Commando Trooper in PvP? =)

Heya!

Im thinking of resubbing, and my main before i stopped was a Commando Trooper.
    But i did only lvl up to 50 and tryed some pvp etc, then my economy went down and i couldent afford to spend money on some game subs.

So my question is hows the commando trooper in pvp? healer or damage any of the specs. Would like to know since i did enjoy the short time i had to pvp =D

Thanks folks!!

There's good things and bad things with it.

For DPS specs you are reliant on a lot of abilities which require cast time which means you are prone to getting interrupted. Even though you wear heavy armor you are still a fairly squishy class but to make up for it you can do significant damage from range.

This makes the class a support DPS class as strange as that sounds. You are reliant on others to be the center of attention and/or peels in order for you to do any kind of significant damage and rest assured that if you are allowed to free cast you can do devastating damage.

This can be a curse though. You can often find yourself continually targeted maybe even more so than a healer since your survivability is lower than that of a healer. Your success is going to be reliant on the rest of your group. You can find yourself topping the charts in damage, DB and solo kills and then the next game you are bottom of the barrel in damage and managed to get killed at least a dozen times.

As a healer even though people will consider yourself the worst healer that doesn't mean that you can't hold your own. Because you are the least mobile healer there will be times where you are going to need to heal in people's faces. The skill is knowing when to blow cooldowns and when you can successfully pull that off. Compared to a scoundrel healer you might feel at a disadvantage but I've seen crazy healing from commando'es and they are a very viable pvp healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately Commando has the least amount of things going for it in either DPS or Healer spec. That's not to say you can't be an effective teammate though, but you won't see many Commando/Mercs out there.

As for Commando healers, the one big thing they have going for them is the period where they can heal and are immune to interrupts. I've also seen some Commandos dish out crazy fast heals with 1.4 cast times. It made interrupts very hard.

As long as you aren't focused... it's cool and you dish out enough damage. When being focused.. not so much. Commandos/ Mercenary has great burst damage but as soon as you got someone onto you you are left with knockback and slowdown or you pop your instant cast and use your 60s stun and run away or heal yourself.

Healer are thougher to heal because of their immunity they can pop which makes them second thoughest to kill after operative/ scoundrel while consulars/ sorcerer being the easiest to kill. This matters because if the other team has any sense they will focus as soon as a healer presses a heal. However I haven't seen any crazy numbers form a commando/ mercenary heal in pvp because they aren't played that much.

One thing I like about commandos is the instant heal you have whenever you have built 5 stacks with grav round.
    Last edited by Psychlon; 2013-01-31 at 05:15 AM.

Deleted
    Commando healers are cool...you get the big green beam The downside of that is that even the worst tunnel visioned PvP DPSers can't fail to spot you as a healer!
    For PvP DPS as Psychlon said, if your positioning is good and you are left to it you can knock out some supreme damage...once you get targeted though you will do well to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    For PvP DPS as Psychlon said, if your positioning is good and you are left to it you can knock out some supreme damage...once you get targeted though you will do well to survive.
    I would say the best map for survival is huttball due to your knockback abilities.

Thanks for the answers, i resubbed today and im patching right now=)

Might consider lvling a Sith Assassin, watched a couple of vids they seems to be quite fun to play =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Assassin is a good choice. Its basically a Battlemage with stealth, and my favorite class overall.