What would you guys think about the introduction of Random Arena's?
A somewhat self-explanatory question, but let me elaborate on the specifics a bit. There would be 5 separate queue's: one for 2v2 only, one for 3v3 only, another for 5v5 only, one for all arena sizes, and one for all arena sizes that ignores all composition restraints as outlined in the next paragraph. Each size bracket would be able to be played on all existing arena maps without any major changes. The first 4 brackets would be able to mix and match players, but the last queuing bracket would only place players who queue for Random BG's without comp restrictions. Arenas would reward Honor/Conquest points at (ideally) a commensurate rate that Random BG's award those forms of currency. Queuing for randoms would a give healthy honor bonus upon a win, and queuing for a comp-independent random would award an even bigger bonus, similar to the existing bonuses offered by random BG's.
Queue's would require a role check option similar to random dungeons. 2v2 would be restricted to DPS only, 3v3 would be restricted to 2 DPS and one Healer, and 5's would be restricted to 3 DPS and 2 Healers. Depending on the ratio of Healer : DPS characters that queue at any given moment, the arenas formed would be able to shift in size formed to keep queue's as low as possible (Example: more 2v2's formed if a lot of DPS are queuing, and more 5v5's if a lot of Healers are joining). Queuing for a Random, comp-independent Arena would place you in a randomly sized arena as well.
Tank specs, honestly I don't know what to do about. In this scenario, I'd guess that the best way to allow them into this feature is to restrict them to queuing into comp-independent random arenas. In order to hold players to their word regarding which spec they will play in the arena, you would be only allowed to accept your Arena queue if you were in the correct spec. Example: I queue'd up for a healer spot in a 5v5 arena, but am running around doing dailies while I wait in my Enhancement off-spec. Boom, queue pops, I accidentally press "Enter" and am not allowed in. I change spec to Restoration, and now I am allowed to enter the Arena. Changing specs after entering would be prohibited, unless it was to change from Enhance to Elemental if I queue's up as DPS. Character.
Personally, I do not enjoy Arenas, but I cannot figure out why Random Arenas haven't already been added to the game. Currently, we have access to Random & Rated Battlegrounds as well as only Rated Arenas. Based on the amount of use that Arenas do get, I personally would imagine that adding a less structured and competitive version of the current Rated Arenas would be a profitable move on Blizzard's part. I don't know how I feel about queuing with a group either, other than to make queuing for either the comp dependent or comp independent not allow it, while still allowing party sizes of 2, 3, and 5 to queue together for their specific size arena bracket.
Now, let's examine some of the pro's and con's of this hypothetical game addition.
1. Gives players who do not wish to run battlegrounds a reliable alternate method to gear up
2. Familiarizes new players with Arenas in a low-stress and non-competitive environment
3. Fills a niche for small group casual PvP play that uses a matchmaking system.
4. Allows teams to familiarize themselves with each other and practice various strategies and compositions in a non-rated environment
5. Not a lot of developer time would be required, because most of the UI/coding already exists to make this feature a reality
1. Queue times could be long due to role requirements and not enough users
2. Tank specs have an unclear, if not downright nonexistent, role
3. Possibly reduces the number of people running BG's, lengthening those queue times
4. Developer time spent on this feature takes away from other projects
Personally, I think that the Pro's outweigh the Con's by a fairly good margin, and I support the addition of such a feature. Do you?