Page 14 of 81 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
24
64
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Herald of the Titans Porimlys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    2,744
    No.

    Racism = Prejudice + Power.

    Prejudice against white people can certainly exist. But there is no system of institutionalized oppression against white people in place, there is no societal structure backing up prejudices against white people, so "reverse racism" and racism against white people isn't really a thing.
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2013-01-30 at 01:45 AM.

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    Yes of course, we jus[I]t dont scream racism all around us if it happends to us. The racism card has been tossed around in every fucking direction lately it has started to loose its meaning imo.

    Question to the black people here.

    When I grew up in Norway in the 90s, people refered to blacks as "Neger", "Negro" in English. Some years later, we had to stop use that because of what, is my question? Did it just suddenly start to offend or have it offended you all along? Im just courious here... I mean, child books refered to black's as "Neger". However the word "Nigger" has been a big no-no all my life.

    Norwegian dictionary from 2007 on the word "Neger" - Person belonging to, or originally come from nations with black or dark brown complexion. | <can be perceived as offensive> was added to it in 2004.

    So my question is really, have it offended you all along? or did someone during the 90s found out it might be offensive to someone?

    I have recently started to belive that "white-knights" really is the first ones to scream racism, or any other thing that might have offended someone, I may be wrong, but it sometimes really feel likte that is the case.

    A fitting quote from Tyrion Lannister <Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.> Be it black, gay, white, fat, bald or whatever. IMO we just need to stop be offended. If the bully dont offend you, his mission has failed.
    Being black, I would not be offended if the word is used in books, but I do live in the USA so I don't really know the situation or how it got taken out. Or even if the word was used to talk about a group of people. On the otherhand, unless you're using the word to describe me, I wouldn't like to be just called "Hey negro" or "Hey neger" just as I wouldn't call other races "Hey whitey" or something similiar. I wouldn't be offended by it, would just think it was impolite. Describing me by those words is no problem but to just be called it during conversations is weird. Would hope people would try to get to know me by my name. Of course, I might laugh about it with friends and stuff.

    The world "nigger" and "nigga" has also been a big no-no to me also. I hope people would understand not all black people actually use the word. What you see on tv with rappers, comedians, etc. is not exactly the same of what happens in daily life. I don't use the word, my friends don't use the word, and I just wish everyone would stop using it...and I'm black....What ticks me off is when people, anybody, freely wishes to use the word just cause they see the people on tv use it. Really stupid I think....
    Last edited by GG4Eva; 2013-01-30 at 01:47 AM.

  3. #263
    Stood in the Fire Halabash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    Yes of course, we just dont scream racism all around us if it happends to us. The racism card has been tossed around in every fucking direction lately it has started to loose its meaning imo.

    Question to the black people here.

    When I grew up in Norway in the 90s, people refered to blacks as "Neger", "Negro" in English. Some years later, we had to stop use that because of what, is my question? Did it just suddenly start to offend or have it offended you all along? Im just courious here... I mean, child books refered to black's as "Neger". However the word "Nigger" has been a big no-no all my life.

    Norwegian dictionary from 2007 on the word "Neger" - Person belonging to, or originally come from nations with black or dark brown complexion. | <can be perceived as offensive> was added to it in 2004.

    So my question is really, have it offended you all along? or did someone during the 90s found out it might be offensive to someone?

    I have recently started to belive that "white-knights" really is the first ones to scream racism, or any other thing that might have offended someone, I may be wrong, but it sometimes really feel likte that is the case.

    A fitting quote from Tyrion Lannister <Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.> Be it black, gay, white, fat, bald or whatever. IMO we just need to stop be offended. If the bully dont offend you, his mission has failed.
    Great questions

    Black identity is a relatively new phenomenon. During the 60's in America, during the civil right movement, blacks were discovering that they have to take their perception into their own hands. Prior to this the description of blacks was prescribed by non blacks, so it comes across very derogatory, you have to remember that blacks have not always been recognized as human (which is a horrible fact). In light of this, the black community learned to come together to achieve some common goals and 1st among those goals was respect. So the black identity did transform from negro, to afro-american, to black and then political correctness landed on African American. I can tell you that if African Americans could self identify with countries in Africa they would. Did you know that most Africans consider African Americans to be the same as white people because their heritage is so intermingled?

    The African diaspora ranges from a barely noticeable 1% to 100% African genetic heritage, it is society that lumps people of color into this designation that is reffered to as black, and these black communities many of which are centered in urban centers and associated with low income housing and essentially a socialist existence produce a mentality that is often scoffed at by non blacks. Curiously, regardless of skin color if someone grows up in these communities to tend to sound the same and act the same and sometimes look the same. Have you ever heard non blacks refer to each other using urban community colloquialisms?

    Funny thing about racial identity, there is no such place as "Blackland" to originate the name. We use the term in our vernacular as it is an accepted remnant of our past and really is also offensive since it does nothing to truly distinguish origin. You mentioned you are Norwegian, you did not describe yourself as "white", it has more to do with being proper and showing respect to your point of origin or your family's point of origin. While the term white may not seem offensive it is the same as calling you out of your name.



    I to enjoy Tyrion but don't forget to consider the source as a Lanister his physical appearance was often overlooked because of his power. When you whip a person physically or with insults, dirty looks, or mannerisms that affect you do not trust them, they often become that image. You may be able to ignore a bully, but what we are talking about is not RAISING bullies in the 1st place.

  4. #264
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    21,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You actually think blacks created a movement for their advancement at a time when there was widespread racism and prejudice is racist? For fuck sakes it was created in the early 1900s when there was segregation, lynchings, killings of blacks for just looking at whites, but you're going to call them racist for making it?
    I'm calling Affirmative Action for exactly what it is: judging people on race alone. That's racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    No.

    Racism = Prejudice + Power.

    Prejudice against white people can exist, there is no system of institutionalized oppression against white people in place, so there is really no such thing as being racist against white people.
    Society cannot be racist against white people, because white people hold the balance of power as a whole.

    Individuals can because an individual person of any ethnicity can hold power over an individual white person, and can act against them on the basis of their ethnicity. I'm sure it's far, far less common, but it can happen, and probably does.

    Racism is not a term exclusive to a communal level. It can refer to an individual or their actions.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-01-30 at 01:49 AM.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm calling Affirmative Action for exactly what it is: judging people on race alone. That's racism.
    I hope you know affirmative action also includes gender too, not just race.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ative%20action

    an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women; also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons

    I understand if people are against affirmative action, but also don't make it one sided. Argue also about the gender side of it too.

    But I just want to ask a question to people who are against affirmative action, if affirmative action was taken away, do you believe that people would get jobs, get into colleges, etc. fairly and there would still be diversity within those acceptances? More than one worded answers would be great!
    Last edited by GG4Eva; 2013-01-30 at 01:58 AM.

  7. #267
    Stood in the Fire Zarintha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    384
    Of course it's possible. I'd bet it's not very common in most western countries compaired to racism aimed at minorities but it's gotta be there. The belief that only whites are racist is retarded. I've been lucky and never really had any problems though, but I guess that's 'cause I'm from the South Wales valleys and never really saw black people unless I went to Cardiff. First time I seen a black person in Merthyr was when I was like 14. Besides, the only people in the UK who seem to be the targets of racism at the moment are Arabs and, if you count xenophobia, Poles and Eastern Europeans. The most "racist/xenophobic" thing I've ever been called is a sheep shagger.

  8. #268
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Siverna View Post
    I hope you know affirmative action also includes gender too, not just race.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ative%20action

    an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women; also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons

    I understand if people are against affirmative action, but also don't make it one sided. Argue also about the gender side of it too.

    But I just want to ask a question to people who are against affirmative action, if affirmative action was taken away, do you believe that people would get jobs, get into colleges, etc. fairly and there would still be diversity within those acceptances? More than one worded answers would be great!
    Yes I think they would. The thought just offends me that I might be turned down a promotion because of a race/gender quota that companies have to meet.

    Shouldn't you base jobs on skills/merits/effort over color/race/anythingelse?
    Last edited by Lemonpartyfan; 2013-01-30 at 02:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I wasn't trying to assert it's comparable to the atrocities committed by the other forces. I just don't want people thinking waterboarding is equivalent to tickling.
    While I'm aware that's a position that effectively exists, it's not one I've ever espoused. If I were to make a scale of torture, however, I'd put waterboarding closer to tickling than to the things quoted that occurred in Nanking and in Unit 731.

  10. #270
    Stood in the Fire Halabash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm calling Affirmative Action for exactly what it is: judging people on race alone. That's racism.
    You clearly have limited your scope on viable business as large multinationals......open up a phone book, the white pages for business and look solely at small companies...now I want you to pay a visit to those same small "mom and pop" outfits. Tell me what % of non whites work there.

    All else being equal there is always going to be a leaning toward hiring a minority, because minorities are often under represented in the work place for large multi-nationals. If someone quits your effected by attrition if some one quits and their a woman, you have to fill it with a woman unless your last hire was a woman, if they were ethnic you'll look at the candidate pool with the skills for the job that are ethnic, if only whites apply then it is filled by a white person not much you can do there. This happens all the time (because higher level education is skewed in terms of race towards whites) and guess what....HR comes in and sees your staff has no ethnicity, which means your outfit looks like its discriminating...now what do you do? Throw a job fair get some interns do something!

    wh?.....well there is another funny little group out there that tend to be associated with large multi-nationals they are called investors. Investors don't put money into companies that carry unnecessary liability and potential bad press because of something silly like discrimination, that makes stock prices go down when that shit hits the news.

    Well Halabash how do I get a job as a white person? that is a funny question for many different reasons but the answer is easy, go for companies that have a very diverse staff, chances are, your probably going to be able to get a job on skills alone...which may or may not be tangentially related to the color of your skin and the quality of your education.

  11. #271
    Field Marshal Koa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USC.
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    Since the other thread blew up the "is being a racist really a big deal?" thread i read in that thread alot of people who claim it's impossible to be racist against white people and I as a white person find that statement pretty offencive : the black panther party wants to murder all white people and march the streets while yelling "black power!".

    What is your opinion on this?
    Pretty much the black panther party is blown out of proportion now. To answer the question yes it is possible to be racist against white people. It is a term called 'Reverse Racism'. Not sure if someone has said that term in the 14 pages and I'm too lazy to sift through all the pages so yea. Reverse Racism is pretty much racism towards the traditionally dominant racial group in that society.
    Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effects when you use the '/moo' emote.
    /moo'ing since the beginning of march 2004 in the closed World of Warcraft beta.
    Taurens>Gnomes>Trolls>Orcs>Worgens.
    Druid>Shaman>Rogue>Mage.

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    Pretty much the black panther party is blown out of proportion now. To answer the question yes it is possible to be racist against white people. It is a term called 'Reverse Racism'. Not sure if someone has said that term in the 14 pages and I'm too lazy to sift through all the pages so yea. Reverse Racism is pretty much racism towards the traditionally dominant racial group in that society.
    "Reverse racism" is a stupid term. It should just be termed "racism". All the term "reverse racism" does - apart from stating the completely obvious - is imply that it's somehow fundamentally different, when the only real difference is numbers.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-01-30 at 02:19 AM.

  13. #273
    Field Marshal Koa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USC.
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    "Reverse racism" is a stupid term. It should just be termed "racism".
    That it is but that's the term that's used in cases like this. So that was the answer to his question.
    Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effects when you use the '/moo' emote.
    /moo'ing since the beginning of march 2004 in the closed World of Warcraft beta.
    Taurens>Gnomes>Trolls>Orcs>Worgens.
    Druid>Shaman>Rogue>Mage.

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I think it's pretty apparent it's possible when you have storied of murders happening by blacks against whites "because they were white". I specifically remember a few kids killed an old guy "because he was white".

    Even if that was the ONLY case ever recorded, that's still racism.
    Theres plenty of black on white crime it's just deemed not as "news worthy"...

    See for yourself.

    http://www.newnation.org/NNN-Black-on-White.html

    Most of this doesn't even make main stream media but reverse the roles and whala Treyvon...

  15. #275
    Blademaster Saradain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    34
    Yes, it's possible. And it happens.

  16. #276
    Yeah it's possible, but racism against white people is a non-issue generally speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  17. #277
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,819
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    People who are white are still refused jobs and housing because government agencies are afraid of lawsuits from people who aren't white. We are also killed as a result of racism.

    The worst that happens in modern countries to blacks/browns is that they get their feelings hurt. Yea, I said it. Not a single black person currently living ever knew a slave. Get the fuck over it, we don't owe you anything.
    The reason there is racism against whites.

    Because clearly the oppression of those who were not white or female in the United States happened thousands of years ago and blacks/women have had the right to vote FOREVER and there's zero pay gaps at all!

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Siverna View Post
    I hope you know affirmative action also includes gender too, not just race.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ative%20action

    an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women; also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons

    I understand if people are against affirmative action, but also don't make it one sided. Argue also about the gender side of it too.

    But I just want to ask a question to people who are against affirmative action, if affirmative action was taken away, do you believe that people would get jobs, get into colleges, etc. fairly and there would still be diversity within those acceptances? More than one worded answers would be great!
    The way it should work is race shouldn't even be there. There should be no part of any application that makes you implicate your race. Because it shouldn't matter. It should all be person to person. Don't care if they are white, black, purple or green. If person a is a better applicant than person b, person a should get in.


    Awesome sig thanks to i4ni

  19. #279
    White people are not sensitive to racism ways other races mabe are.
    Last edited by MossMonster; 2013-01-30 at 02:38 AM.

  20. #280
    Bloodsail Admiral sugarlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    I am still shocked & saddened that ppl are small minded enough not only to be racist, but to actually believe that racism only = white against black.

    ANY race being abused, judged, treated as inferior or superior, based solely on ethnic or cultural basis, national, religious etc etc = racism.

    Do a little research ppl, it is certainly NOT nor has ever been simply "white vs. black" or Caucasian vs. ppl of African descent.

    No matter what form it's in, it is a horrible, stupid, prejudiced, ignorant, petty, hateful, conservative, intolerant, selfish, short-sighted small-minded tiny-penis view of the World & the ppl living their lives in it. I hope someday it will only be read about in history books. <3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •