Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    How could anybody possibly defend the guy? I know people have said it in this thread, but I have to assume anybody who actually thinks the old guy did nothing wrong would be trolling, because it's just so unreasonable to say. Maybe at least just being devil's advocates to spark a debate.

But there's nothing to debate. What this guy did was not only illegal (you cannot shoot someone for pulling up and being on your lawn or driveway), but it was immoral (you don't shoot someone because they MIGHT be violent and armed. You only shoot them if you are damn well sure they are).

Bottom line is: this old guy was wrong in what he did and should be punished accordingly. Maybe he was profiling, maybe he's just trigger happy, but he did something wrong.

That's why people are debating about gun control - because they assume that's the point you were trying to make when posting this article. They assume this because debating whether or not this guy was in the wrong is so obvious it's not even worth debate.
    Maybe his defense was the classic South Park quote: "His car was commin' right for us!" :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    The old man was obviously wrong. The point that I'm trying to make is that the problem with guns is the mentality that people have that it's fine to shoot people if you even remotely think they could do you any harm.
    Due to the fact that guns most of the cases are not used as a last resort measure but as the first resort measure. Making rate of accidents or missfire (trigger happy guys, yay!) so high. That and the lack of other normal defences, like I said before, a freakin' fence arround your property, entrance locked in front of your driveway, makes the vast majority of gun owners feel safe just because they own a gun. I think some of them don't even lock their house door, because when you have a gun for protection why take any other minor steps to protect yoursef, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    The old man was obviously wrong. The point that I'm trying to make is that the problem with guns is the mentality that people have that it's fine to shoot people if you even remotely think they could do you any harm. If you look at the posts people are making, they're saying it's understandable that he'd pull out a gun because the guy was in his property. For some reason, some people think that because this article was posted, it means that I want all guns banned forever for some reason. Given that this old man had no criminal record before that, it shows that the issue isn't as clear cut as just keeping the guns out of obviously mentally unstable people. There's this hostile/paranoid mentality that needs to go away.
    It's understandable that he'd pull a gun. It's not understandable that he'd pull the trigger. Even the most paranoid of men would shoot a warning shot in this case. I don't think anybody is actually trying to defend this old guy in what he did unless they're just trying to be antagonistic.

People are assuming your thread is about gun control simply because the only other thing your thread could be about is whether or not this guy was in the wrong, which is too obvious a question to ask. I'm just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Maybe his defense was the classic South Park quote: "His car was commin' right for us!" :P
    You would have a valid point... if South Park produced anything worth calling "classic" >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad he had a gun to protect himself, who knows what could have happened if he didn't ?

Oh, wait...

Deleted
    People are assuming your thread is about gun control simply because the only other thing your thread could be about is whether or not this guy was in the wrong, which is too obvious a question to ask. I'm just sayin'.
    Of course it is. Since with stricter gun regulations he would have not have the gun legaly, making this whole situation avoidable. And before you go on the "well he can just buy it illegal" im sure a 69 year old won't do it. And the worst thing about this whole case is, even if he gets convicted, he won't prob make it 10 years inside, while the "kid" will still be dead, making any finiancial estimate on how much the whole situation costed the state just mindblowing. As in he died young, 0 long year taxes paid, state pays for the old men prision sentance, maybe legal fee's if he is bankrupt after the whole situation. So in this situation you could say one gun costed the state/government millions of $ and they can barly do anything to stop this kind of situations in the future.

Absolute tragedy made even worse by the man refusing to take responsibility for his actions.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 04:06 PM ----------

as nightmarish as this thread is with people thinking it's okay to murder people for no other reason than paranoia I just have one question to ask you. Why would you suicide bumrush in this situation? Cause if you actually thought that there was ANY reason for you to feel threatened and in any danger you wouldn't bumrush the car that you asumed were filled to the brim with gangsters and weapons without knowing that there was no way in hell you would ever make it out alive. Instead of you know, staying in the bastion that was your house.

So unless you are extremly suicidal and just take down as many as possible with you, then it makes no sense to act that way, unless ofcourse you knew they were completly harmless and wanted to take out your aggression on someone you knew had no means of fighting back.

Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    Of course it is. Since with stricter gun regulations he would have not have the gun legaly, making this whole situation avoidable. And before you go on the "well he can just buy it illegal" im sure a 69 year old won't do it. And the worst thing about this whole case is, even if he gets convicted, he won't prob make it 10 years inside, while the "kid" will still be dead, making any finiancial estimate on how much the whole situation costed the state just mindblowing. As in he died young, 0 long year taxes paid, state pays for the old men prision sentance, maybe legal fee's if he is bankrupt after the whole situation. So in this situation you could say one gun costed the state/government millions of $ and they can barly do anything to stop this kind of situations in the future.
    Most could agree that this guy was not fit to be armed with a gun. Problem is, if we disallow him from having a gun, who is allowed to own guns?

Deleted
    Most could agree that this guy was not fit to be armed with a gun. Problem is, if we disallow him from having a gun, who is allowed to own guns?
    Problem is not only "who is allowed" but also "how and when to use a gun". If in any scanario you first action is to pull the gun, it doesn't work and you will have situations like this. If people are taught to use the gun only as a last viable option then the old man would have asked question before pulling the gun.

ps: The last part about understanding and learning is the hardest part, legislation can be voted/adopted in a fraction of time, but learning takes generations.

This wouldn't have happened in Canada cuz we would have left this old fart out on the ice floes to die ages ago.

It's like Carousel with Polar Bears.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    This wouldn't have happened in Canada cuz we would have left this old fart out on the ice floes to die ages ago.

It's like Carousel with Polar Bears.
    I like the way you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    This kind of thread always ends in gun control debate. Since we already have one of those, I'm gonna go ahead and close this. In the future, post any gun-related news in that thread.