Page 1 of 12
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993

    Where WoW went wrong

    "Back during the first years of the game, commitment, friendship and determination were the dominating themes, but as it developed, things started changing rapidly and old school players started feeling disconnected from what they used to enjoy. Things became too easy and little by little social interaction merely became a choice. With the arrival of the automatic 'Looking for Group/raid' tool, all a player had to do in order to achieve better gear, achievements, levels and such was to click a button. Back in the day you would have to interact personally with each player to find what you were searching for in order to set up a successful group. Due to the 'enclosed' community of your server, you would automatically start befriending people you crossed paths with, whether it was through PVE or PVP. In the picture you get a feeling of how the game has changed from a place of group effort and friendship to a community that is more focused on the individual user." - Bonewrench

    I cannot take credit for this, saw it on reddit and it said what I think anyone that has played this game this long has thought for some time.

    Link to the picture referenced http://i.imgur.com/sPLBsw3.jpg?1

  2. #2
    Bloodsail Admiral Mortisia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Same country as Radek Zelenka
    Posts
    1,172
    Vanilla server = big family, now = bunch of strangers.

    "Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Nemah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central US
    Posts
    662
    Here's a fresh, new topic that's never been covered before.

  4. #4
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,567
    I dont know wrong. Its bit subjective sometimes.

    Playerbase shifted too much. Back in vanilla I used to adventure by foot, not even mount, from wetlands to IF. Saw bunch of leveling gnomes on my way and asked in say "where is ironforge" and they said where it is and even walked the way with me.

    Now it just seems super streamlined, playerbase being majorly different from those times and a bit too much automation for me. Challenge modes meant to fix LFD "problems" or outcries but that didnt work well enough.

    Also man, those colors
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  5. #5
    I agree that back then my server (at least) had a nicer/better community. However, no one enjoyed the 45 min search for that tank or healer or particular CCing dps class.

    Looking for Group was a much desired (and I dare say needed) tool. I'd rather that it prioritized finding people from your realm over other realms when it first came out (seems like it does so now, or I'm just randoming into 2-3 other people from my server time after time).

  6. #6
    So now we can just make a thread out of anything we see? Why should we care about that guy's opinion? Who is that guy to us?

  7. #7
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Here's a fresh, new topic that's never been covered before.
    Kinda like your useless post?


    OT:

    The community really went down hill with lfg and things like that.

  8. #8
    lol... no

    Vanilla server... Barrens Chat... useless discussions on /2, people that hated each other, some friends, some guilds that endured alot, others that broken because of how the game worked at that time...

    It was FAR from this perfect world some people like to paint.
    In fact, community is far extended now, with REAL ID, cross realm, LFR and LFG...

    People that think LFG and LFR is different are just insane.
    All dungeon runs at vanilla was... 15min to 2 or 3 hours of spamming on capital, then go to the place, with clueless people, when no one even knew their own skills, and what they were supposed to do, and wipe on drak'sath over and over again because you NEEDED a kitting class that knew how to kite, because no group could ever do it any other way because people were new to the game.

    Everything was hard... many classes useless, only received spots because it was 40-man, there was no dps rushes, and gear from those classes dropped.
    PvP was a joke, rogues could kill anyone 1v1 naked with only a blue dagger on MH...

    When bg`s appeared they were and endless and brainless farm of HK... skill didnt matter, only the amount of hours you could stand doing it over and over again...

    There was nothing that improved community by that time, on the contrary most of the players were completly excluded from any knowledge about the game!
    Some people entered the circle of the raiders of a server, but the majority never received an epic drop, and would stop playing without ever seen ragnaros...

    People that was in those circles, when it was more a matter of luck, and being social, then being good at the game, because frankly everyone was really bad, like to look at those times and think that it was way better, when it was the complete opposite for the majority of the players...

    So no... i disagree, vanilla was really worse community wise.

  9. #9
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    So now we can just make a thread out of anything we see? Why should we care about that guy's opinion? Who is that guy to us?
    "You must be this tall to have opinion at all"

    How about no
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    The community really went down hill with lfg and things like that.
    But the truth is, it didn't. If you could consider the community went down then it was when WoW got bigger. You can't blame a feature for a bad community in a MMO that has millions of players.

  11. #11
    it's like moving from a tiny village school where there are a handful of you to a secondary school where there are thousands. get used to it, you cannot go back to the safety of a handful of other people in the game.

  12. #12
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    So now we can just make a thread out of anything we see?
    Does it break the rules? no

    Is it about wow? Yes

    Looks like we can

    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why should we care about that guy's opinion? Who is that guy to us?
    He shares the same opinion as others.

  13. #13
    Where opinions were expressed on the internet*

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Does it break the rules? no

    Is it about wow? Yes

    Looks like we can
    Yet repeating threads are not welcomed.

  15. #15
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    But the truth is, it didn't. If you could consider the community went down then it was when WoW got bigger. You can't blame a feature for a bad community in a MMO that has millions of players.
    it went down hill when people could be a bag of dicks and not be held responsible for thier actions.

    LFD, LFR, CRZ, Random bgs all made this easier

    Also the lack of enforcement of blizzards own rules and the new ticket system

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Yet repeating threads are not welcomed.
    Its a repost? news to me. Also Last I checked it was the mmo-champion forums not the Pebrocks The Warlock forums or Philip the warlock forums

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    it went down hill when people could be a bag of dicks and not be held responsible for thier actions.

    LFD, LFR, CRZ, Random bgs all made this easier

    Also the lack of enforcement of blizzards own rules and the new ticket system
    People have always been able to be dicks in game. Stop trying to point blame to something you don't like.

  17. #17
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    People have always been able to be dicks in game. Stop trying to point blame to something you don't like.
    People could always be dicks in game but they were stuck with other dicks. Stop acting like reputation did not matter before WOTLK.

    For the record I did like LFG, LFR and random bgs but I am not going to deny it.

  18. #18
    That is an opinion. Mine differs. I played another mmo before wow. I remember the hours of manually putting together groups, and hours spent running on video game foot to get to camp sites so I could get xp. I remember when finding a group was so precious that you carried several levels of gear, spells, and consumables with you because you couldn't afford to leave a group once you were in it.

    Those games still exist to some degree or another. They tend to have smaller populations and fewer servers. I'm sure they have room for anybody who truly longs for those times.

    As for me, no thanks. I do remember enjoying some of my guilds more ten years ago. I also remember putting people on ignore back then as well. The game hasn't changed that much. I still have the option to develop positive relationships with other players. I just don't have to spend time idling while I wait for a group to have all the magical elements to mean I could maybe do a few hours of xp or endgame content.

    People don't want to pay subs for content they "might" get to see some time. Not because it is difficult, but because the grouping aspect becomes a mini-game of acceptance and rejection based on superficial factors.

    I agree that if everyone believed as I do that it's ok to go for content at minimal gear levels and be willing to coordinate and keep trying even through dying, that would be fun. I don't think that it's for everybody, and I am not interested in always being preached to about how if I don't always play that way I am somehow less of a human being.

    If you find that your interests have moved on, that's cool. If you feel the need to say that the game has gone wrong, you may be suspect. The game still manages millions of active players every day for almost a decade with no sign of slowing down. It's crazy. A phenomenon even.

    Yet these threads keep popping up like a drunk boy at a party who can't get over his ex. He just won't stop talking about the "mistakes" she is making when it is clear that whoever is ex is, she has clearly moved on and is doing fine.

  19. #19
    WoW's community always kinda sucked; I think most people are misremembering the good old days with their first guild and mistaking that as the community in general. People were always rude, vulgar and selfish asshats. LFD and LFR just meant we could share those douches with the world.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    People could always be dicks in game but they were stuck with other dicks. Stop acting like reputation did not matter before WOTLK
    So now you admit people could always be dicks, and trying to pull in "reputation" as the reason. Man Mitt anything you want to flop?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •