Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need help finding drivers for laptop

So I'm trying to find wireless drivers for this laptop... It's a Lenovo G580 (model #2189)

Here's the problem... I'm running Windows 7, and for some arbitrary reason Lenovo are not offering drivers for Vista or W7. Wtf. (And yes, this laptop originally came with W7...)

I tried the support site's XP drivers, but they didn't even register the wifi in the slightest...

Deleted
    any chance you can get the speccs of the wifi adapter inside your laptop and download drivers from the manufacturer's site?

What about the Windows 8 drivers? Those won't work either?

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    What about the Windows 8 drivers? Those won't work either?
    "Windows 8 required", it told me.

It appears that a lot of the issues stem from the fact that they reuse a lot of the model numbers and series. I don't have the slightest clue which exact model number my laptop is... It sports an Intel i5 2450M, 6GB RAM and a 750 GB Samsung Spinpoint drive. (I replaced the drive with my spare Force 3 240GB.) However, it claims the model number is a Lenovo G580 2189, which when googled brings up shit like Intel Celeron machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    "Windows 8 required", it told me.

It appears that a lot of the issues stem from the fact that they reuse a lot of the model numbers and series. I don't have the slightest clue which exact model number my laptop is... It sports an Intel i5 2450M, 6GB RAM and a 750 GB Samsung Spinpoint drive. (I replaced the drive with my spare Force 3 240GB.) However, it claims the model number is a Lenovo G580 2189, which when googled brings up shit like Intel Celeron machines.
    Could it be this model?

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1474970
    http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=1504710
    Confusing names.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

15+ Year Old Account
    You could search for the Hardware ID in the device manager and try googling it or post it here.

On the Lenovo website it shows that the notebook can come with either the Intel 6150 or 6250 modules. I guess you can try the driver from the Intel website.

I tried to follow your suggestion, stalkerzzzz, but upon attempting to run the installer literally jack shit happened.

For the record, this is what device manager looks like atm. I'm not sure which of these are supposed to be the wireless one.

I tried to follow your suggestion, stalkerzzzz, but upon attempting to run the installer literally jack shit happened.

http://i.imgur.com/FaWFa5Z.jpg

For the record, this is what device manager looks like atm. I'm not sure which of these are supposed to be the wireless one.
    a bit of googling found me this on a microsoft support forum:
    Hi, I have found the solution. If you go in device manager, click on the pci simple communications controller, go in property and then go in details. You will see a code like per example PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in my case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to http://pcidatabase.com/. Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your

hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.

In my case the pci simple communications controller was a Microsoft UAA Bus HD audio. I also had another pci

device that didn't work properly, using the same method I found out that my pci device was an HSF PCI internal modem with code number CX11252-11. I had a hard time downloading one of the drivers, after 6 or 7 times the download started so be patient if you have the same hardware

NOTE: to access the device manager, go in control panel, then performance and maintenance, system, hardware and finally device manager.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...-2dd1cb56e151/

MAybe that will help you

USB2.0-CRW : Realtek Card Reader
    USB Controler : Intel USB 3
    PCI Simple Communications Controler : either W-Lan or Bluetooth , try to download a driver at the INTELs page or try to find a W-Lan driver from Atheros
    SM Bus Controller: can be everything try it with the chipsetdriver (Intel or AMD)

post the hardware id of the Unknown Device eventually we can find then out what it is

Sooooooooo...

This, when I searched with Butler Log's link, indicated it was chipset stuff... Which didn't make sense when I already had chipset driver installed. Here's what Intel's lil' search on my machine discovers when I let them search what drivers I have installed...

Oh, and yes, the device is still not recognized. Sooooo...

Oh, and also, here's the Unknown Device.

Have you tried all the drivers from this page?
    Category: Wireless LAN

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused. I went to Lenovo's website and all the Win7 drivers were there for the G580.

EDIT: Wireless driver ought to be this one.

Oh derp. It seems the solution was simple... I didn't even realize there were two "Wireless" categories. -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    WEird. I'm not sure what website you're looking at, but the one I was looking at doesn't even have a drop down menu like that.

Oh derp. It seems the solution was simple... I didn't even realize there were two "Wireless" categories. -.-

Don't worry, I didn't realize the second one, the first time I looked, either.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    WEird. I'm not sure what website you're looking at, but the one I was looking at doesn't even have a drop down menu like that.
    It was this page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh. I just went to that laptop's driver page and everything was there. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Oh. I just went to that laptop's driver page and everything was there. >.>
    Yes, so did I. The 2189 was supposed to be the model number of the laptop, but it turns out it was as generic of a name as G580 in the end.

Try this link, it has several drivers for wifi; Here Lenovo G580/2189 & Lenovo G580/2689
    My Armory - Tenzi