Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Old God
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I learned of it when Norwegians came in droves to steal our butter!
    We get that all year long, every year, Sweden is "cheap". rofl

    There are big supermarkets opening up on the swedish side of the border on a regular basis, great business. ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

  2. #62

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    You know...if enough nonsense is said in the presence of people who have actual knowledge of stuff, they are bound to lose their temper sooner or later. Cudos for the free lecture to Mrs. Lunatic, she needed some eye opening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Sexual assault is not always rape.
    *slowclap*

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You know...if enough nonsense is said in the presence of people who have actual knowledge of stuff, they are bound to lose their temper sooner or later. Cudos for the free lecture to Mrs. Lunatic, she needed some eye opening.
    This will not change her in any kind of way, and you are foolish to think it could. She obviously cannot be reasoned with and I would say that she is a typical attention whore.

  5. #65
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdm0_BLXnQE
    Someone buy this guy a beer.

  6. #66
    Well that was an interesting read. I find it unfortunate that such demented people are able to attain a position of power. I'd be hard pressed to find a Republican or ultra-conservative politician in power here in the states that's that overboard. Hopefully the education and common sense of Croatian citizens and students will at least get beyond this ridiculous sex ed issue. As for the polarization, all I can say is good luck.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

  7. #67
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Are people over there tall btw? I went to Gymnasium with a dude who's parents are Croatian and fucking hell he(and his dad to) are tall mother effers, he's like 2.10m, a cool guy, he's a pro handball player now, and his father is a police officer.
    Well, I have no idea how it is compared to the rest of the world since I live here, but according to this, only Scandinavians, Germans, Lithuanians and the Dutch are taller than Croats. And since you're Swedish, according to that, really tall people shouldn't be weird to you. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    <snip video>
    What they cut out is the part where she tells the student she's indoctrinated by communism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    This will not change her in any kind of way, and you are foolish to think it could. She obviously cannot be reasoned with and I would say that she is a typical attention whore.
    I'd just call her a delusional pseudo-scientist who's using "work" she calls science to further her political goals.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 10:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlokyldoreifanggore View Post
    Well that was an interesting read. I find it unfortunate that such demented people are able to attain a position of power. I'd be hard pressed to find a Republican or ultra-conservative politician in power here in the states that's that overboard.
    She hasn't got any power. She's an American invited here by the opposition to campaign against sex ed essentially. I think she lives in Israel though. Not sure.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 12:08 AM ----------

    Here's another video. In the first 20 seconds or so, the other woman tries to jump in and rescue Reisman from answering. The students rebel and she ends up answering as you can see. What I found rather funny is that the woman in pink at 2:07 sitting right of the dean behind him is my Croatian (as in language) teacher. Today, instead of giving a lecture, she chose to babble on how things about her were taken out of context and how that dean is an idiot (not that she used that word, but that's what she thought) for like half an hour.


  8. #68
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,399
    Inviting Reisman was the mistake of the century and many people agree. My dad is going rampant because of her. He truly hates her guts.

    I think we have still many holes to patch before we become a truly honorable country. I mean, our gay rights are basically non existent. I had many fights over gay rights and gay people in general with a few very close friends actually. They think being gay is a sin, and all gay people are horrible abominations. Yeah, that's the current social thinking in Croatia. Especially in Dalmatia.

    My only hope is that our new generation grows up more liberal, democratic and world open. Everyone who had anything to do with Yugoslavia should simply hide under some rock... they are almost all corrupt and extremely bad politicians. All they can and do is to steal the little money we have. My dad could talk about it all day long.

    Oh dear, I still love my home country.


    Edit: I would have taken her apart during that interview. She's so much full of bullshit, I actually have no words for it.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-01-31 at 02:22 AM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    [video=youtube;Wdm0_BLXnQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdm0_BLXnQE[video]
    That dean is awesome, though what was with his looking away from camera? And the woman, completely ludicrous and sounds like many of the religious zealots that I see around where I live.

    On topic:
    Sadly, progress cannot be made without political-polarization, due to progress requiring people change their beliefs, thankfully, the majority of those who hold conservative beliefs (Social conservative) are older, and will be phased out sooner or later due to death, and other things. (To those who would rip me for saying that, I'm not saying it's good they die, just merely stating an observation that well, that's one of the main ways their beliefs would be phased out)

    Glad to see Croatia starting to get up and running, wish only good luck for the future!
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  10. #70
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    That dean is awesome, though what was with his looking away from camera? And the woman, completely ludicrous and sounds like many of the religious zealots that I see around where I live.

    On topic:
    Sadly, progress cannot be made without political-polarization, due to progress requiring people change their beliefs, thankfully, the majority of those who hold conservative beliefs (Social conservative) are older, and will be phased out sooner or later due to death, and other things. (To those who would rip me for saying that, I'm not saying it's good they die, just merely stating an observation that well, that's one of the main ways their beliefs would be phased out)

    Glad to see Croatia starting to get up and running, wish only good luck for the future!
    The biggest issue in Croatia is that we cannot get away from the churches grip. This leads, undeniably, to bigotry and homophobia throughout many members of different parties and throughout the general public. But that's religion talk...

  11. #71
    Banned Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,092
    Jees, that is one hell of a dean. What a straight up guy.
    Regarding the hag...
    I would buy the dean a beer and her 20. Hopefully during some stroke of drunk genius haze she will build a time machine and end up in the past where she belong.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Don't post unless you read all of this.

    Personally, I'm extremely pleased with the government. The president, the prime minister, 15/17 ministers and the majority of the Parliament are atheists (in an 84% Catholic country). They're preaching tolerance and increasing minority rights. They've virtually removed all signs of corruption, they've prepared the country for the accession to the EU, and they've been introducing strict policies that are supposed to overturn the crisis fully and cause GDP growth next year. They've done all of that in 1 year, after the mess the right-wing party left the country in. They're also mostly socialist which fits my world view.

    So yeah, sorry for the huge wall, but there isn't really any way to shorten this down. I'm simply fishing for some international opinions, 'cause, frankly, I'm rather sick of the usual rhetoric that goes on here. Thanks for bothering to read this huge wall. Those of you that get this far at least.
    I read it.

    The lady sounds like a nut, but your country is wrongly represented, if you got 84% Catholics, and 88% of government are atheists (Atheists? - I am not sure is that word capitalized?, no belittling is intended).

    Given what you said before, about how your country has a tenancy to swing back and forth, and given that your government doesn't represent your citizens, I'd expect a big swing next election.
    I wouldn't use words such as tolerant and intolerant. Intolerant seems like a negative word, and it can be twisted to tolerant-toward-sodomy to mean that tolerant is a negative word. Better words would be progressive vs conservative.

    From what I can tell, "truth" is irrelevant to people. People believe what they want to believe, or what they feel is more beneficial to them. Some people love change so they want to turn world upside down at every chance they get. Other people hate change, and will not stray from the line no matter any evidence. It has more to do with feelings than truth.

    Most people don't want gay kids. One party claims to promote equality, the other party says they can prevent people's kids from being gay - it's an easy choice for most.

  13. #73
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I think we have still many holes to patch before we become a truly honorable country. I mean, our gay rights are basically non existent.
    That's not really true. Gay rights here are equivalent with all European countries excluding the 6 or so that have full gay marriage. In fact, Italy, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania and Albania all have significantly worse rights than Croatia and don't recognize gay unions at all. We at least have unregistered cohabitation which is soon to become civil union.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I had many fights over gay rights and gay people in general with a few very close friends actually. They think being gay is a sin, and all gay people are horrible abominations.
    Half of my class attends ethics classes and half attends religion. I'm obviously in the ethics part and we often talk about homosexuality there. They all pretty much accept homosexuality as natural and they think that it's stupid to restrict rights for people just because they might think it's disgusting to them. Most of them also support gay adoption, and those that don't only don't support it because they believe the discrimination that those kids would get because of having same sex parents would be excessive.

    I wouldn't know what the other part of the class think, but I'm pretty sure they aren't staunch homophobes. There's this problem in Croatia where people seem to think everyone around them is a homophobe which makes them think that they have to pretend they're homophobic too to avoid being condemned by the rest. Either way, the younger generations are a lot more liberal. I'm really glad about that.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 02:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    The lady sounds like a nut, but your country is wrongly represented, if you got 84% Catholics, and 88% of government are atheists (Atheists? - I am not sure is that word capitalized?, no belittling is intended).
    The fact there are so many atheists in the government means a few things. First, it shows that the country is secular, which is a good thing. Second, it shows how those Catholics aren't real Catholics as I've said before. Real Catholic have to vote for the other party (which probably has no atheists) because the views of this party goes against everything the Church says.

    So yeah, these are just people that like to call themselves Catholics because they believe there's some sort of Catholic culture they're bound to follow and pass on. In reality, most of them are deists or simply people who believe in a personal God that has little to do with the Church.

    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Given what you said before, about how your country has a tenancy to swing back and forth, and given that your government doesn't represent your citizens, I'd expect a big swing next election.
    I wouldn't. The current opposition party has lost all respect. Only extremists support them at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Most people don't want gay kids. One party claims to promote equality, the other party says they can prevent people's kids from being gay - it's an easy choice for most.
    Then why did the party that promotes equality get elected? Furthermore, why does that party continue to be supported and why does the number of people that support it continue rising as the conflict between the Church and the opposition (who say they can prevent kids from being gay) continue? Personally, I believe most people are smart enough here to realize that if anything, being homosexual isn't a choice and that it can't be prevented by anything. And that the only real answer is tolerance and full respect (rights).

  14. #74
    Wikiy, update us on who wins after your next election.

  15. #75
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Wikiy, update us on who wins after your next election.
    Gonna have to wait 4 years. But I'd be willing to bet everything I have that it's not going to be the opposition. xD

  16. #76
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,439
    OK I finally watched the video. Good god, I hope this isn't the impression people overseas get of Americans.
    She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean
    She was the best damned woman that I ever seen
    She had the sightless eyes, telling me no lies
    And knocking me out with those American thighs

  17. #77
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    OK I finally watched the video. Good god, I hope this isn't the impression people overseas get of Americans.
    Not really, but I can't say people don't stereotype and generalize Americans. It does happen. Unfortunately, I don't have a ban hammer in real life.

  18. #78
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    That's not really true. Gay rights here are equivalent with all European countries excluding the 6 or so that have full gay marriage. In fact, Italy, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania and Albania all have significantly worse rights than Croatia and don't recognize gay unions at all. We at least have unregistered cohabitation which is soon to become civil union.
    To be fair, that might be the legal status. Being gay is still frowned upon in Croatia, especially among older people. I have talked to many people in my life about being gay; not because I am gay myself, but because it reflects the social acceptance in general. As you ask people who are older, they tend to be very old fashioned and religious.

    Half of my class attends ethics classes and half attends religion. I'm obviously in the ethics part and we often talk about homosexuality there. They all pretty much accept homosexuality as natural and they think that it's stupid to restrict rights for people just because they might think it's disgusting to them. Most of them also support gay adoption, and those that don't only don't support it because they believe the discrimination that those kids would get because of having same sex parents would be excessive.
    Younger people are way more open to gay people and gay rights. Obviously, if you are already in the ethics group you will not find many people (if any) who are actually against gay people and their rights. It isn't the right place to look if you want to make a point about gay rights in general.


    I wouldn't know what the other part of the class think, but I'm pretty sure they aren't staunch homophobes. There's this problem in Croatia where people seem to think everyone around them is a homophobe which makes them think that they have to pretend they're homophobic too to avoid being condemned by the rest. Either way, the younger generations are a lot more liberal. I'm really glad about that.
    Really, Wikiy, I can only speak out of experience. Maybe I was just unlucky to end up in a homophobic circle of friends, but almost everyone I know in Zadar frequently says "fuck gay people, I would beat them up if they cross my way". Especially girls tend to describe being gay as disgusting and unnatural. That's quite ironic, however, because one of the most popular people in Zadar is a gay fashionista who openly walks around like a female slut.... always accompanied by his very own security. We call him "Macak" - which means kitty.

    http://www.index.hr/images3/c2fa8118...186016181e.jpg

    It's the guy on the right side. Sometimes he wears full red latex, hot-pants and straps.

    But it shows that we are on the right way. Even if some people think it's wrong, we need more people like him to raise awareness.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-01-31 at 04:19 PM.

  19. #79
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    To be fair, that might be the legal status. Being gay is still frowned upon in Croatia, especially among older people. I have talked to many people in my life about being gay; not because I am gay myself, but because it reflects the social acceptance in general. As you ask people who are older, they tend to be very old fashioned and religious.
    Well, I was addressing the gay rights part. As for the general social lack of acceptance, you're completely right. If you weren't, I might actually be out to more than 1 person.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Younger people are way more open to gay people and gay rights. Obviously, if you are already in the ethics group you will not find many people (if any) who are actually against gay people and their rights. It isn't the right place to look if you want to make a point about gay rights in general.
    The fact that at least half the class is tolerant enough is a good pointer towards at least some acceptance among the youth, and that was my point. The fact they're in the ethics class has little to do with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Really, Wikiy, I can only speak out of experience. Maybe I was just unlucky to end up in a homophobic circle of friends, but almost everyone I know in Zadar frequently says "fuck gay people, I would beat them up if they cross my way". Especially girls tend to describe being gay as disgusting and unnatural.
    Maybe the situation is just different in the capital. Or it may just be my class.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    But it shows that we are on the right way. Even if some people think it's wrong, we need more people like him to raise awareness.
    I disagree. I have nothing against him or people like him, but all they do is strengthen the image of what a gay male is in the minds of the population and spread stereotypes. It took me a long while to actually convince a few of my friends that a vast majority of gay people aren't at all like the stereotypes would have everyone believe. So yeah, personally, I do not appreciate at all what they're doing. They're only making it easier for everyone to hate the rest of us.

    Edit: We have our own Fashion Kitten in Zagreb - Marko Grubnić.

    Edit2: Regarding what I said about not appreciating what people like the Fashion Kittens are doing.... well, I'm just at a loss as to how I'm supposed to appreciate something like this. He appears at 1:00. It's not gay people who should appreciate what he does, it's people whose gender identity doesn't fully match their biological sex (who are, again, people against whom I have nothing).
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-31 at 05:15 PM.

  20. #80
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Not really, but I can't say people don't stereotype and generalize Americans. It does happen. Unfortunately, I don't have a ban hammer in real life.
    Doesn't Bouboublobulo send you one IRL when you start as a moderator?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •