Server change but keep names?

Hey there, a while back I had to give up raiding for a new job. I live in Australia but I play on US servers so naturally when I'm on people are sleeping and while I'm at work they are raiding. So long story short, I want to move servers but my wife doesn't want to lose her name, she's had it since vanilla and it just happens to be her real name. Is there a way to find out what servers we can transfer to and she would be able to keep her name. Any advice of someone who's been in a similar situation would be helpful. Cheers.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Search for her name on the armoury? Should give you at least an idea of servers that do have characters with that name

Yeah but I know it used to be something along the lines of one name per battle group, I'm just not sure if its still that way or hell if there are even battle groups anymore.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    The name is bound to the realm..
    There are only a few battle groups, but there are some names to be found in the hundreds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its one name per server, you can always go to a candidate server and roll a lv 1 with the name to see if its taken, then just delete the alt before you transfer. That way you will also save the name.

Deleted
    find a realm where the name is free (not already in use)
    create a random level one with that name
    do your transfer
    delete the level 1 you created and you'll have the name for yourself to use on that new realm
    VOILA! <3

*I guess I was typing that at the same time as someone else :P*

Deleted
    Dear Tumble,

It's very understandable that your wife wants to keep the name of her character! I have been playing with some characters for many years too, and I'd hate to suddenly play under a different character name What I would do is try to make a list of servers that you might want to transfer to. Then log on to those servers and create a lvl 1 character on alliance/horde and give him the exact name you want to have on your own character that you transfer.

Now two things can happen:

(1) Everything will go fine and you create your character. This means the name is still available, and you have now reserved it by taking the name. You should keep this alt until you are ready to transfer. Many people do this and call it a 'name reservation'. You can delete the lvl 1 alt when you are ready to transfer, and then your newly transferred character will have no trouble keeping his or her name

(2) You get a naming conflict stating that the name already exists. Tough luck here! The name is taken.. But you can always try to find the person on the armory and talk to him/her in-game. Perhaps it is a low-level alt that they do not mind deleting if you explain the entire situation!

Hope this helps, and good luck finding a proper new server to play on!

Edit: and yes we all three wrote the same thing at the same time

10+ Year Old Account
    Check the armory to see if there is a toon on the server you want to go to with that name.

If it exists and is active, tough luck. If it exists but the character is inactive, you can petition a GM to open the name on that realm. Usually they are able to do it if that person's account has been inactive for a period of time.