Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post
    1. Wrong it does work. Talk to some one who has gotten a ban from a language report.
    2. A harassment report is not a right click report it is a ticket report. Which Defiantly work.
    3. It's exactly that "I can't make a difference so ill do nothing but whine" attitude that I am talking about. you don't even TRY to fight the jerks with the tools blizzard has given you.
    Wise monk says:
    Do nothing and nothing will happen, grasshopper.
    1. Takes many reports for a gm to even look at it.
    2. File a harassment report they tell you to add the player on ignore and use the right click report
    3. The tools seem ineffective used them allot when I played.

Wiser monk said:

"Money tree talks and bullshit rums marathon."

i found a great guild with great people, they're my wonderful community and everything in the game supports this for us. i dont need an entire server for this neighbourhood feel that rarely exists in real life anymore in the world (except pockets that dont count for the vast majority but still kudo's to them).

Wow has changed like the world has since ages past. Oddly enough its almost like its a simulation of the same events.

but hey, people will always behave like people no matter the medium, so we should be surprised when things work out the same way in different mediums of interaction. human nature

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Here's a fresh, new topic that's never been covered before.
    It's a legitimate complaint. People want a sense of community in the game and Blizzard's design changes have been undermining that. The problem isn't going to go away if you just forbid people from discussing it.

It's different for me, when I first started in BC I talked to less people than I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    That is an opinion. Mine differs. I played another mmo before wow. I remember the hours of manually putting together groups, and hours spent running on video game foot to get to camp sites so I could get xp. I remember when finding a group was so precious that you carried several levels of gear, spells, and consumables with you because you couldn't afford to leave a group once you were in it.
    Lemme guess, FFXI? Where you pretty much had to be in a group for everything. Leveling solo? Slower than a snail.

I switched to WoW because I could play for shorter periods of time and still get something done. As the demands of life increased, my continuous playtime decreased, making progress in a game like FFXI impossible. Though I liked the challenge, sometimes we don't have hours for groups (finding them and participating in them).

But then again, even Vanilla WoW was far, far more accessible than FFXI ever was. So I can't really compare it, Vanilla was good enough for me after what I came out of.

I've a feeling the older days teached people how to play and grow.

Now a days i get people asking 'wheres molten core?' - 'lol wheres karazhan and deadwind pass''

Mage at 88' 'whats time warp?''
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

The game changed. I started in late 2006, first as a human priest to heal, then rerolled an orc warrior to appease my horde loving brother who joined the game a few months later and he rolled a troll priest. Together, we had the ability to make a group whenever we wanted because we only needed 3 DPS. I learned early on that I preferred rogues and mages and didn't like ret pallies and huntards in my lowbie runs in places like RFK and BFD. We even pulled off getting people to come to gnomer with us on the horde side by me and my brother both have the quest item to use the transporter in Booty Bay and then using the summoning stone. This was back before any XP nerfs so it was months of leveling before we even got to see Outland. Every zone had to be visited after level 20 to find enough quests and I kinda like the format of having to explore the world fully to get to the end.

When we got to outland is about where we started to use CC in our runs and anybody who joined the group back in those days, knew how to do it. Though some mages wanted to sheep pull, not knowing that a warrior with no rage would have a difficult time picking up the rest of the group. We met a rogue during our leveling process in STV and he was our pocket rogue for all our dungeons and we are still friends with him till this day. I enjoyed being the tank and marking the mobs. Skull as first target, x as second or off tank, moon for sheep, diamond for sap (some people used star), blue square for ice trap (and many hunters sucked at this but once in awhile, you'd meet a good hunter). I remember warriors being incredibly painful to level back in the day, compared to my shadow priest I made prior.

Most of my real ID friends now are people I met back in BC. Because back then, leveling was slow and you had to quest and hit up 5 mans to get through it and you'd meet people along the way, whom usually stayed within level range of you.

But ultimately, for me, tanking was tiresome and I didn't like to do more than one dungeon at a time. I did stuff like the BC dailies and got the netherdrake since the hardcore raiding turned me off (or rather, the hardcore players turned me off). I tried to bring my own guild through Kara, but being a lax person, we got stuck on Moroes for weeks, with CC always somehow breaking and never having enough priests or hunters good enough to ice trap. The tank can only carry so much, before the others get highly tested. Later on, after the 3.0 nerfs, I could carry the scrub guild of Trained Monkeys as far as Aran before we had issues.

While there were benefits to the original setup of the game, the weaknesses came in the accessibility and the social skills (and social tolerance) necessary to conquer it. LFD was praised massively when it came out because it solved the time needed to make a group. LFR today allows me to raid without dealing with doucher guilds.

When Wrath came out, I found myself annoyed with DKs infringing on warrior territory and took a break after my guild drama'd too much in OS.

Sometimes though, I think it would be interesting if they made a server where leveling was staggered, so that full leveling and dungeoning was necessary to get through 1-60 (and I still feel 60-80 are broken at this point) and a community had to be fostered that had little to no cross realm things.

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    As for me, no thanks. I do remember enjoying some of my guilds more ten years ago. I also remember putting people on ignore back then as well. The game hasn't changed that much. I still have the option to develop positive relationships with other players. I just don't have to spend time idling while I wait for a group to have all the magical elements to mean I could maybe do a few hours of xp or endgame content.

People don't want to pay subs for content they "might" get to see some time. Not because it is difficult, but because the grouping aspect becomes a mini-game of acceptance and rejection based on superficial factors.
    So you're saying that you value the instant-gratification ethos of current WoW more than you value the intricate social fabric of previous incarnations of the game (and other games).

That is a perfectly valid opinion that you are absolutely entitled to hold, and you are brave to admit that manipulation via instant-gratification is effective on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    "Back during the first years of the game, commitment, friendship and determination were the dominating themes, but as it developed, things started changing rapidly and old school players started feeling disconnected from what they used to enjoy. Things became too easy and little by little social interaction merely became a choice. With the arrival of the automatic 'Looking for Group/raid' tool, all a player had to do in order to achieve better gear, achievements, levels and such was to click a button. Back in the day you would have to interact personally with each player to find what you were searching for in order to set up a successful group. Due to the 'enclosed' community of your server, you would automatically start befriending people you crossed paths with, whether it was through PVE or PVP. In the picture you get a feeling of how the game has changed from a place of group effort and friendship to a community that is more focused on the individual user." - Bonewrench

I cannot take credit for this, saw it on reddit and it said what I think anyone that has played this game this long has thought for some time.

Link to the picture referenced http://i.imgur.com/sPLBsw3.jpg?1
    I have played since the first week in Dec of 2004 and I can say that your rose colored glasses, and the author's, are 5 inches thick and crusted with delusion.

Calling spamming chat until a group was full "social interaction" is bizarre and disingenuous. Heck, I encountered more elitist asshats in UBRS then then I ever have in LFD/LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    "Back during the first years of the game, commitment, friendship and determination were the dominating themes, but as it developed, things started changing rapidly and old school players started feeling disconnected from what they used to enjoy. Things became too easy and little by little social interaction merely became a choice. With the arrival of the automatic 'Looking for Group/raid' tool, all a player had to do in order to achieve better gear, achievements, levels and such was to click a button. Back in the day you would have to interact personally with each player to find what you were searching for in order to set up a successful group. Due to the 'enclosed' community of your server, you would automatically start befriending people you crossed paths with, whether it was through PVE or PVP. In the picture you get a feeling of how the game has changed from a place of group effort and friendship to a community that is more focused on the individual user." - Bonewrench

I cannot take credit for this, saw it on reddit and it said what I think anyone that has played this game this long has thought for some time.

Link to the picture referenced http://i.imgur.com/sPLBsw3.jpg?1
    You do realize this was posted maybe 2 - 3 ago here on MMO-Champion and your bascially starting another post about it why not post in the original post??

Oh wait this is just another "I Hate LFG/LFR" thread again. Yet we have discussed this topic that LFG /LFR have done nothing with ruining the community as communities went to crap way before LFG was implemented.

This is a Dead Horse arguement that continues to be brought up by people and twist the words to make it look negative, cause when this picture was released its wasn't even about server communities, as it was about his friends moving on & that he has stuck around, For all we know it could 2 different pictures put together with no sigificances.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    No it didn't. It went down when they introduced arena and shortened the raiding size to 25 players.

Hey, guess what expansion THAT happened in!
    I wont deny it, the community died down around Wrath Release if I do remember atleast on my realm it did. People wanted freash starts on new Realm & a Year before LFG even mentioned by Blizzard that Mannoroth - US had already started to crumple away as alot of guilds including Nightmare's Aslyum broke up around this time and people went there seperate ways and it wasn't around the realm it was other realms.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    I have played since the first week in Dec of 2004 and I can say that your rose colored glasses, and the author's, are 5 inches thick and crusted with delusion.

Calling spamming chat until a group was full "social interaction" is bizarre and disingenuous. Heck, I encountered more elitist asshats in UBRS then then I ever have in LFD/LFR.
    I agree I did UBRS a couple times without my friends/guildies and it was horrible you always had that one or two people who wanted to control the group, ended up being the person that died all the time or pulled a pack and never pulled there weight.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-01-30 at 08:00 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortisia View Post
    Vanilla server = big family, now = bunch of strangers.
    um, no? Thats a lot of nice nostalgia clouding your vision. Servers weren't big families back then, but your small group of friends would always run with each other and do things together. Now, everyone queues alone and gabs on and on with each other on vent or guild chat/whispers and the social interaction is there, the gameplay is not. They traded convenience for quality

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how that picture could represent a lot of things. I just see it as people who either grew out of the game, found a new interest, made a family or had other reasons to leave the game.

Most of the people I've played with back in vanilla have left as well, but all due to things irl, not in game.
    If people want to re-post this image and claim it's due to community, LFR/LFD and whatnot ... I call BS.

Quoting a reddit post immediately destroys any credibility you might have had otherwise, and I would suggest a game that's still cranking along at 10 million+ subs hasn't "gone wrong", you just don't care for it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    No it didn't. It went down when they introduced arena and shortened the raiding size to 25 players.

Hey, guess what expansion THAT happened in!
    I wont deny it, the community died down around Wrath Release if I do remember atleast on my realm it did. People wanted freash starts on new Realm & a Year before LFG even mentioned by Blizzard that Mannoroth - US had already started to crumple away as alot of guilds including Nightmare's Aslyum broke up around this time and people went there seperate ways and it wasn't around the realm it was other realms.

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    It's a legitimate complaint. People want a sense of community in the game and Blizzard's design changes have been undermining that. The problem isn't going to go away if you just forbid people from discussing it.
    This is a dead horse arguement that has been brought up more than people claiming WoW is dead.

The funny part is its coming from an OP with 0 credibility on this forum.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-01-30 at 08:03 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Bullshit. Design decisions don't undermine a community, the people within it do. There is _nothing_ stopping you from forming the same tight-knit community that whatever nonsense you quoted earlier claims existed in Vanilla (hint: it didn't) except yourself and your unwillingness to go out and find new people to replace those who have moved on for whatever reason (new game, new commitments that don't let them continue playing, et cetera). To claim that all of this imaginary problem is caused by something like LFD/LFR is utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    So now you admit people could always be dicks, and trying to pull in "reputation" as the reason. Man Mitt anything you want to flop?
    A lot of early WoW's character progression was tied to group content, where it was advantageous to be able to rely upon regular groupmates. A person behaving antisocially was at a disadvantage when it came to finding persistent groups. Changes to the game removed many of these social checks and balances, which increased your likelihood of running into players who choose not to conform to social norms.

You are trying to argue against this line of reasoning? Why?

So you're saying that you value the instant-gratification ethos of current WoW more than you value the intricate social fabric of previous incarnations of the game (and other games).

That is a perfectly valid opinion that you are absolutely entitled to hold, and you are brave to admit that manipulation via instant-gratification is effective on you.
    impressive.

you have a small penis.

/afkAVmoarplzrobot

Infracted. Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-01-30 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuhandyn View Post
    Quoting a reddit post immediately destroys any credibility you might have had otherwise, and I would suggest a game that's still cranking along at 10 million+ subs hasn't "gone wrong", you just don't care for it anymore.
    Well its not that he posted a photo from reddit the picture was on MMO-Champion a couple months ago under a totally different name & topic didn't even touch the subject of LFG or community the picture just has a negative side to it and anything could be said about it for all we know it could be 2 totally different people or pictures stuck together for all we know. When it was posted it was based about his servers & all his friends that no longer play or have moved on to different servers & he has stuck around.

The OP lost credibility along time ago, this thread just shows why he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    um, no? Thats a lot of nice nostalgia clouding your vision. Servers weren't big families back then, but your small group of friends would always run with each other and do things together. Now, everyone queues alone and gabs on and on with each other on vent or guild chat/whispers and the social interaction is there, the gameplay is not. They traded convenience for quality
    I agree servers were never families, it was more like High School you had your groups/guilds and that was all.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-01-30 at 07:57 AM.

Deleted
    It Went wrong wen folks like you started posting shit on the forum.

It all started sometime back in 2007 with the hiring of a certain waste of space. This is what went wrong.