Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No Love for Tanks

I feel like the most hated role in WoW is tanking. There has been only one tank specific legendary throughout the entirety of the game(not including the eye). Even with the new gems none have been tank specific while all of them clearly work perfectly for dps or healing. You can argue that str and agi are good for tanks but in all honesty, they are not for tanks. Does anyone else feel the same way or are other tanks content with how the legendaries are in the expansion?

Deleted
    A legendary shield would be awesome.

It will never happen though :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree tanks deserve a legendary, but it's hard to itemise for them since there is no universal tanking weapon type, and I feel like if Blizzard is going to do this they should do it in a way that inclusive for all tank specs/classes.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they've pretty much said that they want to move away from the class/role-specific legendaries. But I do agree that this expansion's legendaries could be more tank-friendly. The problem with tank stuff is that tanks don't itemize quite the same way as DPS and healers. There's never quite one stat that every tank goes for, and it would be kinda hard to make a secondary effect that would work for all tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The strength and agility gems are fine for tanks. Stamina would be a more obvious "I'M A TANK GEM" stat, but most tanks don't stack stamina unless they're severely undergeared. The strength gem is almost equivalent to what a parry gem would be (except it also comes with attack power), and of course the agility tanks are designed to heavily favor agility.

The only way to make a really good tank gem would be to make a mastery one, and even then not every tank favors mastery.

As a tank, it is a little hard to decide what they need to put into tanking stats. DKs need mastery, Pallies want haste, sometimes people want stam etc. Though the last epic better include a tanking item for all.

I would even think of going for a trinket that would be optimal for all tanks. To make up for it not being seen on the character, it could have a cool spell effect and be viable for every tank class.

How many healer specific legendaries have there been again?

Atiesh, Valynyr, and both gems from this expansion so I'd say you have had it much better than tanks.

What would the tank legendary be, though? If they made it a shield, no one would want druid or death knight tanks for their raids. Same goes for other weapon types. They could make it a choose-your-own style thing like the Battered Hilt weapon from Wrath, but that wouldn't feel like a real legendary.

Honestly, I think they need to just stop putting Legendaries in the game. They just screw with balance and cause drama.

Tanking cloak would be awesome. Make it have both agility and str to make it even more legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahine View Post
    Atiesh, Valynyr, and both gems from this expansion so I'd say you have had it much better than tanks.
    Ateish wasn't healer specific
    And I don't know why you say "you", I play a Mage

/trollface Frostmourne for dk's?

I think if it was as simple as a single weapon that could be used for all the tanks you would be set. Seems like out of the what, 5 tanks? That only warrior and paladin share a weapon type in one handed swords and shields. There is your handicap right there. We'll have to wait and see how the quest line plays out. Legendary weapons haven't actually been introduced yet this xpac after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Ateish wasn't healer specific
    And I don't know why you say "you", I play a Mage
    The druid and priest versions were, until mid-BC-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    /trollface Frostmourne for dk's?

I think if it was as simple as a single weapon that could be used for all the tanks you would be set. Seems like out of the what, 5 tanks? That only warrior and paladin share a weapon type in one handed swords and shields. There is your handicap right there. We'll have to wait and see how the quest line plays out. Legendary weapons haven't actually been introduced yet this xpac after all.
    Monks and druids both use agility staffs and polearms. But yeah, the only way to make a tank legendary weapon is to have three different versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The druid and priest versions were, until mid-BC-ish.
    Those weren't the only versions though, the OP specified tank-specific :0

Tanking weapons aren't standardised, but perhaps a legendary tanking helm would be. Leather for druids/monks and plate for paly/war/DK. Seems like something you could wear with pride too (well aside for druid bears).

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Tanking weapons aren't standardised, but perhaps a legendary tanking helm would be. Leather for druids/monks and plate for paly/war/DK. Seems like something you could wear with pride too (well aside for druid bears).
    How about one that can transform into either a shield or a spear. The spear version obviously would need a str version for DK's but that just some diffrent stats. The biggest problem is probably the fact that shields are not as desirable as weapons, even though a truly unique tower shield (yeah its time for another frikking huge and therefore proper shileld like Bullwark of Azzinoth, blocking a dragon with a buckler is just retarded) would be something most warrior/paladins would enjoy. The theme of spear and shield is one that isn't properly explored in wow anyway,

In the end, should one come, my guess would be that is just a spear/staff. We've already seen that Blizzard doesn't give a shit when it comes to equal distribution when they made a single class legendary with fangs of the father and hid large parts about wrathions lore from the rest of the player base.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-01-31 at 07:20 AM.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we get to nitpick about this? Shadowmourne wasn't usable by ALL dps-classes and the last legendary was ROGUES only... You can never please anyone.

I'm up for a shield or an awesome helmet either way.
    I do think tanks deserve more love.

Or... maybe class-specific legendaries in the future...

Deleted
    There has been only one legendary hunter weapon in the whole game.
    No polearm.
    Plus, there has been only one one handed mace for the healers.

Well in fact, everyone but rogues, retpals & warriors (damage dealers) and staff users only had one legendary weapon.
    I do not put the death knights with retpals and warriors since even if they can equip Sulfuras & warglaives, they only had one legendary weapon in their time. (Which is Shadowmourne)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    A legendary shield would be awesome.

It will never happen though :P
    Oddly enough when the silhouettes of the weapons that would later be used as the Sha touched weapons in the legendary quest chain were first posted on MMO, a shield was among the icons present in the post. All of them made it to live as Sha Touched items, bar the shield.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.