Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb GMs as Players. (Idea)

GMs... As far as we know all they do is sit on their island, go invisible, and answer tickets. Well here is my idea to get more botters and exploiters banned-

1. Two GMs are assigned to each server, one stays on the server for 8-12 hours a day. When his shift is up, the night-time GM moderates the server for 8-12 hours (They get breaks, sick days, vacations, just like you and me) When a GM is sick or on vacation, just one GM moderates the server that day... he does his shift for 8-12 hours and for the rest of the day the server is not moderated.

2. The GMs while on their shifts put on PvP gear and Queue for random battlegrounds. While they are waiting for the queue, they stay in main cities, answering tickets and moderating trade chat. In the battleground, if they see a suspicious player, they request to chat with them, if the player does not respond for the entirety of the battleground, the player gets another chat request... if after 10 minutes they continue to be unresponsive, they receive a one-day suspension for botting. After their BG ends, they take 30 minutes to answer tickets, moderate trade chat, and moderate popular areas for hackers and botters.

If you have any ideas to improve upon this, please... let me know!

If you are worried about payment, just think to yourself that Blizzard makes billions of dollars a year... trust me, they have enough to fund their employees.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-01-30 at 12:09 AM.

12 hour shifts suck, take it from a clinical laboratory technologist. I'd hate to put someone in that position.

In a perfect world, we'd have a handful of GMs per server that rotated on 8-hour shifts for the weekday GMs, and then have a set of weekend GMs as well for full coverage. I'd want them to look at more than just PvP botting-- my server had a lot of trouble this past weekend with faring bots in the Jade Forest, for example, and it took Blizzard over 24 hours to get rid of them. Having a GM present who could see what was going on would be nice.

I would love to see more GM activity in the world, but I don't think it's something Blizzard views as cost effective.

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    the only way i know to improve upon this is by taking all that take and money used to monitor and improve pvp; and instead use it to improve raid finder and answering pug-raid related tickets (if those even still exist). Or finding other alternates to pve-progression other than daily quests.

In all seriousness, Blizzard would be as likely to implement any additional monitoring systems as they would be at bringing back attunments (if that was subtle; ie: not likely at all). If they thought they needed a better system, they'd have at least made a blue about it a long time ago if not already done so.

While fantasizing about unrealistic hypotheticals, wouldn't it be cool if they did a Diablo-ode "inferno" difficulty level above "Heroic" for dungeons and raids?
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    12 hour shifts suck, take it from a clinical laboratory technologist. I'd hate to put someone in that position.

In a perfect world, we'd have a handful of GMs per server that rotated on 8-hour shifts for the weekday GMs, and then have a set of weekend GMs as well for full coverage. I'd want them to look at more than just PvP botting-- my server had a lot of trouble this past weekend with faring bots in the Jade Forest, for example, and it took Blizzard over 24 hours to get rid of them. Having a GM present who could see what was going on would be nice.

I would love to see more GM activity in the world, but I don't think it's something Blizzard views as cost effective.
    Now imagine in that 12 hour shift, you are playing your favorite video game... time flies AND you get payed for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Now imagine in that 12 hour shift, you are playing your favorite video game... time flies AND you get payed for it.
    i could hardly do two bgs in a row imagine doing like 24 in a row everyday... sounds like work to me and u cant play when on the hunt for bots
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

What with people wanting 24/7 super vision on wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    What with people wanting 24/7 super vision on wow...
    Don't act like it doesn't need it...

Deleted
    How old are you?
    Do you realize how little time they would have to actually play the game?
    They would need to do other things, called WORK, for atleast 10 of those hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    How old are you?
    Do you realize how little time they would have to actually play the game?
    They would need to do other things, called WORK, for atleast 10 of those hours.
    What do you mean by "work"? In the instance I described above, their only work would be to play and game while also moderating and answering tickets... It's their job, after all.

Deleted
    What do you mean by "work"? In the instance I described above, their only work would be to play and game while also moderating and answering tickets... It's their job, after all.
    And moderating and answering tickets would most likely takeup 10 of those 12 hours.
    Do you have any clue how insanly tired you get from working 12 hour days?
    Hence my question, how old are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    And moderating and answering tickets would most likely takeup 10 of those 12 hours.
    Do you have any clue how insanly tired you get from working 12 hour days?
    Hence my question, how old are you?
    I did say 8-12 hours, so do you think 8 hours is still extreme?

I'm not going to answer the age question, because this is about the post, not the poster.

Deleted
    I did say 8-12 hours, so do you think 8 hours is still extreme?

I'm not going to answer the age question, because this is about the post, not the poster.
    8 hours is a normal day.
    But what you dont seem to understand is that they will have no time to play the game.
    No company in the world will hire 3 people per realm to sit and play a game and get paid for it.
    Hence again my age question as you seem to have no clue and insight in the real world of work.

What's the pay?

Edit: No I need a number.

And for real, unless you're working from your house (impossible) you don't want 12 hour shifts lol, I agree. That's ridiculous.

Unless I'm making....well no. You tell me the pay lol.

Edit: Lol you want the, to answer tickets in between BG queues? So like 2-5 mins of work, 25+ minutes of playing, and repeat? And Blizzard is paying a lot since they're millionaires?
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2013-01-30 at 12:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What's the pay?

Edit: No I need a number.

And for real, unless you're working from your house (impossible) you don't want 12 hour shifts lol, I agree. That's ridiculous.

Unless I'm making....well no. You tell me the pay lol.

Edit: Lol you want the, to answer tickets in between BG queues? So like 2-5 mins of work, 25+ minutes of playing, and repeat? And Blizzard is paying a lot since they're millionaires?
    As i said, no real insight in how things realy work.

Deleted
    There should be a thread where we can vote for the worse ideas to ever come up in these forums, this is definitely top 5 material.

Deleted
    1. Two GMs are assigned to each server
    There's 605 separate WoW servers. You're asking Blizzard to hire 1,210 people just to sit and monitor servers? You do realise that as of their 2012 filings, Blizzard has 4,700 employees total? Across all subsidiaries and all game types? Again, you're asking Blizzard to hire 25% more people? You also realise of these 4,700 employees, 0 work remotely?

Next time you file a legitimate ticket, as a GM how much time they get outside of answering tickets. Generally even going for lunch is difficult enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyashley View Post
    There's 605 separate WoW servers. You're asking Blizzard to hire 1,210 people just to sit and monitor servers? You do realise that as of their 2012 filings, Blizzard has 4,700 employees total? Across all subsidiaries and all game types? Again, you're asking Blizzard to hire 25% more people? You also realise of these 4,700 employees, 0 work remotely?

Next time you file a legitimate ticket, as a GM how much time they get outside of answering tickets. Generally even going for lunch is difficult enough.
    The guy thinks Blizzard makes Billions every year and therefore money is not an issue, they can just throw it away. There's no possibility for logic.

Greetings everyone!

Thought I might just pop in here and add another voice to the thread I think it'd be pretty mindblowing if you saw what the processes look like from our side. A day in the life of a Game Master is not quite what you may expect. Now, this is going to come off as a bit of a tease because I won't really be able to go into too much specific detail - but I will share what I can.

Violations that may take place in the game, including exploitation like botting, fall into various categories. These tasks are assigned and addressed by different teams at Blizzard, depending on the issue. Though Game Masters are often seen as the face and voice of Blizzard, they are just one particular aspect of Customer Support. Please know that they are not the only team involved with upholding the policies that we have in place.

In reality, the brunt of our efforts to combat this type of exploitative behavior does not fall to them. Much of the efforts that go into these investigative processes, including the development of detection and preventative measures are in the hands of our Hacks team. They are extremely dedicated to that task and work to hunt down any and all violations which persist.

I think the thought that I wanted to leave here is that we definitely acknowledge the impact that botting and other exploitation poses for our players. The integrity of this game as well as our players' enjoyment is of the utmost importance to us. Please know that our Hacks team continues to work on these matters and looks further into developing solutions which will more effectively help us combat this problem.

/Araxom
    Last edited by Araxom; 2013-01-30 at 01:38 AM.

Hack team this is news to me!

I can't believe a thread this stupid got a Blue response.

Still, very nice of Araxom to come in here and provide some insight on the way Blizz handles this stuff.