Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Have the anti gun people not jerked each other off enough already?

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Anakso; 2013-01-30 at 09:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uschlol View Post
    Obviously you haven't read it.....
    I don't understand....are you saying I don't understand guns cars etc?
    They're saying comparing a gun to a car is asinine.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Obviously you haven't read it.....
    I don't understand....are you saying I don't understand guns cars etc?
    I have read it, actually, I just don't think that a fictional work is reality. Just because the book is popular doesn't mean it represents what would happen.

And yeah, I'm saying you don't understand those things because you think that a candle is as dangerous as a gun. If you think the maximum amount of damage potential that something has represents how dangerous it is then you must think that everything is equally dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Or a candle, etc.

It's times like this when I'm a little ashamed to be an American.

I seriously don't have anything to say to this. This is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    You say this, but I see hypotheticals all over the place. "What if guns were illegal?" "What if he only had a baseball bat?" "What if they WERE there to rob him?"
    hypotheticals are still useless, what do they do in the real world? nothing.

I don't pretend to know the whole story based off that small article. Nobody should. I will say that if somebody fires a gun into the air and tells me to get the hell out of there, my next step would certainly not be to roll down the window. There are a couple things about the story I don't understand, which makes me think that isn't the whole story. On the other side of the fence, if there were 4 teenage gangbangers there to rob a 70 year old man, he needs a firearm to defend himself. He wouldn't be able to do it with a baseball bat.
    if i rolled up to someones house thinking it was a friends and some asshole comes out yelling at me and telling me to leave and then shooting off a warning shot before i could even say wrong house we'll leave now. and i had the chance to tell him how i really feel i would have. that man had NO reason to do what he did. and to the last point that's what the fucking police are for....robbers may have guns but the last thing they want to add to armed robbery is second degree murder. i see no reason to defend this man... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Of course it would affect you. It makes it justifiable for people to kill you if everyone acts like the old man.
    Well me and some others not caring that a guy was murdered doesn't mean the police/DA wont be doing their jobs. They're still going to look into this crime regardless of what I or some other random people think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Have the anti gun people not jerked each other off enough already?
    Nope get used to it because it's not going away till they get some watered down retarded laws that do next to nothing passed. Then they'll coin it as some major step forward, while leaving the underlying causes of most gun related crimes untouched.

Then they'll coin it as some major step forward, while leaving the under lying causes of most gun related crimes untouched.
    Such as?

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    32000 people died in US from cars alone. 600ish people died from accidental shooting in the entire US, and another 11,000 from homocides. Maybe we should ban cars as they seem to kill more people than guns
    Last edited by Uschlol; 2013-01-30 at 06:21 AM.

This is how I see the country slowly coming too with increased access to guns. While I know by far there are more responsible gun owners than non responsible ones, I just see this turning into the new Romeo & Juliet movie with Leonardo DiCaprio, where things just continue to escalate because no one's smart enough to say "Oh hey...this was all a big misunderstanding!" What we have here is....failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Such as?

10char
    Poverty. Most of the gun crimes are happening in major urban areas that are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I have read it, actually, I just don't think that a fictional work is reality. Just because the book is popular doesn't mean it represents what would happen.

And yeah, I'm saying you don't understand those things because you think that a candle is as dangerous as a gun. If you think the maximum amount of damage potential that something has represents how dangerous it is then you must think that everything is equally dangerous.

Or a candle, etc.
    It's about potentials, so yes a box of matches has the same killing power as 30rnd magazine. 230 something people died in brazil recently from a nightclub fire.

Maybe we should ban fire

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Poverty. Most of the gun crimes are happening in major urban areas that are poor.
    and what isnt caused by poverty is usually caused by stupidity. Exceptions is mass murders, which are neither caused by poverty nor stupidity (by the gun user anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Socio-economic issues.

How do we 'solve poverty?' I'm just curious.

32000 people died in Texas from cars alone. At least half due to drunk driving. 600ish people died from accidental shooting in the entire US, and another 11,000 from homocides. Maybe we should ban cars as they seem to kill more people than guns
    How often do people use their cars? How often do people use their guns? What are cars designed to do? What are guns designed to do?

Those are only 4 questions out of over 9000 that set them apart. If you think that comparing guns to cars is valid you aren't thinking logically.

It's about potentials, so yes a box of matches has the same killing power as 30rnd magazine. 230 something people died in brazil recently from a nightclub fire.

Maybe we should ban fire
    I can't tell if you're serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    This is how I see the country slowly coming too with increased access to guns. While I know by far there are more responsible gun owners than non responsible ones, I just see this turning into the new Romeo & Juliet movie with Leonardo DiCaprio, where things just continue to escalate because no one's smart enough to say "Oh hey...this was all a big misunderstanding!" What we have here is....failure to communicate.
    Because guns are a new invention. And Americans owning guns is a new comcept.

How often do people use their cars? How often do people use their guns? What are cars designed to do? What are guns designed to do?

Those are only 4 questions out of over 9000 that set them apart. If you think that comparing guns to cars is valid you aren't thinking logically.
    Yea I have him on Iggy because his numbers are always wrong, he never sources his statements, and he gets extremely offended if you call him on it. It isn't worth wasting my time discussing with him.

I can't tell if you're serious.
    Guns don't kill people anymore than cars do. It's the people behind both

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Yea I have him on Iggy because his numbers are always wrong, he never sources his statements, and he gets extremely offended if you call him on it. It isn't worth wasting my time discussing with him.
    My numbers weren't for Texas, but for the us. My mistake, I changed it in the op

Guns don't kill people anymore than cars do. It's the people behind both
    Way to give a cop out answer that fails to address the point.

Way to give a cop out answer that fails to address the point.
    Guns never should have been the point. The man is to blame.

And to be honest they are nearly a perfect comparison

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    In that situation, the chances of the guy's purpose in rolling down his window being taking a shot at the homeowner as he drives away are more than enough to justify firing. I see no issue here. Do not go onto someone else’s property at night and do anything that might be in any way be construed as a threatening or potentially aggressive action otherwise shooting you is entirely justified.
    When one of the pro-gun arguments is that gun related deaths in the US are a small fraction of the total deaths each year you can not then use the argument that he was threatened by a gun. Can't have your cake and eat it too.