1. #1

    RAM question (speeds)

    Hello fellow mmo-ers,

    I have been looking for a nice gaming laptop for some time now and am just about to make a choice. There is but one issue. Should I got with 16GB 1333mhz or 8gb 1600mhz? And why?

    Greetings,
    Orash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,688
    8gb 1600.

    Anything over 8gb is likely a waste (unless you do something that you know needs more. if you aren't sure you need more, you dont)
    1600 is usually cheaper, or the same price as 1333. Which there isn't much of a real performance difference, why get slower for the same price?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Orash View Post
    Hello fellow mmo-ers,

    I have been looking for a nice gaming laptop for some time now and am just about to make a choice. There is but one issue. Should I got with 16GB 1333mhz or 8gb 1600mhz? And why?

    Greetings,
    Orash
    You really don't need 16GBs to game. You would need some other piece of software in mind before anyone is going to suggest 16GBs over the 8GB option you've allowed us to vote.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the responses! 8gb it is! to bad it will cost me 250€ extra over the other laptop which is spec wise the same except its the 16gb 1333 version :P.

    But really thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

  5. #5
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    865
    I highly doubt that spending 250 euros extra is worth it if the only noticeable difference is the speed in ram you provided.

    As said before, 8gig is enough unless you willingly need more for high end software. And, as was said as well, the performance boost is apparently minimal.

    It might help if you link the two laptops you're looking into. There might be other differences that posters here have opinions about that would make spending 250 euros extra worth it, or definitely not worth it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Orash View Post
    Thanks for the responses! 8gb it is! to bad it will cost me 250€ extra over the other laptop which is spec wise the same except its the 16gb 1333 version :P.

    But really thanks!
    Surely there must be some other differences between the two other than RAM speed?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  7. #7
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,688
    I'm betting two laptops from two places, with different prices regardless of ram. If the only difference is the ram, take the cheaper laptop. Neither 1333/1600 ram speed, nor 8/16 size will make a performance difference.

  8. #8
    MSI : http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/prod...g/details.aspx
    Erazer : http://www.medion.com/nl/prod/MEDION...top/30014970A1

    both dutch websites, but the specs stay the same in any laanguage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Orash View Post
    Thanks for the responses! 8gb it is! to bad it will cost me 250€ extra over the other laptop which is spec wise the same except its the 16gb 1333 version :P.

    But really thanks!
    The answer I provided earlier assumed the ram was the only difference and with that assumption the 8GBs would certainly be no where close to 250€ extra. If you're comparing two entirely different machines, I agree with another poster in that you should just link the two machines. It would make the opinions you get a lot more realistic for the situation you're really dealing with.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Orash View Post
    MSI : http://www.komplett.nl/komplett/prod...g/details.aspx
    Erazer : http://www.medion.com/nl/prod/MEDION...top/30014970A1

    both dutch websites, but the specs stay the same in any laanguage.
    What you are linking are 2 different brands, while the Medion is built on the same MSI platform there can be several differences when it comes to warranty, software included and such things.

    I also think that the Medion model doesn't use the Steelseries keyboard that the MSI model uses.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  11. #11
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    617
    MSI doesn't have an SSD, the Medion one does. All other specs are pretty much the same. Sucks that they made the 16 GB 1333, but I'd still go for the Medion laptop.

    I've had one for 5+ years, and never had any complaints about the brand. MSI on the other hand... Bad bad customer service.
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •