Page 49 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    It pretty much does that though. If a company is forced to promote someone that is less experienced, and less of an overall asset because of skin color, that hurts one group of people, hurts the company, and says "You don't have to work that hard" to another group. If two people aren't held to the same standards, whats the incentive to work as hard?

This is a good and relevant article:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ction/1623487/
    Why would a company be forced to promote someone that is less experienced and less of an overall asset because of skin color? What are you are doing is assuming that everyone that maybe got in because of AA has less experienced and is less of an overall asset. So because they are not white we must automatically assume they are not as a good of a worker.

Or we can not be ignorant and use an example were both people are both good workers and the only difference is race.

As for your article the girl is suing on the belief that she was not chosen because she was white. Not because she found out she was but that she has the belief that her qualification are better than most of the non-whites that are in the school.

And while they do use AA for the most part they what sounds like a fair plan.

The school uses a "Top 10 Percent" plan, through which students in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes are automatically admitted to the state university of their choice. That has helped schools boost racial diversity, primarily because most of the state's public high schools are segregated by race and ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Why would a company be forced to promote someone that is less experienced and less of an overall asset because of skin color? What are you are doing is assuming that everyone that maybe got in because of AA has less experienced and is less of an overall asset. So because they are not white we must automatically assume they are not as a good of a worker.

Or we can not be ignorant and use an example were both people are both good workers and the only difference is race.

As for your article the girl is suing on the belief that she was not chosen because she was white. Not because she found out she was but that she has the belief that her qualification are better than most of the non-whites that are in the school.

And while they do use AA for the most part they what sounds like a fair plan.
    The quote you posted isn't the only way they select students. And no, I didn't state non-white workers are automatically worse than the white ones. The fact is, this does happen, and shouldn't. Race just plain shouldn't be a deciding factor, I don't care if that helps whites or blacks more.

They are forced because they must do so in the name of "diversity." The same thing is happening right now in the NFL. (Or possibly about to happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The quote you posted isn't the only way they select students. And no, I didn't state non-white workers are automatically worse than the white ones. The fact is, this does happen, and shouldn't. Race just plain shouldn't be a deciding factor, I don't care if that helps whites or blacks more.

They are forced because they must do so in the name of "diversity." The same thing is happening right now in the NFL. (Or possibly about to happen)
    What do you do about the fact that RACE IS A DECIDING FACTOR, for people that hire others? With or without AA. WHITE MALES are preferred over women and minorities.

Black Unemployment in 1972: 11.2%
    Black Unemployment in 2012: 14%

Clearly Affirmative Action is helping.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post

I'm not really a fan of affirmative action, but this is a really dumb comparison to make because those numbers say nothing about about the state of the economy at all, or about population growths, which both can affect those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I heard when you don't want to look like a complete idiot, you make broad comparisons without taking in to account various important factors.

Err, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Sorry, but this is an incredibly dumb topic. Of COURSE it's possible to be racist to white people.
    the point is to get a bunch of bitter white kids to post dumb shit about how it's not fair/ give racist replies?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Come live in South Africa where you need to get a BEE certificate (Black Economic Equity) each year.

Only BEE companies with a high enough rating are allowed to tender for most big business deals or do business with big financial institutions.

Same applies to charities - you will get no tax deduction unless you donate to ONLY 100% black-owned and beneficiary charities.

Also to scholarships - black people get first preference.

It is getting more and more difficult for a white man to get work - even if very qualified. An employer who is trying to keep their BEE rating is forced to offer the job to a black or Chinese person - Chinese are "honourary black people" in South Africa due to them being a big trading partner.
    Gee how ironic since you had the law of Apartheid for almost 50 years and the colonialization before that? Two wrongs do not make a right and more to here in the U.S. I think that is why the crusty old white man is afraid of the minority populations specifically black and hispanic. They know they have been doing them wrong since the start of this country and are afraid eventually they will become the minority and repercussions will happen.

As for you in South Africa and other countries yeah racism can happen to any ethnic group in a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Gee how ironic since you had the law of Apartheid for almost 50 years and the colonialization before that? Two wrongs do not make a right and more to here in the U.S. I think that is why the crusty old white man is afraid of the minority populations specifically black and hispanic. They know they have been doing them wrong since the start of this country and are afraid eventually they will become the minority and repercussions will happen.

As for you in South Africa and other countries yeah racism can happen to any ethnic group in a country.
    I never got racism to Africans in South Africa. YOU ARE IN AFRICA!!!! You would expect it would be the other way around......

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm not really a fan of affirmative action, but this is a really dumb comparison to make because those numbers say nothing about about the state of the economy at all, or about population growths, which both can affect those numbers.
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.

So I guess we're just going to ignore one of the biggest economical depressions worldwide and the slow slow recovery that is still underway? Seems like a good plan.

Unemployment percentages are always a few % off. You have to subtract the 5% not even trying to get a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I get discriminated daily...all the finely chiseled jaw line of an british actor. I hate being singled out by these sick fucks.

Then you'll "love" that how since the late 1980's the total college enrollment of students of color has increased by 57.2%, and the number of degrees earned by Native Americans rose 151.9% between 1981 and 2001. Or we could look at how in 1995 when it was outlawed at the University of Texas, the number of black students dropped from 65% to 11% in a single year.

http://www.bamn.com/affirmative-acti...tion-the-facts

OR how UC-Berkeley admitted 61% fewer minorities in 1998, which was the year the state first implemented its ban on affirmative action at the undergraduate level. Where 800 black and other minority students with grade point averages of 4.0 and SAT scores of at least 1200 were denied admission to the 1998 freshman class.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/citycou...0Item%2013.pdf
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-02-02 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    We do, actually. The reason being the the effects of enslavement are still present, as seen in the poor socioeconomic conditions of a large portion of the black community. This is the reason for affirmative action, to try and break the cycle of poverty.
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! Sounds rather ridiculous to me. I am a colored person. I do not need hand outs nor affirmative action. My actions have spoken for themselves and I was able to rise on my own. Affirmative action itself is racist. Not towards white people but towards all the colored people. It cripples their ability to rise on their own and become truly qualified for the positions they want. Racism is racism. It happens and not one ethnic origin has been spared from slavery. Is it a problem? Of course it is and a rather big one as well.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! .
    WHOA DID YOU JUST IGNORE THE SHIT OUT OF THE POST ABOVE YOURS?!!!!! Dude seriously...

OR how UC-Berkeley admitted 61% fewer minorities in 1998, which was the year the state first implemented its ban on affirmative action at the undergraduate level. Where 800 black and other minority students with grade point averages of 4.0 and SAT scores of at least 1200 were denied admission to the 1998 freshman class.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! Sounds rather ridiculous to me. I am a colored person. I do not need hand outs nor affirmative action. My actions have spoken for themselves and I was able to rise on my own. Affirmative action itself is racist. Not towards white people but towards all the colored people. It cripples their ability to rise on their own and become truly qualified for the positions they want. Racism is racism. It happens and not one ethnic origin has been spared from slavery. Is it a problem? Of course it is and a rather big one as well.
    Something about this post just screams "white pretender". I can't quite put my finger on it....but something just screams "outdated lingo that ignorant white people are known for using in this day and age."

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Something about this post just screams "white pretender". I can't quite put my finger on it....but something just screams "outdated lingo that white people are known for using in this day and age."
    Yeah seriously... I don't go around saying "I'm a coloured."

10+ Year Old Account
    Casual racism is the best racism, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is a little bit racist, yes that means you and me. As a white English male some percive that i may have a 'privilege' or 'White privilege', that is complete and utter crap and is racist to boot. I could do with some 'privilege' about now tbh, but i won't get it. I'm disillusioned with the way the UK government goes about racism too, but thats too long a story to list.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe