Cool So this is my First post - a vent about the new Talent system.

Hello everyone. I usually just read these forums. I don't really like to get involved with discussions because there is usually already someone who shares my opinion on something and I can just read and find stuff out. I just became motivated to make a post because of the MoP talent system. I have been playing this game since vanilla came out. I have seen all of the changes made to this game. I have taken month long breaks. I have taken a year long break. I have played a max level character in every expansion however, and raided in every expansion. I just want to say one thing. I HATE THE NEW TALENT SYSTEM. My main is now a monk. I really feel like my talents do not even really matter that much. Sure it adds a few neat abilities, but there isn't really any thing that is exciting or really awesome about the talent tree. The coolest talent I guess is the White Tiger talent from level 90. Remember that time when you got down to the last talent in a particular tree and you got a kick-ass ability that really made your spec what it is? No longer - those are just automatically given to you for choosing the spec, therefore making talents useless. I used to love trying out new combinations - want to make a destro/aff spec for pvp? You can do it! Want to make a disc/smite PVP build with a priest? Do it! Sorry, but I just really wish they wouldn't have simplified the talent system this much. I do agree that some simplifying was a good thing, but MoP just went too far with it. This is all just my personal opinion. You can flame me if you want because I'm sure someone will think that they are superior and that anyone who doesn't share their point of view is a complainer or a whiner or wrong or whatever. But who cares. I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this, since I don't have a lot of experience with the other classes talents. Do you guys agree, disagree, and why?

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense but that's just a wall of text. Try spacing stuff out to be legible.

As far as the talents go, I'm all for the new talent trees. It's almost the same as before, just in the old tree you followed a guide and only really had a choice on a couple of talents (those that didn't follow the norm were hurting their performance). Now we have maybe 1 or 2 mandatory talents but the rest are optional.

IMHO the new system is good, even if some of the talents just aren't that interesting.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-01-29 at 08:49 PM.

I'm sorry but I did not read all of that wall of text, but I can get the basics from capital words in the middle.

All I can say is suck it up or post a constructive post on the blizzard suggestion forums and hope that they take you seriously.

The problem with the old talent system is that if you were an uninformed player (and really a lot of people I run into still don't realise how important it is to gem/enchant/reforge) the talent tree was usually specced wrong, or in a way that it would avoid key abilities that Blizz had intended that spec to use to be effective.

For example before the mop change a Demonology warlock used an aoe flame aura on multiple targets very effectively but only if they specced it so it could be channeled while moving and some other benefit that was something like crits more often and costs less life to use it. But since it taxed the healer most uninformed players avoided the ability all togeather. I had a hunter friend who specced for +3% stamina instead of +10% ranged crit damage. When I showed him how to properly spec his dps increased by 25% and he was no longer getting kicked out of groups, and he didnt know this was the reason why, he just thought these people were all being jerks.

Now those bonuses which you picked and Blizz had intended for you to use will be baked right into the class. Now you can't choose incorrectly. There really wasnt as much options as you may think there was in the old talent system. You had the choice of 1-2 prime ways to set your talent tree or you choose to fail.

It was also hard to plan future expansions because there were 100 different ways stats could bounce off each other for each spec and if you are creating new content you have to keep all that in mind, it may of worked well for now but more levels means a much larger balancing act.

I like the new system, it gives me optional abilities that I can change on the fly based on the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to use paragraphs, it helps people to understand what you want to say, there are some that just won't read it if it got that structure.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think about it, its the same talent system. The only difference is that now you actually have a choice. There was no choice with the old Talent system. You pretty much were just going down the talent tree picking the necessary talents at the end. Everyone always picked the end talent, and everyone always picked the center talent which was an ability.

The new talent system is superior in just about every way possible.

I'll also note that I had sessions with everyone in my guild group to take each one aside individually and work on their spec builds, reminding them if they didnt like the results they could always change it back, and in every single case where I reworked their talent system their dps/healing/tanking abilities increased by *at least* 25%. They always kept the changes. I have not looked at a single players talent tree since the talent tree change, I haven't had too.

Are the talents important? Yes, but not so important that picking the wrong one gets your party killed. You no longer have to pick a 1.4% increase in damage, its already put there. When you think about it everything was minor % increases in an ability, a major increase in an ability they want you to use to differentiate your spec from the rest in your class, 2 abilities they want you to have and an end ability. If you choose wrong you fail. You can't have a game where a large portion of your players are choosing wrong. This causes you to get pissed that they suck (unknowingly) and they think you are a jerk for booting them.

I'm generally happy with the new talent system but that's not to say that it's anything special. I think they succeeded in removing a lot of stuff that was pretty much mandatory and pointless. Unfortunately they didn't succeed in removing right and wrong choices. It's not uncommon for a tier to have 1 PvE spell, 1 PvP spell, and 1 leveling spell. Or maybe 1 PvE spell, and 2 PvP spells etc. Bottom line is, right and wrong choices are still very much alive. Also, another gripe I have is that some tiers are just straight up BORING! Look at level 90 warrior talents for example.

So I'd like to see some tweaks made to the talent system but what I'd really like to see them focus on in the next expansion is removing so much ability bloat that all the classes have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

Quote Originally Posted by Widepanic View Post
    Hello everyone. I usually just read these forums. I don't really like to get involved with discussions because there is usually already someone who shares my opinion on something and I can just read and find stuff out. I just became motivated to make a post because of the MoP talent system. I have been playing this game since vanilla came out. I have seen all of the changes made to this game. I have taken month long breaks. I have taken a year long break. I have played a max level character in every expansion however, and raided in every expansion. I just want to say one thing. I HATE THE NEW TALENT SYSTEM. My main is now a monk. I really feel like my talents do not even really matter that much. Sure it adds a few neat abilities, but there isn't really any thing that is exciting or really awesome about the talent tree. The coolest talent I guess is the White Tiger talent from level 90. Remember that time when you got down to the last talent in a particular tree and you got a kick-ass ability that really made your spec what it is? No longer - those are just automatically given to you for choosing the spec, therefore making talents useless. I used to love trying out new combinations - want to make a destro/aff spec for pvp? You can do it! Want to make a disc/smite PVP build with a priest? Do it! Sorry, but I just really wish they wouldn't have simplified the talent system this much. I do agree that some simplifying was a good thing, but MoP just went too far with it. This is all just my personal opinion. You can flame me if you want because I'm sure someone will think that they are superior and that anyone who doesn't share their point of view is a complainer or a whiner or wrong or whatever. But who cares. I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this, since I don't have a lot of experience with the other classes talents. Do you guys agree, disagree, and why?
    Don't ever hand anything typed out like this anyone you need to impress (boss, teacher, etc.). I recommend taking a class on composing a paper at your local vocational center (or equivalent).

Everyone wants to be heard, but if you aren't clear or don't state your ideas and opinions in a way that is easy for others to digest odds are you won't be.

On the issue of the current state of the talent system I am satisfied with things as they stand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people don't realize how dumbed down & mindless the other talent system was, This new Talent system may be smaller but it atleast gives you the breathing room & room for motivement.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.