Page 1 of 2
LastLast

One, that didn't get away...

Hey,

does anyone has some tipps / advice on this achievement?
    That's the only one achievement that I still have to complete for the Salty Title....

I leveled fishing from 23-600 (alt), fishing the Dark Herring in Howling Fjord - no Dark Herring till now with over 2700 casts overall.

There's no real tips. Just gotta keep going and hope you'll be lucky.
    If you still need the turtle, fish in howling fjord pools.

If not, I did it in crystal lake in Elwynn forest (Best if you're alliance of course).

Well, one tip though:
    Get the addon WowVid and watch a movie/series while fishing. (Or play in windowed mode, if you stream it online).

Deleted
    wow. I thought they nerfed it. Got my herring in about 50 casts.

I highly recommend you wait for the Darkmoon Faire, and fish on the island. A lot of people report that there's a much higher chance of catching a Steelscale Crushfish there, and indeed, that's where I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    wow. I thought they nerfed it. Got my herring in about 50 casts.
    It's all about luck. The one in Crystal Lake took me 2k casts or so. While trying to get the sea turtle I accidentally get a dark herring within 40 minutes and the turtle shortly after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    It's all about luck. The one in Crystal Lake took me 2k casts or so. While trying to get the sea turtle I accidentally get a dark herring within 40 minutes and the turtle shortly after.
    Then you 2 must have had some extreme bad luck. Noone I know has had to fish for more than 30ish minutes to get the herring

Deleted
    I got this achievement a long time ago. Fished in stonebull lake for a 15 pound mudsnapper (took around 2000 casts).

I didn't even know the herring counts for this.

Then you 2 must have had some extreme bad luck. Noone I know has had to fish for more than 30ish minutes to get the herring
    Took me about 4 hours over 2 days off and on fishing to get mine in Cata. Still annoyed that Sea Turtle, Mr. Pinchy and Giant Sewer Rat don't count for this achievement as I got all three of them long before I saw my Dark Herring.

Still wish I could transmog mine.

Deleted
    over 6000 casts in Howling Fjord without my Herring. only part of the Meta left.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    over 6000 casts in Howling Fjord without my Herring. only part of the Meta left.
    Stupid question probably but are you fishing from Herring pools only?

I've done this on 3 different characters (before they made achievements account wide) and I always ended up just sitting down at Stonebull Lake for my Horde characters and the one just outside SW (mirror lake?) with the waterfall for my Alliance character.

It took me ~13000 casts my first time, ~6500 casts the second time, and ~10000 casts the last time.

I tired Howling Fjord fishing for the Dark Herring on several occasions with no luck.

The best advice I have for you is to find something else to do while you're fishing. Watch TV, read a book, whatever. Just get in the mindset that you're going to be sitting there for a long time and don't let yourself get distracted in game.
    Shroomkyn - Dark Iron US

I fished the Dark Herring in Fjord while hoping for the Turtle, I caught the Herring after about 900 casts, which compared to you guys is pretty lucky. I then caught the turtle along the coast of Twilight Highlands after about 500, another lucky occurrence. The Old Ironjaw took me ~3500 casts, though, and the Giant Rat took ~2500.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

It took me 10,000+ casts to get that achievement, 3000 were for dark herring. I eventually got it Mulgore, but have managed to fish up two dark herring since whilst turtle farming. My fish and other things statistic is at 30,596. That also includes Nat Pagle to exalted.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I did that achievement, I spent hours upon hours, trying to get the herring because people said it was so easy to get and that they caught it x times while just fishing merrily away. No luck.

I went to Elwynn, fished for 4 hours, no luck. Went to Mulgore, fished for some 2 hours, no luck. Didn't like being in Horde territory, relocated back to Elwynn...

After a total of 8 hours of fishing, I got that stupid Mudsnapper.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same situation as the original poster: fished, fished, fished, fished, fished... to no avail. RNG is RNG, though - and eventually (after many, many hours of fishing) I caught the danged Dark Herring. Just keep at it...

This took me hours upon hours to do.

I got mine on Howling Fjord,one of the best zones to catch your rare. Ofc it's lucky but for some reason I see that zone with good eyes.

About turtle meh, I gave up.... :'/ I spend around 1 month(played) i spend like 2 hours around 2 years almost all days trying to catch it and nothing. I tried on WOTLK on several zones and on catacysm zones mostly of Mount Hjal and Twilght Highlands and zeroooo.
    Last edited by David Cavalheiro; 2013-02-05 at 02:04 PM.

The week I finally won the BB fishing tournament I went to HF for the dark herring. That night I got the turtle. I didn't get the dark herring until almost 3 months after that, partially because I lost interest after the first week or so of farming it and finding nothing so stopped doing it on a daily basis.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

10+ Year Old Account
    2.7k casts aint that much tbh :/ i've had to do about 8-9k casts for One that didin't get away achievement. I've started fishing in Howling Fjord also, just so i could have a chance for both turtle and a rare catch, but after 5 or so thousands casts i decide to switch to Elwynn Forest and fish there.And finally after 3k casts i got my rare and my title.

B.E.R.T.H.A. yells: AFFIRMATIVE, CUPCAKE!

been farming this for about 4 months now. easily on 10k casts atm. still no luck.