Thread: Economics. WTF?

Economics. WTF?

Hi everyone.

I'm doing a project in university at the moment where I have to write a program that monitors wheat prices (very interesting). The problem I'm having at the moment is that the program has to implement a GARCH (generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity) model.

Wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoregressive_conditional_heteroskedasticity

Mind = Blown.

Having never done anything even remotely like this, I am in way over my head. From what I can understand, it will be used to predict the optimal prices for selling wheat. I really have no idea how to approach this. It doesn't necessarily have to be a GARCH model, it just has to be similar.

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

(ACHHH! This is in the wrong forum. Am I able to delete this?)

Quit asking on forums and engage with your tutors/lecturers. When I was an undergraduate people on my course severely underestimated the wealth of knowledge you can garner from talking to those teaching you. Don't turn up take notes and go home, learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Quit asking on forums and engage with your tutors/lecturers. When I was an undergraduate people on my course severely underestimated the wealth of knowledge you can garner from talking to those teaching you. Don't turn up take notes and go home, learn.
    I'm doing Business and Information Technology. We have, and never will, do anything even closely related to GARCH models. It's a part of a project where we develop software for a real company and this just happens to be what was requested. I have a meeting set up with one of my lecturers, mathematics lecturer and not economics, next week so we can talk about it but he told me that even he doesn't understand it. I'm asking now as I have a meeting with the customer on Friday so I need to have at least some understanding of this bloody thing.

This sounds like econometrics. This is when econ gets really interesting and more like a math/programing class. I would go talk to an econometrics teacher at your university. Mine only has one. I hope you have at least that many.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.