Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is no news story about how the majority of gun owners are responsible, because it's not lurid and interesting.

    These events are the exception.
    Same old same old, yet another person is dead because guns are so prevalent in society. Would this guy be dead if the most deadly weapon the paranoid veteran had was a knife or baseball bat?

  2. #22
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here, couldn't the driver have had a seriously menacing gaze? Just imagine if he had been allowed to peel out of the mans drive-way... the property damage alone could have broken the mid to hi "hundreds of dollars". Just saying gotta protect our drive-ways people, that's something every American can get behind!
    Build a fence or something?

  3. #23
    Touche you win. - Coolkingler1

  4. #24
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Same old same old, yet another person is dead because guns are so prevalent in society. Would this guy be dead if the most deadly weapon the paranoid veteran had was a knife or baseball bat?
    I couldn't say. I'm not a prognostic, and neither are you.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Same old same old, yet another person is dead because guns are so prevalent in society. Would this guy be dead if the most deadly weapon the paranoid veteran had was a knife or baseball bat?
    Have you seen what happens when a baseball bat meets glass? Were talking some seriously dangerous shards, the driver would have been blinded at the very least.

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Touche you win. - Coolkingler1
    What do I win? A cake?

  7. #27
    Poor guy. People are such nut jobs nowadays. Not a shot at the Country itself, but it does seem to be getting really bad.

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Have you seen what happens when a baseball bat meets glass? Were talking some seriously dangerous shards, the driver would have been blinded at the very least.
    Not if he saw the man coming already and shielded his eyes. :P

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    What do I win? A cake?
    Yes, you win a cake. An E-Cake "iiiiiiii" Yay you! =D.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I couldn't say. I'm not a prognostic, and neither are you.
    You don't need to be.

  11. #31
    I am Murloc! Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    5,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is no news story about how the majority of gun owners are responsible, because it's not lurid and interesting.

    These events are the exception.
    I'm sorry, I missed the part this article had anything to do with the subject. care to point it out? from what I can see its just about some old crack pot who can't tell if the people coming to his door are lost or want to harm him, its a commentary on his stupidity, not gun ownership.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2013-01-30 at 03:29 AM.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Not if he saw the man coming already and shielded his eyes. :P
    Your bastardized logic is really starting to make me think we cant have a meaningfully drawn out debate.


    iiiiiiiii -- Grats again sir.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Have you seen what happens when a baseball bat meets glass? Were talking some seriously dangerous shards, the driver would have been blinded at the very least.
    No. just no. 69 year old paranoid enough to shoot without regard, has the power to decimate windscreen in one swoop blinding the occupant with shards of glass?

  14. #34
    Brewmaster Sykol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,272
    I'd hate to be the poor kid that knocked a fly ball into that guy's yard.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Not if he saw the man coming already and shielded his eyes. :P
    I just can't understand how the old man couldn't differentiate between the car moving forwards or backwards, since when the victim was accelerating backwards as quickly as possible, the old man thought that he was actually moving forward...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Offtopic:

    Biske, I like your signature, have vs of
    Lol, thanks. It just bothers the crap out of me.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggid View Post
    Your bastardized logic is really starting to make me think we cant have a meaningfully drawn out debate.


    iiiiiiiii -- Grats again sir.
    Why?

    It's true!

    I would close my eyes if I saw the man about to take a swing.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    obviously property > average person from the human populace
    Yes. Exactly. Because my property = represents the TIME I invested in obtaining said item. My TV took 16 hours of my life to obtain. Those 16 hours of my life, the life of a hard working - law abiding citizen are worth far more the the LIFE of some scum bag who does nothing but take from society. Fun fact; the state where I live, since my property is zoned A-1 agricultural, I'm legally allowed to kill ANYONE, yes even girl scouts, who step foot on my property for any reason after dark. Guess how many times this has happened in the past 100 years..?

    Now, we all know that this isn't the case in this instance. This is simply a case of a nut-job getting scared / over-reacting.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

  19. #39
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    I'm sorry, I missed the part this article had anything to do with the subject. care to point it out?
    The only reason this news story is getting attention is because of the recent flare up in the gun debate.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I just can't understand how the old man couldn't differentiate between the car moving forwards or backwards, since when the victim was accelerating backwards as quickly as possible, the old man thought that he was actually moving forward...
    Maybe he was actually looking at some elaborate tricked out mirror set up?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Why?

    It's true!

    I would close my eyes if I saw the man about to take a swing.
    Thats why you won another cake, because that is true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •