Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Stacking Buff from Wipes in LFR -- What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong?

From the PTR notes:

To encourage Raid Finder groups to persevere, each time an Raid Finder group wipes on a boss fight all players in the group receives a stacking buff that increases health, damage dealt, and healing done by 5% (up to a maximum of 10 stacks). This buff is cleared once the boss has been killed.
    This is going to be hilarious if it goes live. I can see LFR groups deliberately wiping multiple times to build up the buff, especially if you just need one person to trigger the wipe & die to get an increment for the whole group.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I bet some people will want to wipe 10 times to get the buff so they can link awesome deepz to friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I bet some people will want to wipe 10 times to get the buff so they can link awesome deepz to friends.
    Sounds about right but its a big west of time...

I imagine 'wipe' means 90%+ dead. In the time it takes you to stack the buff, you probably could've killed it anyway. So it works just as a failsafe for truly terrible groups.

e: Ha, 2k posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Sounds about right but its a big west of time...
    If they use this as an excuse to tune up LFR so that initial wipes become the norm, groups may actually save time by deliberately wiping a few times (and save on repair costs by having everyone get nekkid before these wipes.) If a group is waiting for tanks or healers, deliberate wipes would be a fine way to spend that time too.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

i feel this would break the mechanics of raids. also this is poor raid training for people who want to learn to raid seriously

I saw that in the updated patch notes and I had to ask myself "Is this really an issue that needs addressing?". Maybe I have just been insanely lucky, but in nearly 3 months of running LFR, a group I was in has wiped exactly once. I think it almost would take more time and effort to wipe than to kill the boss.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    I saw that in the updated patch notes and I had to ask myself "Is this really an issue that needs addressing?". Maybe I have just been insanely lucky, but in nearly 3 months of running LFR, a group I was in has wiped exactly once. I think it almost would take more time and effort to wipe than to kill the boss.
    Last night I wiped 16 times on Tsulong (not even joking). You're very lucky.
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Angmooren View Post
    i feel this would break the mechanics of raids. also this is poor raid training for people who want to learn to raid seriously
    LFR was never good training for those who wanted to learn to raid seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Angmooren View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about LFR that is raid training for people who want to learn to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Last night I wiped 16 times on Tsulong (not even joking). You're very lucky.
    What in the world possessed you to stay for that many wipes O.o

I think it means that they suspect that LFR is over-tuned and that they've convinced themselves that its good training for normal raiding. We'll see if it will work. The increased drop rate has to bring joy to the compulsively unlucky. Using my crystal ball, I see casuals complaining that LFR has become unpredictable in length. I suspect the buff won't convince people to stay groups which aren't progressing. My greatest concern is that the buff will allow progress while AFK parasites continue to do nothing.

Huh?

Griefing aside, why would you want to wipe on purpose? As soon as you kill the boss the % buff goes away, and you want to kill the boss to get your 28g50s and move on.

The only problem is that I could see the devs using the buff as an excuse to make LFR harder, with the expectation that as players learn the fights better, gear up, etc, they won't wipe as much. But that is a bad idea, because you still get new players in LFR every single week, even today, and half of the older players just /afk and wait for their 28g50s. And the other half is DPSing in a tank or heal spec so they're eligible to get loot!
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2013-01-30 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    What in the world possessed you to stay for that many wipes O.o
    It was late and I'd been in queue for about 1hr30mins. I was half asleep and still topped dps in crap gear -_-.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Huh?

Griefing aside, why would you want to wipe on purpose? As soon as you kill the boss the % buff goes away, and you want to kill the boss to get your 28g50s and move on.

The only problem is that I could see the devs using the buff as an excuse to make LFR harder, with the expectation that as players learn the fights better, gear up, etc, they won't wipe as much. But that is a bad idea, because you still get new players in LFR every single week, even today, and half of the older players just /afk and wait for their 28g50s. And the other half is DPSing in a tank or heal spec so they're eligible to get loot!
    Dat recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I imagine 'wipe' means 90%+ dead. In the time it takes you to stack the buff, you probably could've killed it anyway. So it works just as a failsafe for truly terrible groups.

e: Ha, 2k posts.
    You mean, the boss 90%+ dead? Unlikely.

I can't wait for the winners in LFR to start proposing 10 quick wipes before starting the boss for real.

Deleted
    I don't like this change. It is a pretty weird one too.

Don't know why they don't just make the bullshit faceroll. People don't do LFR to have fun raiding, they do it to get gear to do real raids.

Sure, show us the mechanics that's fine, but make it so they don't even matter anyway.

For example: Don't stand in decimate on Spirit Kings, in LFR it will hit you for 5 percent health with a huge popup saying "IN NORMAL OR HEROIC THAT WOULD HAVE KILLED YOU AND PROBABLY WIPED THE GROUP."

as if lfr wasn't easy enough. In total I've only wiped 2-3 times in LFR since MOP

Deleted
    It won't give you the buff if you just wipe on the pull. There's going to be a health/time threshold or something similar that you need to pass for it to count as a wipe.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...n-raid-finder/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashiok

There is a minimum attempt requirement before the system 'credits' you with a wipe. It should always be more time-efficient to not wipe at all, but if it isn't we can tweak the threshold.