cd.

So we're in a boss fight, there's a burn phase. And during that phase, all we can do is hope for a single spell proc or two (maybe three if we're extremely lucky), use an improved version of fiend that is more of a slight dps increase on a long run and definitely NOT a dps cd, or the new, "improved", solution for every problem that we had since the release, Mind Flay: Insanity, where we have a 6 second window to do better single target dps and deal with falling dots, off-the-cd MB, or even procced MBs through DI.

And while everybody and their parents know that PI is not an option for us because of the oh-so-horrible scaling problem that we have, it's kinda weird that they never say a word about it, leave aside trying to redesign it or fix our scaling problem. Even they don't see it as a burst dps cd for us considering that it wasn't amongst GC's answers for the lack of a burst cd. And this just amazes me after seeing him tweet that they're redesigning the talents that only a few people are using or none at all. Is there anyone actually using PI, or is it just me ignoring that?

Trinkets + DP and Mindbender (or Shadow Fiend) is good enough for any burst phase imo.

Deleted
    If you click the tweet the original tweeter also answered
    MichałNiech ‏@MichaNiech
    @Ghostcrawler These are all same tier talents, 2 of them relying on proc or specific condition. Was thinking more about a baseline cooldown.

hope he can answer THIS.

The talents we have are no DPS CDs, it's not an extra button to press that will increase our dmg by X% over Y seconds or anything, which is what we lack
    I'm currently progressing on heroic ambershaper and when we do the "push on amber scalpel" oh god, everyone's always like "can you do more dmg?" and NO I CAN'T. this is a good example of why we also need some burn button...that is NOT in the talents, but BASELINE.

Everything would be fine if we'd get our old wings back. And for pvp, just make it dispellable, then there ya go, all would be well and joy again..

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Trinkets + DP and Mindbender (or Shadow Fiend) is good enough for any burst phase imo.
    There are no "on use" trinkets in this tier,
    shadowfiend is NOT a Dps CD, the dmg it deals is waaay to small, and on some fights you do not want Mindbender for a full fight, so it doesn't count.
    that leaves DP.
    1 Dot. that won't even be the same in 5.2, so that leaves us with... yep.. 0 CDs.

Yeah... hoping for procs and/or using a mana regen spell aren't burst CDs. By any measure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm done with WoW. Too much are Shadow Priests being shafted, and I'm not into leveling anymore alts. We don't scale with what is *Supposed* to be our best stat in haste. The burst from DP is leaving us soon, and they seem to think a talent that removes all of our DOTS is the solution. It really pains me to play a class and spec that is constantly put in the shitter because Blizzard has no idea what to do with us, or how to make all 3 specs good. If I wanted to play a class with only a single good spec, I'd play a private server and have a Fire Mage.

I'm just fully burnt on all of this and the game in general. Myself and other Shadow Priests with better gear than others shouldn't be asked to "Do more damage" because we have nothing to offer in the CD department.

Enjoy fucking more Priests again Blizzard. I've been playing since Vanilla, and I can truly say I think I'm done.

Deleted
    The worst part for me is that I really wanna reroll warlock since they're basically the same class anyway only SO MUCH BETTER but then my guild would have to find a new 3rd healer. sigh. this is awful and I hope GC realizes that we don't have any burst "button" a la Ascendance-ish which is much needed. We'd do awesome with some sort of ascendance, no cd on mindblast for a few secs, which would give lots of DP during that, now thats a burst thats needed.

when will he understand that a procc is not a dps burst cd, and stop pretending mindbender to be a dps cd when there's a superior talent available.

Why does everyone have to be burst? The diversity is waning.

Practically, the class does not lack burst, but the feeling of having an on demand cooldown available is still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    I think I'm done with WoW. Too much are Shadow Priests being shafted, and I'm not into leveling anymore alts. We don't scale with what is *Supposed* to be our best stat in haste. The burst from DP is leaving us soon, and they seem to think a talent that removes all of our DOTS is the solution. It really pains me to play a class and spec that is constantly put in the shitter because Blizzard has no idea what to do with us, or how to make all 3 specs good. If I wanted to play a class with only a single good spec, I'd play a private server and have a Fire Mage.

I'm just fully burnt on all of this and the game in general. Myself and other Shadow Priests with better gear than others shouldn't be asked to "Do more damage" because we have nothing to offer in the CD department.

Enjoy fucking more Priests again Blizzard. I've been playing since Vanilla, and I can truly say I think I'm done.
    1. DP burst nerf is actually a DPS gain in PVE. You deal less up front damage but since the dot is ticking harder you get more damage from mastery procs.
    2. I agree that our scaling with secondary stats is a little disappointing.
    3 Insanity is being retooled as an empowered mindflay when you have DP up.
    4. Even tho we lack a proper cooldown we are not as bad as you are making it out to be.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker65 View Post
    Why does everyone have to be burst? The diversity is waning.
    Every class needs an on demand burst because certain fights require you to quickly kill stuff asap. if you get benched for not being able to do as much dmg as any other class during a burst phase, well then something obviously needs to change.

spriests are, far as i know, the only class without any on demand burst COOLDOWN.

1. It's a dps gain, but it's a burst nerf, which is the focus of the conversation atm.
    2. Not just a little. Only one secondary stat has an atual benefit for us and when we're at the breakpoint getting more is close to useless.
    3. See the first post about how it can be a lot more annoying than it is now.
    4. We have sudden burst spikes with our procs & DP to help us get closer to the majority of specs that outdps us, but in the end, while our multidot dps is acceptable, our single target dps still sucks balls. And furthermore, we lack a dps cd to keep us on par with them at least during the burn phases.

And you have to admit that the answer we got from GC was utterly stupid.
    Last edited by Crudelitas; 2013-01-29 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo

It's not actually a nerf if you let it tick the whole duration, I can't think of a fight where you would use DP for the upfront damage and not care if it got any ticks off.

All answers from GC are stupid, you can't take that personally ^.^
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post

U are i lvl 484 and complaining how your class is scaling? What? Spriests are really in a good state, and have so much potential

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfmagesffs View Post
    U are i lvl 484 and complaining how your class is scaling? What? Spriests are really in a good state, and have so much potential
    My priests has a far higher ilvl and no we are not in a good spot scaling wise, the more gear my raid gets the bigger the gap to the top classes. I deal more damage on my dk, with his ilvl being lower and me basically just mashing the buttons that light up (while I'm playing my priest very close to perfection). Bringing a sp over a mage/lock just means gimping your raid atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    1. DP burst nerf is actually a DPS gain in PVE. You deal less up front damage but since the dot is ticking harder you get more damage from mastery procs.
    4. Even tho we lack a proper cooldown we are not as bad as you are making it out to be.
    I'm not so sure. The feeling I've gotten is that since BC, Blizzard hasn't felt the need to do anything with us that is greatly beneficial to us or the raids we join, unless of course we complain enough. The change to DP is a prime example of what I'm saying. I get that it's now changed for the dot to tick harder and do more sustained damage, but how many SPriests were really stacking mastery when for so long it was so bad? It reminds me of Prot Paladins stacking haste to replace dodge. I'm not saying we need an OP CD that makes everyone want to play an SPriest, I'm arguing that Blizzard doesn't care enough to fix the main issues with us. It's like Alidie stated, we might as well play Warlocks since it's basically the same thing, but pump out way more damage.

So I'm stating that why should I continue to play a spec that lacks in damage, lacks a good CD and requires a stat that has never been *that* useful for me to reforge into? Maybe I'm just irritated at how things are going with Shadow Priests right now.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    leveling a warlock right now to reroll... is like... im 81 and i have 3-4 times more dps cooldowns than a spriest... and omfg... shadowpriest has mindbender and trinket like someone here said... but guess what warlocks have... demon form... haste procs.. sacrifice a pet for more damage.. the pet damage.... and doom guard... and trinket...and the ridiculous mastery benefit....i have 3,200 more spell power than our guild lock... hes burst vs mine is just retarded....shadowpriest has no BURST if you say they have...you are so wrong...
    oh... and aoe? lol hellfire while casting something else.... on demon form(20% more damage)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfmagesffs View Post
    I decided to stop raiding and really playing anymore. I do know that haste and better stats aren't doing me any good honestly, and we are not in a good state at all. I was more comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed being shadow more in WotLK and Cata. I even enjoyed it more in TBC.

plus you don't need high ilvl to calculate what's to come.

Deleted
    And even with your other option Mindbender, Shadowfiend actually hits harder per use so would be considered better "burst".

This tweet made me feel a little sick, the ignorance I feel shadow priests have faced is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Speaking of, will this make mastery the go-to stat in PvE?
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.