Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Joining the Military need advice

Shouldn't have even bothered...
    Last edited by mcbeaty; 2013-01-30 at 02:22 AM.

The Air Force seems like it would be the safest.

when i joined the navy the requirements for air force were MUCH higher than army. id imagine that that is still the case. personally id recommend the air force if you are set on joining and qualify
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

I have been having a lot of trouble even talking to a recruiter to the air force. Idk if its only where i live but when i go they are never in their office, they don't answer my phone calls or emails or even give me a call back i been waiting a week for them to contact me and still no luck. When i go to their office i am always greeted by the army recruiter and i have talk to him plenty of times and im really considering it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    when i joined the navy the requirements for air force were MUCH higher than army. id imagine that that is still the case. personally id recommend the air force if you are set on joining and qualify
    I scored 1400 on my sat and i fairly educated so im not worried about not qualifying

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we need to hear your life story? It hardly has anything to do with you wanting to join the army or air force.

Your best bet is to just talk to some professionals in both fields and come up with a decision on your own instead of having people on MMOC choose for you... Joining the army or air force is no laughing matter.
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2013-01-30 at 02:25 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Deleted
    Well you will not make a very good Officer, telling you why would get me infracted on this forum. What role are you looking at doing? We cannot advise you without specifics, do you want a combat role? Do you want to sit in front of a computer?

Your life story is not important at all, we need to know about what you want to do, not what your parents did.

First thing you should do is go talk to the recruiters and see what they have available. Your experience in the military will change drastically based not only on your branch of service, but on what job you get.... scoring high on your ASVAB will help a lot, as will the college credits you already have.

Talk to the recruiters, and see what they have available at the moment... if you're still unsure, do NOT sign anything or agree to anything until you've had a chance to think it over. I got lucky with my recruiter, but a lot of recruiters will deliberately gloss over a lot of the less pleasant aspects of military life to try and get you to join. I'm guessing you're old/experienced enough to see past a lot of the pretty talk, but still be aware of it. (My recruiter specifically told me exactly what I could expect, and thus far I haven't seen any point he's been wrong on; the things he didn't tell me about he told me up front he didn't know anything about, so even there I knew I was going in somewhat blind.)

Also, make sure you read up on marriage requirements. Once you're in, there are procedures and protocols you have to follow if you want to get married, and while they will not prevent you from getting married (except in very extreme cases), it's still better to know ahead of time.

Army/Airforce will mean you have to go to training and so you'll abandon your girlfriend and apartment, right?
    How about this: just drop apartment and girlfriend - you mentioned both as expenses, move back with parents and go to college.
    Is this not an option?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    I have been having a lot of trouble even talking to a recruiter to the air force. Idk if its only where i live but when i go they are never in their office, they don't answer my phone calls or emails or even give me a call back i been waiting a week for them to contact me and still no luck.
    Welcome to the military on that part alone. Been in the Navy for 2 years myself Although not Enlisted but as an Officer. Dad was Marine Corp for 24+years before retirement. Air Farce I mean Force would be the better option than the Army in my opinion. With any recruiter be it Navy Marine Air Force or Army you just gotta keep going at them until they get in contact with you. It took awhile for them to push my paperwork for my OCS so you just gotta show that you really want to do this with your life. The reason I say Air Force is better in my opinion is based off my friends both Officers and Enlisted in the Army and Air Force saying they love the Air Force and the Army guys/gals saying they should have thought more on the branch of service they chose. With whatever you choose hope you decide to make it a career!
    Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effects when you use the '/moo' emote.
    /moo'ing since the beginning of march 2004 in the closed World of Warcraft beta.
    Taurens>Gnomes>Trolls>Orcs>Worgens.
    Druid>Shaman>Rogue>Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been in the Air Force for 4 years, and it really is the way to go. Just do yourself a favor, and stay out of maintenance. DO NOT GO IN OPEN ANYTHING. Get yourself a guaranteed job beforehand.

I scored 1400 on my sat and i fairly educated so im not worried about not qualifying
    Since I took the SAT a long time ago, I thought "wow, that's a pretty good score". Then I remember that this isn't out of 1600 anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Well you will not make a very good Officer, telling you why would get me infracted on this forum. What role are you looking at doing? We cannot advise you without specifics, do you want a combat role? Do you want to sit in front of a computer?

Your life story is not important at all, we need to know about what you want to do, not what your parents did.
    Rich I swear you always go hard lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    The Air Force seems like it would be the safest.
    For the most part yes, but if you get into Air Combat Controller school, you might be hoofing it with SEALs.

But then, ACC is really damn hard to get into.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    That's what she said?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post

Tell me in a pm then, tell me what i need to hear instead of being afraid of some forums rules. I do whatever is needed for me to do but i would like to work in IT since i already have a degree in it.
    Last edited by mcbeaty; 2013-01-30 at 02:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    So I have been told, but I am also brutally honest. OP will not make it as an Officer, at least not without some more education.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Since I took the SAT a long time ago, I thought "wow, that's a pretty good score". Then I remember that this isn't out of 1600 anymore...
    I took the SAT in 2008 when it was 1600 but i can see that you aren't good at math or reading since you didn't read the original post and did a lil math

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    it's not? lol. i never took it. my sister got a 1470 when it was out of 1600, she scored 800 on the math. yes, sibling pride :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Tell me in a pm then, tell me what i need to heat instead of being afraid of some forums rules. I do whatever is needed for me to do but i would like to work in IT since i already have a degree in it.
    Since you asked, then I will answer. Your grammar is totally shit, even for an internet forum. An Officer will be expected to write out dozens of reports a day, one fuck up could mean miscommunication and possible lives lost. To be very honest, unless you improve drastically you will not even make it as a senior NCO.

Before any mods decide to infract me, he did ask.

I took the SAT in 2008 when it was 1600 but i can see that you aren't good at math or reading since you didn't read the original post and did a lil math
    Color me skeptical.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    it's not? lol. i never took it. my sister got a 1470 when it was out of 1600, she scored 800 on the math. yes, sibling pride :P
    Yeah, apparently they changed it to have a third section. I had a 1470 when it was out of 1600 too! I was really mad that I only got a 750 on the Math. I used to really like standardized tests and was a huge nerd, I was crushed that I didn't get a 1500.