Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post

Other than that guy that did the "macho viking vs sissy mongol" post. Because that was pretty ludicrous.
    Especially since the violent macho faction in WoW is called the Horde.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horde

10+ Year Old Account
    Xenophobia. Asian cultures have their own fantasy as well you know. And this is pretty 'fantastical'.

So no, your discomfort with it is rooted in your own perceptions of what lies in your surroundings and teachings.
    You grew up with 'western/scandinavian/local' fantasy and stories so it's what you're used to. Anything that deviates from that you're likely to trip your innate primal desire to reject what you don't think is 'right'.

I lived a bit of my young life in Asia, and despite a few things being a little themepark esque, it's mostly a nice fantasy setting.
    Fits well in world of warcraft.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    One of the reasons why people hate this current expansion is the great amount of asian references and that it doesnt "fit" in the wow universe

Northrend was based in Norse mythology, and Troll cultures are a reference of Centro American/African cultures.
    It's all the manga/anime/pokemon crap that annoys people. And maybe also because it may make some forget that China is still a ruthless dictatorship.

Plus medieval European castles and armor look way cooler (and more practical) than their Asian counterparts. ^^
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2013-01-30 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    It's all the manga/anime/pokemon crap that annoys people. And maybe also because it may make some forget that China is still a ruthless dictatorship.

Plus medieval European castles and armor look way cooler (and more practical) than their Asian counterparts. ^^
    Well yes, but it has nothing to do with its culture, I mean, using that logic, the "Black Prince" should never been here cuz "he reminds a terrorist"

Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    One of the reasons why people hate this current expansion is the great amount of asian references and that it doesnt "fit" in the wow universe

Northrend was based in Norse mythology, and Troll cultures are a reference of Centro American/African cultures.
    Other references were more "subtle". I did not even realize Central American reference in trolls until I read it in a forum.

Asian references completely "dominate" MOP and people don't see it as reference to Asian "mythology". Asian mythology is not something people would be familiar with. It looks more like reference to real life Far East. I don't like real life references in a fantasy game.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Other references were more "subtle". I did not even realize Central American reference in trolls until I read it in a forum.

Asian references completely "dominate" MOP and people don't see it as reference to Asian "mythology". Asian mythology is not something people would be familiar with. It looks more like reference to real life Far East. I don't like real life references in a fantasy game.
    The War between the Alliance and Horde, along with their new subzones are Asian Theme?

And also Asian Mythology has been around as long as Nordic when Wrath's focus was that.

C'mon. It's no different than anything else that's been in WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    The War between the Alliance and Horde, along with their new subzones are Asian Theme?

And also Asian Mythology has been around as long as Nordic when Wrath's focus was that.

C'mon. It's no different than anything else that's been in WoW.
    Thanks for the nonsensical response.

I did not say the war between alliance and horde or subzones are Asian theme.

I did not say Asian mythology has been around less than Nordic.

Don't post nonsense. Read the post before quoting and replying.

Thanks for the nonsensical response.

I did not say the war between alliance and horde or subzones are Asian theme.

I did not say Asian mythology has been around less than Nordic.

Don't post nonsense. Read the post before quoting and replying.
    I know you didn't say that. You specifically said they "dominate" MoP when the theme is in fact War.

War is not asian themed.

War is not Nordic themed.

War is Bloodshed and Tragic themed.

And my response with Nordic and all that is because the theme of Nordic culture, as in Wrath, did not even dominate that.

It was a large portion, yes, but there were a lot of other elements that made up the expansion too.

I read your post.

I gave my own.

No need to be rude just because you didn't understand what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Like tbc where there was only burning legion .. my gosh the horrors.

At least in MoP we got different races in it.. demons are just demons :P.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 05:19 PM ----------

Did you watch The big bang theory ?

Never underestimate someone's ability not to catch sarcasm.
    bazinga...
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there's some of us, like myself, that drop into a snarling rage the second anything vaguely asian is shown because of our (justifiable) absolute hatred of weaboos and japanophiles and all the shitty culture that has ever come from the modernized parts of Asia.

Seriously, weaboos, please eat a heart-shaped bag of dicks.

That said, I love MOP.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    That would be a good point if not for the fact Pandaren have existed longer then Kung Fu Panda.
    And this would be a good point except for the fact you could play every blizzard game (up to MOP of course) and have little or no knowledge of panderia.

Hell, I played WOW for years and never ran across info about it, I played all the WC games and played through TFT 2 or 3 times and never took the optional path that leads to the optional vender that allows you to use Chen. If it had not been for someone telling me about it, I doubt I would have ever seen it.

As far as I know, if you didn't read some books or missed the April Fools joke blizzard made, you would very likely know more about the gnolls and why we shouldn't take their candle than you would about pandaria.

But back to the OP.

People like what they like and I sure as hell don't fault gamers for not spending $60 on a game just to see if they like it or not. If the theme or BETA didn't sell the game to you, don't spend the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    And this would be a good point except for the fact you could play every blizzard game (up to MOP of course) and have little or no knowledge of panderia.

Hell, I played WOW for years and never ran across info about it, I played all the WC games and played through TFT 2 or 3 times and never took the optional path that leads to the optional vender that allows you to use Chen. If it had not been for someone telling me about it, I doubt I would have ever seen it.

As far as I know, if you didn't read some books or missed the April Fools joke blizzard made, you would very likely know more about the gnolls and why we shouldn't take their candle than you would about pandaria.

But back to the OP.

People like what they like and I sure as hell don't fault gamers for not spending $60 on a game just to see if they like it or not. If the theme or BETA didn't sell the game to you, don't spend the cash.
    You could play every Blizzard game up until WC3 and never hear anything about Northrend (or Kalimdor for that matter), up until WoW late in Vanilla and never be aware that Old Gods were a thing. Up until TBC you could be forgiven for thinking Outland was all red rocks with the occasional mushroom.

Also, kobolds are the ones that are fond of their candles.

Deleted
    Because they're done bad. They're done mostly stereotypical after bad chinese movies or cartoons.
    True, there are some well references, but most are done as an imitation of stereotypes. Kind of like putting a black guy who is poor, eats chicken, is a pimp and talks only swearing and not as a joke but as serious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    asian theme makes me feel less immersed. I'm more old school fantasy. But that's just me..i'm sure lots of people like it.
    Somebody has no idea what old school fantasy means and just slaps the term on every generic fantasy setting thats a butchered abomination of European cultures.

Chinese and Indian Mythology is alot more Fantasy than any piss poor attempts we have now.

DnD cookie cutter settings are medicore, anyone who purely sticks by them just enjoys mediocrity

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Because they're done bad. They're done mostly stereotypical after bad chinese movies or cartoons.
    True, there are some well references, but most are done as an imitation of stereotypes. Kind of like putting a black guy who is poor, eats chicken, is a pimp and talks only swearing and not as a joke but as serious.
    Seems you don't know your Black people.

You can't be poor and a Pimp, that shit ain't right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Yet in all fairness, MoP blends many motifs of the Asian continent together in Pandaria. Uldum is primarily based off a single nation. People in the west seem to forget how distinct and varied culture in Asia really is.

Seems fair too me.
    this

thailand and korea, same geographbic region... diff culture/architecture and influences. Thailand is more influenced by indian culture while korea has more chinese cultural influence due to history. also goes with out saying thailand is drastically diff from india and korea is drastically diff from china.

yet they are both apart of south east asia. yet they are very differnt

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

That doesn't mean it's subtle, that just means you didn't catch it. The Aztec, Mayan and Incan influences when it comes to the trolls are *extremely* obvious.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

But back to the OP.

The path is pretty much the main road. If you played through the Rexxar campaign 2 or 3 times and didn't notice it, then well.... Yeah, no comment honestly. Also, there were other Pandaren in the games. Also, Chen's Empty Keg is an ancient Vanilla quest.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Also

"People" don't like trolls.
    "People" don't like worgens.
    "People" don't like Uldum.

Yeah, I still go with Xenophobia.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Or, you know, a giagantic, barbaric, nordic savage with a horned helmet and a 10mile long beard... Yeah, that's a stereotype too, and last time I went to Northrend, I saw plenty of those.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Somebody has no idea what old school fantasy means and just slaps the term on every generic fantasy setting thats a butchered abomination of European cultures.

Chinese and Indian Mythology is alot more Fantasy than any piss poor attempts we have now.

DnD cookie cutter settings are medicore, anyone who purely sticks by them just enjoys mediocrity

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 04:53 PM ----------

Seems you don't know your Black people.

You can't be poor and a Pimp, that shit ain't right.
    Not to mention a hell of a lot older.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of the Chinese theme...

I much prefer ancient demon lords breaking down the barriers between worlds while sending armies of demonic fiends to eradicate all life on the planet or a king infused with an evil power which corrupts and reanimates legions of undead servants and stitched creations to serve in an army against humanity...to some pandas being attacked by some overgrown insects every thousand year because they need to test their strength.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Chinese theme...

I much prefer ancient demon lords breaking down the barriers between worlds while sending armies of demonic fiends to eradicate all life on the planet or a king infused with an evil power which corrupts and reanimates legions of undead servants and stitched creations to serve in an army against humanity...to some pandas being attacked by some overgrown insects every thousand year because they need to test their strength.
    So... The Sha and the Thunder King then?

Oh, and the Mantid are children of the Old Gods, so before posting nonsense, do try to get at least some of it right?