Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Push-up + Pullup + legs workout routine

Hey guys, I'm looking for a pretty good routine on these bodyweight exercises. I want to increase my reps. Ya know, do more push ups/pullups, increase my strength and gain a little muscle mass as well. I also want to incorporate a good leg workout in my routine.

As for abs, I'll be doing the P90 ab ripper workout. For me, that is a great ab workout and I useto do that when I worked out before, awesome results.

I would do the P90 workouts but I don't have dumbbells, just a pair of perfect pushup bars and a pullup bar.

Thought I should add, I'm 5'11 and weigh 185 lbs. I'm not looking to get lean, just get stronger and more defined. I'm lean enough as is lol.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2013-01-29 at 03:43 PM.

Pay a gym membership you wont get far with bodyweight exercises and if you want to do a leg workout you have to squat and i dont think you got a big barbel or a squat rack at your home.

Look on the internet for information
    Look on youtube.
    Get a diet
    Get a real workout routine

jest my 2 cents

this is jest my 2 cents but i dont need to go anywhere to work out when i joined the army we did are time with no weight at most like a ruck or m16 thats like 35 to 8 pounds i ran a saw for a wile if u want work out try diff groups of muscles like inverted pushups or doin a deck of cards squat like put one down 10 times then pick one up move to the next and drop it then pick them both up one at a time then when your legs are burning work upper man i lost a lot of fat in basic and gain great defaniton went after high school and got fat working and went in at 250 and then was down to 220 214 in there put back on my 32 inch wast pants agen lol its kinda funny 511 with 32 inch waste lol well any way u can put on the muscle u want jest figger out what u want to do use your pull up bar with a pully u can get at harber frieght for like 5 bucks and rope and in that get some milk jugs put sand or somthing in there and u have your pull downs go nuts man anything u can think of dont have to spend much cash lol the army dont u dont have to eather

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbeaverlol View Post
    Pay a gym membership you wont get far with bodyweight exercises and if you want to do a leg workout you have to squat and i dont think you got a big barbel or a squat rack at your home.

Look on youtube.
    Get a diet
    Can't join a gym, no money
    You can go hella far with body weight workouts. Pushups and pullups are still amazing workouts.
    I'm not going for big mass anyway, I just want to get into a better overall fitness, and I'm aiming for endurance anyway. I've looked online a bit, the only decent thing I've found is the armstrong pullup routine.

Monkey jack tabatas. All you need is a timer.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't afford the gym, there's always Youtube. You can get plenty of ideas for bodyweight workouts on there.

Alternatively, this is a decent book on bodyweight exercises:

You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises

Some of the modifications and exercises he suggests are a bit impractical, but you'll still get good ideas for different bodyweight exercises you can do, as well as ways to make them easier or harder to suit you. Don't be put off by the title, or group it in with some of the books that go on about special ops/navy seals training in a bid to make you buy it. This one is actually quite good.

Also, regarding the Armstrong Pullup routine - that definitely does work. But I would not recommend it if you're just starting out, and I can totally see why people would be skeptical about it in general (you're exercising the same muscle groups five days in a row for a start, that's not allowed!).

Bodyweight exercises do work if you apply some imagination, although you'd still benefit more by adding a pair of dumbbells if you can stretch to that later on.

Learn to do pistol squats and you can just hold a heavy book to progress once you can do a set of 15 each leg fairly easily. You dont need barbell squats to work legs. Pistol squats are good enough and frankly better for proprioception. You can also do sissy squats though they tend to be bad for your knees.

As for pushups, do pushup plus's and raised legs push ups.

Pullups... frankly you dont need to do much. Change grips around and tempo. You can do mountain climbers too. Get a towel and do towel pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbeaverlol View Post

Look on youtube.
    Get a diet
    you can get pretty damn far with only bodyweight exercises, actually

as for what you can do, just remember, the prime number of reps per set for muscle gain is 8-12. if you can do more than 12, you're building endurance more than additional muscle mass.

look up such things as:

pseudo planche pushups
    wide grip pull ups
    front/back levers
    windshield wipers
    handstand pushups
    muscle-ups
    tuck and advanced tuck planche holds
    pistol squats
    Last edited by himynameisruss; 2013-01-30 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a pretty good routine on these bodyweight exercises. I want to increase my reps. Ya know, do more push ups/pullups, increase my strength and gain a little muscle mass as well. I also want to incorporate a good leg workout in my routine.

As for abs, I'll be doing the P90 ab ripper workout. For me, that is a great ab workout and I useto do that when I worked out before, awesome results.

I would do the P90 workouts but I don't have dumbbells, just a pair of perfect pushup bars and a pullup bar.

Thought I should add, I'm 5'11 and weigh 185 lbs. I'm not looking to get lean, just get stronger and more defined. I'm lean enough as is lol.

One of the things me and my family does is just do as many pull ups as possible, 30 minutes later, more pull ups, 30 minutes later do it again. You'll get really sore, but keep working at it.
    For Pushups, say you can do it in sets of 10 only. Give yourself a daily goal, and work on it. Once you can push that 10 reps to 20, you have a significant 'increase' and can even push more than that previous set goal.

For legs? You can run and do squats. You won't build mass, but you'll burn calories and work those muscles. There are tons of things that will work for your legs. And since you have p90x already, they have plenty of workouts where you don't need dumbbells. You can do those.
    I would also do the yoga to unwind and to improve flexibility and overall general health. You can get where you want by doing ab ripper x followed by yoga every other day, and throw in pullups/push ups/squats/mountain climbers/running/biking whenever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    One of the things me and my family does is just do as many pull ups as possible, 30 minutes later, more pull ups, 30 minutes later do it again. You'll get really sore, but keep working at it.
    For Pushups, say you can do it in sets of 10 only. Give yourself a daily goal, and work on it. Once you can push that 10 reps to 20, you have a significant 'increase' and can even push more than that previous set goal.

For legs? You can run and do squats. You won't build mass, but you'll burn calories and work those muscles. There are tons of things that will work for your legs. And since you have p90x already, they have plenty of workouts where you don't need dumbbells. You can do those.
    I would also do the yoga to unwind and to improve flexibility and overall general health. You can get where you want by doing ab ripper x followed by yoga every other day, and throw in pullups/push ups/squats/mountain climbers/running/biking whenever you can.
    none of that builds muscle mass after a certain point. if he wants to gain as much mass doing bodyweight as possible, he doesn't want to do "as many pull ups or push ups that he can in x time".

Quote Originally Posted by himynameisruss View Post
    none of that builds muscle mass after a certain point. if he wants to gain as much mass doing bodyweight as possible, he doesn't want to do "as many pull ups or push ups that he can in x time".
    He said he wants to increase his reps and build a "little" mass. He didn't say anything about gaining as much mass as possible with body weight workouts. He is trying to get fit and stay lean.

He said he wants to increase his reps and build a "little" mass. He didn't say anything about gaining as much mass as possible with body weight workouts. He is trying to get fit and stay lean.
    endurance doesn't build mass. what he should do is mix both endurance exercises with strength exercises.

unless you're doing hardcore bodyweight exercises such as those of olympic gymnasts, you're not going to get that much mass from bodyweight. if he wants to build a decent amount of mass doing them, he needs to not worry about doing as many push ups or pull ups during x amount of time and worry more about increase the resistance of said push ups or pull ups gradually and building a bit more mass.

not everyone wants to be ottermode.

Quote Originally Posted by himynameisruss View Post
    endurance doesn't build mass. what he should do is mix both endurance exercises with strength exercises.

unless you're doing hardcore bodyweight exercises such as those of olympic gymnasts, you're not going to get that much mass from bodyweight. if he wants to build a decent amount of mass doing them, he needs to not worry about doing as many push ups or pull ups during x amount of time and worry more about increase the resistance of said push ups or pull ups gradually and building a bit more mass.

not everyone wants to be ottermode.

His exact words: "Hey guys, I'm looking for a pretty good routine on these bodyweight exercises. I want to increase my reps. Ya know, do more push ups/pullups, increase my strength and gain a little muscle mass as well. I also want to incorporate a good leg workout in my routine. "

He basically wants the same thing I do. Which is... to not get big. For me, it's because I want to stick to the weight class I want for fighting, for him, I don't know why.
    But there is no reason to try to tell people they should get big or build more mass at all. Not everyone wants that, some people want the endurance to be able to do 100 pullups without breaking a sweat. Some people don't want to get big. Personally, I think getting a ton of muscles look horrible on the majority of people. And I don't want that for me.

No need for expensive work outs, me and the miss just try new positions get most my work out from lifting her up and stuff, also just go jogging. Keeps yeah fit and healthy i don't go to the gym and i ripped

The secret is enjoy yeah self when working out, sex / jogging works for me.

google 100 pushups, 200 situps, 200 squats and xx pullups.

basically, you do those 4 workouts 3 times a week, and the other 3 times you just go for a run. maybe couch to 5k. (c25k)

sunday is rest day.

gogo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    No need for expensive work outs, me and the miss just try new positions get most my work out from lifting her up and stuff, also just go jogging. Keeps yeah fit and healthy i don't go to the gym and i ripped

The secret is enjoy yeah self when working out, sex / jogging works for me.
    I dont think you know what ripped means. If you weigh under 170 you cannot be ripped. And that is if you are 5'5".

His exact words: "Hey guys, I'm looking for a pretty good routine on these bodyweight exercises. I want to increase my reps. Ya know, do more push ups/pullups, increase my strength and gain a little muscle mass as well. I also want to incorporate a good leg workout in my routine. "

He basically wants the same thing I do. Which is... to not get big. For me, it's because I want to stick to the weight class I want for fighting, for him, I don't know why.
    But there is no reason to try to tell people they should get big or build more mass at all. Not everyone wants that, some people want the endurance to be able to do 100 pullups without breaking a sweat. Some people don't want to get big. Personally, I think getting a ton of muscles look horrible on the majority of people. And I don't want that for me.
    don't think you quite understand what it is to be "big" when it comes to having an endurance body or a gymnastic body.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    I dont think you know what ripped means. If you weigh under 170 you cannot be ripped. And that is if you are 5'5".
    i'm 6ft 2. and i almost have an 8 pack got a full 6 the other 2 are starting to show (working on them) i must admit i do allot of work on cars and stuff also though and always lifting but its never done at gym just with things laying around old engines, the miss etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    i'm 6ft 2. and i almost have an 8 pack got a full 6 the other 2 are starting to show (working on them) i must admit i do allot of work on cars and stuff also though and always lifting but its never done at gym just with things laying around old engines, the miss etc etc
    Once again, that isn't ripped. That's skinny.

this is good info