Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    What is "Path of the Titans" concept?

    I've heard about it, but I don't know what it is, can anyone fill me in ?

  2. #2
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Path_of_the_..._%28feature%29
    The system would have been tightly related to the profession of archaeology and was integrated with the glyph interface. Players would have been able to join cults dedicated to various Titans and, by following in the path of a titan, would be able to unlock a new type of glyph known as an ancient glyph, which would have been completely unrelated to the inscription profession.

    Players could earn progress down any of these paths by doing things such as questing, raiding, PvP, trade skills, etc., with a possible weekly cap for maximum progress. Over time, characters would be able to unlock new ancient glyphs that will greatly benefit them. Each path consisted of 10 ranks, with ten slots numbered from I to X; at each rank players would be presented with a selection of two to three different ancient glyphs from which to fill the slot. This system was designed to provide a 20% character-power increase over the course of the expansion and would be compatible with dual specialization.[1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Funny story, my last gf was a lot younger than me, she kept calling me a pedophile. I was like "lol that's a big word for a 6 year old."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I asked my dog how it likes to be fucked and it said, "Ruff."

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    4,609
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Path_of_the_Titans_(feature)

    It was cool, but the devs decided that it ultimately had 2 many problems i guess and merged a lot of the ideas into glyphs and talents.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk Xiphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,782
    It was another potential way to progress your character that would work alongside Archaeology and the Glyph system, as others have said above.

    Although it was scrapped, we might still see it yet. Ghostcrawler said a while ago that he still loves the idea, but wants to do it right and that it needs to be a major feature. It might be a good selling point for a future expansion, and might allow them to rework Archaeology a little too so it's not quite so uneventful.

  6. #6
    Well, in my opinion it was a bad idea, would have made a big difference between casual players and others, and it wouldn't be useful at all, i'm glad that it has been cancelled (even if i pass many many many time on the game)

  7. #7
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Well, in my opinion it was a bad idea, would have made a big difference between casual players and others, and it wouldn't be useful at all, i'm glad that it has been cancelled (even if i pass many many many time on the game)
    I honestly don't understand how "it wouldn't be useful at all" and "would have made a big difference between casual players and others" can live in the same sentence. Please clarify. If it wouldn't be useful, how would it make any difference? If it made a big difference how could it not be useful?
    A bit of civility and respect for others opinions goes a long way toward getting any respect in return. Overly hostile, profane and insulting posts are a sign that people don't really have anything to say. Profanity is best served out in very small doses.

    "Forum drama exists because people enjoy creating it." - ML/2013

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I honestly don't understand how "it wouldn't be useful at all" and "would have made a big difference between casual players and others" can live in the same sentence. Please clarify. If it wouldn't be useful, how would it make any difference? If it made a big difference how could it not be useful?
    Simply cause it's not useful to make a difference, not useful to add stats & competences to a player without any purpose.
    You are supposed to "grind" your Path of the Titans while playing on PvP & PvE, but there is some players who can't always play, and obviously, some will complete it faster.

    -Casual players will get destroyed in PvP
    -Casual players wont have any chance to enter a pick-up raid.
    -Casual players will be less effectives than others on both PvE and PvP.

  9. #9
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Soviet Union
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I honestly don't understand how "it wouldn't be useful at all" and "would have made a big difference between casual players and others" can live in the same sentence. Please clarify. If it wouldn't be useful, how would it make any difference? If it made a big difference how could it not be useful?
    It would have been just another cookiecutter thing. If everyone takes the same it would lose it's usefulness.
    That's why they removed it's sucessor, Prime Glyphs, because nearly everyone of a spec used the same 3 glyphs.

    But in the end everyone who knows their class would be exactly the same nowadays anyway, if transmogrifying didn't exist. They'll never be able to prevent people from cookiecutting their chars.

  10. #10
    People have pretty much said all there is to it. But they decied it would not make sence to have it, it should have worked part with akology, but was probaly hard to balance, and was also supust to be "partially" like glyphs, but i guess was to hard to balance, if was like 20% less damge i think i can remember i heard back before WOLK. but was probaly to powerfull to be a sekundary
    (i am 19 and dyslexic so yes i suck at spelling)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Simply cause it's not useful to make a difference, not useful to add stats & competences to a player without any purpose.
    You are supposed to "grind" your Path of the Titans while playing on PvP & PvE, but there is some players who can't always play, and obviously, some will complete it faster.

    -Casual players will get destroyed in PvP
    -Casual players wont have any chance to enter a pick-up raid.
    -Casual players will be less effectives than others on both PvE and PvP.
    Agreed.
    Tying it to Archeology is a terrible idea as it is 1> a grindy profession, 2> a secondary profession - which would then become mandatory for meaningful character progression.

    I suspect it was similar to Diablo III skill/rune system where you had multiple variants of one spell. Except that it had 'unlockable' elements. I remember an old post of GC mentioning that he liked the D3 skill/rune system.
    I also feel that the concept of MOP talent/glyph system was derived from PotT.

  12. #12
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It would have been just another cookiecutter thing. If everyone takes the same it would lose it's usefulness.
    That's why they removed it's sucessor, Prime Glyphs, because nearly everyone of a spec used the same 3 glyphs.

    But in the end everyone who knows their class would be exactly the same nowadays anyway, if transmogrifying didn't exist. They'll never be able to prevent people from cookiecutting their chars.
    Well, that's true enough although not what I got from the post I asked about. There's a ton of stuff like that in the game anyway so I suppose one more thing doesn't make much difference one way or another. What I miss about it was the opportunity to stuff lots of lore into the game. At some point I hope to see it revisited.
    A bit of civility and respect for others opinions goes a long way toward getting any respect in return. Overly hostile, profane and insulting posts are a sign that people don't really have anything to say. Profanity is best served out in very small doses.

    "Forum drama exists because people enjoy creating it." - ML/2013

  13. #13
    Warchief Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Well, that's true enough although not what I got from the post I asked about. There's a ton of stuff like that in the game anyway so I suppose one more thing doesn't make much difference one way or another. What I miss about it was the opportunity to stuff lots of lore into the game. At some point I hope to see it revisited.
    Agree.Not only was it a way to progress your character further at max level, but also provided lore and flavor of Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The non-sequitur derp is reaching critical mass...and it's not even page 2 yet.

    Talk about peaking early.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Wow....that term is a blast from the past. :P

  15. #15
    Legendary! Cybran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pripyat marshes
    Posts
    6,444
    http://www.cataclysmsecrets.com/blog...-of-the-titans



    It was something like Glyphs, but it would have required Archeology. The idea of replacing passive buffs and making talent trees "fun".

  16. #16
    Based on Archeology...

    Perhaps now I understand why they deleted it...

  17. #17
    it was scrapped because blizz figured it was bad, and people would have to chose their path based on their class and spec rather than personal choice, people who would choose their favorite titan regardless of the bonuses would be "bads", and there was no time to go back and remake it from scratch.

    also, I personally hate the concept of it. joining a cult, do I look like a priest? lol

  18. #18
    Dreadlord Narshe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Caves of Narshe
    Posts
    999
    I think it could be a lot of fun if they reworked it to be "glyphs" that work more like guild perks or cosmetic glyphs, not increase character power. I really like how they reworked the talent system and adding something additional to it for max levels to work on and continue to "level" could be fun. People complain about dailies and rep grinds but I enjoy them as another version of leveling at max level.

    You could tie it in with new scenarios and add more story.

    http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,467
    I feel that the removal of Path of the Titans is what *caused* Archaelogy to be bland in the first place. It seemed (and still seems, though Lorewalkers help) terribly lackluster and just.. half-baked.

    Would've felt more rewarding and interesting if your digwork actually influenced something other than your wallet and mount/pets/vanity items count.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-01-30 at 02:09 PM.

    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

  20. #20
    I really wanted a non-talent tree progression. I was hoping to unlock more powerful skills/spells through long quest chains, dungeons, raids.

    But, I don't like archeology and digging and digging and digging. Archeology on my main is 0. I'm glad they saw tying path of the titans to archeology was a huge mistake and cut it off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •