Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Media Quiet about San Antonio theater shooting

Have you heard this news?

Media Quiet about San Antonio theater shooting

On Sunday Decmber 17, 2012, 2 days after the CT SHOOTING, A MAN WENT to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his X-girlfriend. After he shot her, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater. The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It’s like the Aurora, Co theater story plus a restaurant.

Now aren’t you wondering why this isn’t a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?

There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. She pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.
    Only the local media covered it. The city is giving her a medal next week.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantonio.asp

Im guessing because your media is sensationalist x 10 and its the killcount that does it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    Have you heard this news?
    I heard about it, a trained police officer did her job, good for her, she deserves a reward. She is however, as stated, a police officer, not some vigilante untrained to deal with such situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Im guessing because your media is sensationalist x 10 and its the killcount that does it.
    I think that about sums it up.

Good work by the deputy, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    This doesnt give evidence for or against the legalization of guns. Also INB4 the next 10,000 inevitable "what if" scenarios.
    If anything it proves that the USA needs more police, not armed civilians.

If the answer is putting good people with guns in every single public place then I'm sorry for your country.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, that is the media for you

you don't hear stories about cops doing their job, because it's what's expected of them

you hear stories about them shooting dogs, because it's what gets ratings

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I heard about it, a trained police officer did her job, good for her, she deserves a reward. She is however, as stated, a police officer, not some vigilante untrained to deal with such situations.
    Police officer without gun would not have stopped it. Also, police don't do that much hands on firearm training either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well, that is the media for you

you don't hear stories about cops doing their job, because it's what's expected of them

you hear stories about them shooting dogs, because it's what gets ratings
    This just in. Police did their job. More at eleven.

Next up. Firemen put out fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Also, police don't do that much hands on firearm training either.
    I'm pretty sure the ones who carry guns do...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more worried that the gun was available to the shooter in the first place. It's not solving an issue if the thing you're lauding also caused it. People should give me medals for pushing and then holding my wife on balconies over and over and say "saved your life." Must have been ten times the last time I did it, I'm a bloody hero!

Also, this thread should be rolled into the gun control one.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Police officer without gun would not have stopped it. Also, police don't do that much hands on firearm training either.
    Really? I would like to know how you know this considering they have to be accurate. Compared to the people that are buying guns now at a kneejerk reaction to what might happen to some sort of gun control. Let me guess? You are one of those gun advocates saying everyone should be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spammer of the Horde View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ones who carry guns do...
    I am actually very close friends with a number of them and they dont. They pass the annual test and beyond that it is their own choice whether or not to fire for practice.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Really? I would like to know how you know this considering they have to be accurate. Compared to the people that are buying guns now at a kneejerk reaction to what might happen to some sort of gun control. Let me guess? You are one of those gun advocates saying everyone should be armed.
    Yay jumping to assumptions works every time.....

Deleted
    I am actually very close friends with a number of them and they dont. They pass the annual test and beyond that it is their own choice whether or not to fire for practice.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:34 PM ----------

Yay jumping to assumptions works every time.....
    Still more testing required than the US citizen is required to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    More police who are properly trained in when to use a gun and you got yourself a deal.
    Please stop pretending you know the cultural landscape of America. You make no deals for us just like I will make no deals for you Scots/hill people w/e.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what? I live here and I never even heard about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please stop pretending you know the cultural landscape of America. You make no deals for us just like I will make no deals for you Scots/hill people w/e.
    Don't be nationalist. It's really not needed.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Media cares about numbers and destruction normally. While there is some bias in media concerning guns as of late, it's not as exaggerated as some gun rights advocates would want you to believe. You have an officer present in a movie theater that did her job and few causalities as a result, it's just not as big of a story.

To entertain the whole story I don't think this proves a whole lot. The circumstances are completely different between this and Aurora shooting. People in the theater went into panic exiting the theater as the gunman was entering the theater (because of gunshots), there was no tear gas or whatever agent the dude in Aurora used on the crowd.

The officer did an excellent job and deserves recognition for sure, but these circumstances are different.

It was in the news when it happened, it was just over shadowed by little kids being killed at school. Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean that it wasn't reported. And it happened Sunday, December 16 (not 17).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This just in. Police did their job. More at eleven.

Next up. Firemen put out fire.
    You just proved the fuck out of his point. That police officer doing her job saved countless innocent lives. Why is that not news!? Why on earth would you rather hear about a psychopath shooting up a movie theater over a police officer saving lives? You are fucked in that head if you think that way. If you saw a real tragedy in front of you instead of through a box half way around the world you would think much differently.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.